Serious 95% of landlords are fucking scumbags

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by HBaguette, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Poopship McGee

Poopship McGee Old Stock Canadian
    Premium Member WW3 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    because they choose to hold onto the land and rent it out to people, rather than hold onto it and keep it vacant, selling it as a whole when property values go up...?

honestly though, I think landlords are great for renting out land rather than just holding and selling when prices rise up.

2. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer i like firetruck and moster truck

Nebulae:
    how did you come up with this assessment

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sayaro

Sayaro Quark

Nebulae:
    I was wondering the same thing. Usually it's the other way around according to the history of antiquity, that is to say a tyrant and then direct democracy. CF: Ancient Greece, except Sparta.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter10 a wesome

peter10 a wesome Neutrino
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    it's like going to vacation to naples, buying a shitty fridge magnet for 5€ when the dude got it for free from CARITAS and saying "i fail to see how this is the fault of the seller?"

being a greedy shithead has no excuse

or writing a nice essay and the teacher thinks it's shit so she gives u a bad mark.
    "i fail to see how this is the fault of the teacher?"

5. Poopship McGee

Poopship McGee Old Stock Canadian
    Premium Member WW3 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    pretty sure it was a roman/greek philosopher.

also, federalist papers no 10.

6. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer i like firetruck and moster truck

Nebulae:
    I don't think the Romans had enough experience with direct democracy to really properly judge it. Didn't help they weren't exactly friends of Athens either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FMDev

FMDev Funny SCP Man

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 8
  8. Zak

Zak Resident xenophile
    Developer

Nebulae:
    @Powley you say "oh well just don't live in a shithole" as if that's easy to do

in many places, a lot of people get caught in a vicious cycle of being unskilled/uneducated, thus being unable to find a well-paying job, thus being unable to afford anything beyond basic living expenses (including shitty living conditions), thus being unable to afford to stop working and go to college/trade school/find an apprenticeship, thus being unskilled and uneducated, thus being unable...

you get the point, right? it's pretty similar to what i'm working with now, in that i can barely spare the time to look for some kind of trade skills to get into, and i abso-fucking-lutely can't afford higher education

compounding that issue is the fact that a lot of (not all) landlords are fucking terrible and do the bare minimum to hold up their end of the contract. i've heard many, many horror stories from close friends of landlords who have ignored issues reported to them for months, only for that issue to degrade into something that can't be ignored any longer, resulting in the landlord trying to blame them for the damage. in many cases, you're facing a similar issue where you technically have legal protections from that happening, but people can't spare the time or money to take it to a lawyer.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. big chungus

big chungus Electron

Nebulae:
    Anprim gang rise up

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Postal

Postal Nucleus
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    rip my family

11. Bronn

Bronn Molecule

Nebulae:
    no landlords and you live with your parents until you inherit their home, get kicked out on the street or buy your own house

its not like the government will let you take their properties if all landlords were to magically disappear and it's not like any other ideology could successfully ensure everyone gets a roof

personally though, if they tried to evict me during a pandemic i would just go to a friend's house or move back with my family, it's not worth the hassle or the money dealing with such a person unless they are relying solely on the rent cash, then I would understand them

12. Leather Clad Lad

Leather Clad Lad `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    Isn't that basically HL2

13. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    everybody knows the USSR started when VI Lenin petitioned the tsars for better housing

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Powley

Powley Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    I said if you can't afford an apartment or a house at the prices the landlord is renting them at, there's plenty of alternatives or you could even put in to be housed by the government. Considering the majority of the people posting are British and complaining it should be noted that new housing has been cropping up consistently now, with rent for a two bedroom house costing 400 pounds per month. That's affordable.

Everyone seems to focus that the landlord will do them out of money, but seem to forget that tenants can be just as bad?

15. '77 East

'77 East Rictal-Approved
    WW3 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    tent in a small block of land, easy.

*must be in a good rural area and own a tent.

16. peter10 a wesome

peter10 a wesome Neutrino
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    ummm dont really know why you're saying that, because i lived in the UK and have been paying 3000€/month for a detached 1family home. it wasn't anything like a new home either, and the walkway in front was muddy and rotten like a proper UK one.

the house was in the complete fucking outskirts of the city (1 hour by bus to get to the city centre) and yeah, it was probably the best fucking deal.

#116 peter10 a wesome, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  17. Powley

Powley Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    What part of the UK exactly?

18. Larry Gibbons

Nebulae:
    You are what's wrong with our society.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. Dr Heckyll

Dr Heckyll Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    not the price gougers, not the profiteers, not the filthy exploiters and shameless plutocrats, not the lobbyists, not stock market gamblers throwing away people’s life savings
    But someone saying some things

good to know.

• Agree Agree x 12
  20. Zak

Zak Resident xenophile
    Developer

Nebulae:
    may be different in the uk, but government housing is incredibly limited here because so many people try to use it

in addition, what alternatives are there? if you're having trouble financially, you almost certainly looked for the cheapest renting to begin with, so it's not like you can just pack up and move to something cheaper. can't just go buy a house if you're in that sort of situation. can't always move further away in search of better prices, because that may result in you being unable to commute to work.

and finally, the whole "but tenants are bad too!" thing just fucking reeks of whataboutism. yeah, tenants can be fucking awful, does that somehow excuse shitty behavior from the landlord? if a pipe in my bathroom were to burst and i keep telling the landlord and end up having to patch it myself after a month of not getting it fixed, can the landlord excuse that as "yeah well some tenants broke it in the past so that's why i didn't fix it"? and then refuse to reimburse your repairs because of that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice