Serious A HL2 Related Project (NPC's)

Toast Lord

Electron
Nebulae
So, A bit ago, in the middle of September (do you remember) I began working on a small project for giggles in order to at least in a attempt in order to learn some code. I've decided on an idea: Using a similar Addon for gmod that is like Sabreans Zombie randomizer for Combine soldiers. So. I've picked random skins of Combine Soldiers I felt I liked, and put them into NPC's with a randomizing script. Here is the result:

9c89953f05287c02677b4f41debafa5e.jpg

9d668646ad77a07413769ca19f910e06.jpg

Here shows the (as of now) Number of skins I've included

And a video to show a bit of a proof of concept

Note: Some addons are affected by this, like Combine Units +, It seems to affect anything that calls upon npc_combine_s and its elite counterpart; VJ NPC's are not affected since they're coded completely from scratch from what I can imagine

So you will probably ask "Toast, What the F*ck did you do exactly?" Well I can explain the process of what I've done:

1. I picked out a bunch of skins I kind of liked, and grabbed their VMT and VMF files
  2. I then proceeded to rename said VMT and VMF's to their numbers
  3. I then re-compiled both Elite and Soldier models in order to have multiple skins, rather than a model for each skin (Saves space)
  4. Created two seperate models for each: One to replace the regular soldier models, another hexed. (The non hexed will be used for the randomization of soldiers, while the hexed will be used for specific spawned variations)
  5. Then coded a script for a basic randomizer for every combine soldier spawned. It will randomize a single skin for each spawned soldier. Another benefit of using skin randomization than models, is cause it wont break animations for scripted spawn NPC's, Ex: NPC's that are spawned in certain maps to rappel down edges or such.
  6. Coded NPC's for each single skin (So far)
  7. Then worked up the Balls to post this onto the forums
  8. Then decide to waste time by adding an extra number to the list

That's pretty much it. Things I plan to do:

1. I've notice some people I asked about this addon say that certain skins I chose aren't really good looking. I would eventually like to learn how to create options to disable certain skins from being spawned in the randomizer
  2. Begin finding skins for Nova Prospekt soldiers
  3. Find a way to actually make shotgun soldiers randomized
  4. Perhaps make a randomizer for Striders, and Hunters.
Thats pretty much it. Lemme know what you guys think.
(Developers): If you'd like to see the code for any comments/suggestions, post and I shall show)

Last edited: