Serious A little issue about realism and gameplay.

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by Dingus, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Dingus

Dingus Nucleus

Nebulae:
    Hey guys, this here is really just a small thread which I'd just really like to get some answers from. How do you roleplay certain things? For example, how would you roleplay surgery? Would you completely do it via /me or f2b parts of it? I want to know.

Why this question? There are a lot of things that you face whilst in-game. That being to perform either a medical procedure you might not know, a production of something you might also not know, construction of some sorts that simply isn't on Google or maybe even the fabric of improvised explosive device.

It just goes down to being comfortable and uncomfortable with things. As I am maining the Union side right now, as a Civil Worker, I like to do a lot of projects surrounding the COMMUNE. Those being the construction of certain infrastructures, but I have no actual experience nor idea on what to do in these situations even with research.

So, tell me. What do you do? And what advice do you have to offer me?

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  2. Mute

Mute Atom

Nebulae:
    When I was UM I RPd surgeries since there are a lot of explinations about each one you might need on the internet that are readily avaliable

I never had a problem with it cause I’m mostly desensitized to surgeries and wounds and shit, plus you dont really actually see them, never even had anyone complain about my RP either

If i didnt know what to do I would just wing it, your character is human, remember that, you are allowed to make mistakes and you shouldnt be ashamed of it

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  3. RabidMaggot93

RabidMaggot93 Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Just wing it with a bit of research.

So long as you aren't doing outlandish shit and saying it works or doing something blatantly suicidal (drinking medigel) nobody will care.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lemon Cuntcake

Lemon Cuntcake Sells cheap beer
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    Good ol' times when clicking on medigel gave you an option to drink or drop it

Somebody said that some loremaster in early 2013 explained it that when you drink it, your tissue regeneration instantly bumps to something over 1000%. HL2RP and it's logic at it's finest, toddler years

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  5. Jeffreyyyyy

Jeffreyyyyy Electron

Nebulae:
    I've been thinking about realism too, debating that if most of us are starving, should I just wing it and plant seeds I have icly, or should I wait for five centuries, for some person who I may never even meet, to tell me how deep to plant and how often to water.

6. rob

rob Nucleus

Nebulae:
    realism isn't at the top of the list of things that entertain me and rightfully so

consider the universe we are in where there are omniscient slugs, hoofed goblins that can resurrect people, etc. etc.

my viewpoint however is not popular, i understand people prefer realism over the wacky and outlandish stuff

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RaphaelDeFusco

Nebulae:
    If you intend to make a farming plot and expect to get scripts out of it, you should probably ask the staff team to get it approved. If you just intend to RP farming food for no scripts but just as a means of roleplay, just go ahead. As someone stated somewhat above, just do a little research so you can atleast explain your actions somewhat realisticly and wing it from there.

8. Jeffreyyyyy

Jeffreyyyyy Electron

Nebulae:
    I just feel worried that if I look up something, without knowing how watermelon is maintained icly, well my concern is that I will be cheating in a way, that's why I don't look up things online for research, you can tell me what you think about that, why it isn't, is cheating, bleh, you know what i mean man

9. sots

sots Atom

Nebulae:
    being a medic in rebelrp was sick because by the end of it i was a real doctor with the amount of obscure shit i had to google
    my favourite was probably googling "how to treat a collapsed lung" and just saying "idk lol" after about 30 minutes of reading the same few pages over and over

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  10. freddie

freddie the freakster

Nebulae:
    ppl who f2b medrp are cowards
    if i dont know how to do it oocly i dont know how to do it icly, i just improvise everything, rarely google things
    thats how u have fun

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  11. rob

rob Nucleus

Nebulae:
    that puts me out of the picture then, all of my chars would be pked

12. freddie

freddie the freakster

Nebulae:
    improvising and rolling during medrp, especially rebel medrp is the best tbh
    [​IMG]
    fuck UM i got tha scripts

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jeffreyyyyy

Jeffreyyyyy Electron

Nebulae:
    back in cw i tried being a very basic medic, i could only sew wounds, and bandage wounds.

14. Con the god of fire

Nebulae:
    If I try really hard, I can just wave my hand over a gunshot wound and make it go away.

#14 Con the god of fire, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • nebulous nebulous x 1
  15. PandaCG

PandaCG Hates Combine for Kill Family
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    for most construction/medical scenes i do, i literally just steal whatever i'd need to do in ss13 for inspiration (the game's cartoonish but it does a good job at summing up the basics in the most simple way possible) and improvise everything else

as for actual events/stories/what have you in-game though, realism isn't that necessary. entertainment > realism. there's plenty of things far more fun to do than construction, medical, and all that boring chore shit- unless you're playing citizen, then you just have to take what you can get :stuck_out_tongue:ensive:

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  16. Rainbowlarva

Rainbowlarva Electron

Nebulae:
    Doing the full thing in /me's is completely unecessary for anyone involved and just wastes time. The only times I would say completely roleplaying out a surgery is applicable is when it's part of an evaluation from a higher up, purely to make sure you can grasp the concept.

Otherwise, it's boring as all hell for the person getting surgery. They really only care for the after effects and how they're going to RP that out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. PandaCG

PandaCG Hates Combine for Kill Family
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    the main thing medical is good for is giving people more jobs to do

construction actually serves a purpose cause it gives context as to why that weird thing that wasn't there yesterday is there now

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rainbowlarva

Rainbowlarva Electron

Nebulae:
    I really dislike that the current UM systems require you to google information you don't know instead of applying improvisation to your roleplay on the different medical topics. I'm sure it would make some people upset, but I don't think you're going to get any better at roleplay if you can't guess and have fun. That's one of the main reasons why I dropped out of the faction.

Don't google things. Turn off your OOC chat or move it onto a new chat tab and start making things up. Most of the time people will go along with it and if not, that's just something you don't want to see. As far as actual involvement goes, don't worry about roleplay ability either. If you find someone that's struggling to type full sentences or can't OOCly follow the instructions, single them out in a nice way and help chug them along. Doing that myself has actually made shifts enjoyable for me, up until people realized they can still PM me directly to complain.

All in all don't get discouraged, and don't google because that's not fun nor will it help you in game really.

19. Breathing ツ

Breathing ツ Proton

Nebulae:
    Extremely true actually. You just sit there and watch as the RP lines go by or you groan rp, but in many ways that sort of RP isn't really for you, it's mostly for the medical worker.
    I can see what you mean but I overall disagree. I think googling helps the person understand a topic more and allows them to create precise roleplay. There are cases where you should improvise versus going full ham in your medical roleplay. On the other hand as well, you shouldn't google something that your character shouldn't know: say I'm playing as a chef but I want to know how to perform a certain surgery. It's more so a case by case thing but I still disagree.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  20. Rainbowlarva

Rainbowlarva Electron

Nebulae:
    Yeah I think it just depends on the person as far as that goes. Like I posted in the UM convo, I just don't think it's the style of RP for me after having tried it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice