Serious A question about RAM slots

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
So, basically I need simple answers for this. My motherboard has 4 ram slots, 2 each different colours (2 Black and 2 blue) I'm aware that you need to plug the two same RAM cards into the same colour.

But I'm wondering, if I keep my 2x4 GB ram cards into the blue slot and install 2x8 GB ram cards into the black slot, that both of them will work in total of 24 GB of ram?

To add up: Once I'm planning to do this if it works, I'm going to upgrade my graphic card aswell, letting ya know for the record.

Will it work?
Would it be functional without issues?
Will it boost up my PC's performance 3 times better?

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
Just be sure they're the same DDR type, if it's old, it's lilely DDr3, don't put ddr4 in or you'll force it and end up breaking the pins

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
Just be sure they're the same DDR type, if it's old, it's lilely DDr3, don't put ddr4 in or you'll force it and end up breaking the pins
I know, I'm aware but what will it do in my system?

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
Send me pictures or spec sheets of the RAM.

And fuck no it wouldn't boost your performance by a multiplier of three. It probably won't boost it at all in application.

It might work but I need to know what you're working with.

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
I'm unsure exactly but I'm currently dealing with 2 xKingston ValueRAM's 4GB DDR3 and I might add these or something else:
Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (2x8 GB)

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
I'm unsure exactly but I'm currently dealing with 2 xKingston ValueRAM's 4GB DDR3 and I might add these or something else:
Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (2x8 GB)

How many sticks is the uh Kingston's RAM?

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
Oh, I said it was 2x Kingston ValueRAM's 4GB DDR3

Yeah, I got it. I think we're on different pages, let me rephrase.

You have 4 Gigs of Kingston RAM.
How many physical sticks, of RAM, do you have of Kingston? Are you saying you have 2 sticks, that total 4 Gigs, or 2 sticks, that total 8?

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
Yeah, I got it. I think we're on different pages, let me rephrase.

You have 4 Gigs of Kingston RAM.
How many physical sticks, of RAM, do you have of Kingston? Are you saying you have 2 sticks, that total 4 Gigs, or 2 sticks, that total 8?
2 sticks of 4GB = 8GB total

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
2 sticks of 4GB = 8GB total

Yeah fuck that, just use the 16 GB of Corsair. Its faster and you don't need more than 16GB. If for some reason you do, and trust me you'd know, you can put in the rest and assuming your MB supports it - it'll work.

Why you don't want to use both if you can help it is this: Your kingston RAM is slower and all RAM will run at the slowest speed.

So in-fact you may even lose some performance (but for heaven's sake, and I hate whoever fucking told you this would help because its misleading, RAM doesn't help performance outside of benchmarks and specialized work-loads. 8 Gigs, at above a Ghz, is fine and will be fine for a long time)

If you want more performance, go grab an Intel i5 or i7. I can help you with a computer build if you need it. A GPU can help but usually that's not the issue considering the GPU is an add-on more-so than a requirement.

Shit, I've gone off into my bantering. I hope this helps!

Reactions: List

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
Yeah fuck that, just use the 16 GB of Corsair. Its faster and you don't need more than 16GB. If for some reason you do, and trust me you'd know, you can put in the rest and assuming your MB supports it - it'll work.

Why you don't want to use both if you can help it is this: Your kingston RAM is slower and all RAM will run at the slowest speed.

So in-fact you may even lose some performance (but for heaven's sake, and I hate whoever fucking told you this would help because its misleading, RAM doesn't help performance outside of benchmarks and specialized work-loads. 8 Gigs, at above a Ghz, is fine and will be fine for a long time)

If you want more performance, go grab an Intel i5 or i7. I can help you with a computer build if you need it. A GPU can help but usually that's not the issue considering the GPU is an add-on more-so than a requirement.

Shit, I've gone off into my bantering. I hope this helps!
Thank you for the info! I'll try it out though, because if I do purchase 16 GB of ram, I still get a better performance!

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
Thank you for the info! I'll try it out though, because if I do purchase 16 GB of ram, I still get a better performance!

Oh, I already thought you had the RAM. Yeah sure knock yourself out, if you run into any memory issues you know where it lies.

But to answer your initial question since I've gotten us off track, as long as the you match the RAM together you'll be fine.

Nebulae
To be extremely clear and quick.

As long as your sticks are both DDR3 sticks, they'll be fine. I currently running 24 gb of DDR3 1600 (2x4 Corsair vengeance and 2x8 Samsung OEM Value sticks)

Overall, make sure they same sticks are in the same color-coordinated slots.

Above all it doesn't really matter what they are. If your motherboard supports DDR3 which it most likely does then it should translate each stick to the highest compatible and supported profiles for them all.

They should be all the same CAS Latency and frequency to ensure compatibility. But, if they're different they'll just all sync up at lower speeds for both the Latency and frequencies.

Worse case scenario, you'll have to go into bios and manually change the timings, CAS Latency, and frequency if your mobo allows you to. But, speaking as a user of 24gb of DDR3 1600 speed RAM. Performance doesn't appear to change much more than 1-2 fps, even in RAM critical games like BF1. If they both don't work out, just use 16gb.

TL;DR - Buy the 16 kit if you haven't already, and try to put both in. 8 to 16 is a good increase. And if 24 doesn't work, oh well. It doesn't really increase much after 16 because most games can't utilize that. Just push them in and see what happens it shouldn't harm anything.

Reactions: List