(ACCEPTED) Dear diary,

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Isuckatgaming, Jan 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isuckatgaming

Isuckatgaming Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:

---

Dear diary,

I caught the old man looking at something today. He called it a photograph, and that it was of his family. He said that before the war, almost anyone had a device that could make these things. He called them cameras and told me there are still many in the big cities controlled by the Combine.

I asked him about the big cities, how life was like there, if it was anything like the camps. He told me the cities were huge. Buildings stretching to the horizon, and giant buildings that are easily hundreds of feet tall, where millions of people live. I told him that’s impossible. He insisted it was true. I still don’t believe him. We kept talking about the cities until I asked if his family lived in one, and if they did, why he wasn’t there. He didn’t want to talk anymore and told me to go to sleep.

-

Dear diary,

Today me and the old man visited a small town. He said that people used to live here before the war, but don’t anymore. I asked him why. He told me that the Combine took everyone into the big cities after the war was over, and that’s why everyone lived there now. We snuck through town and took things we needed, such as pills and food and bullets. We even found a small knife, and I begged with him to let me keep it. He promised me after I learned to swing it, I could have it. I agreed.

Later, we found a Vorteagont. We traded some things and the old man talked with it for a long time. I didn’t listen because I was too busy looking at the alien. I had only seen one a few times in my life. It was really scary, but in a way, it made me feel safe. I remember the Vorteagont offering me and the old man shelter, but he said no. I would have liked to talk to it too though! Life is not fair.

-

Dear diary,

The old man told me more about life before the war. I kinda don’t believe him. He told me about all the countries. I had to ask first, because I wasn’t sure what it meant, but he told me that the world before the Combine had many countries, with different languages and people and other things, such as food. He said that the one we’re traveling in right now is called America. I asked him if he used to live in a country before the war. He said he used to live in America.

He also told me about something called the Ocean. It’s a massive lake that covers most of the world, and it’s filled with salt. I told him that there’s no way that’s real. He said he had seen it with his own two eyes. I told him he was lying. He told me I’d see it one day too.

-

Dear diary,

Today I killed my first thing with my knife. A headcrab, caught in one of our cage traps. I remember a lot of blood coming out when I stabbed it. When I took it back to camp, the old man was very proud of me. I cut it up and made us stew. It tasted delicious. He asked me if I would like to learn to shoot next.

-

Dear diary,

I haven’t written to you in a while. Me and the old man have been working overtime recently to secure food. I asked him why we’re getting so much, and he told me it’s for my 18th birthday. I asked him what a birthday is. He told me that every year, on the day that you were born, you would hold a big party and get a lot of gifts. The 18th one was especially important.

I told him that I didn’t know what day I was born, and he told me not to worry about it. we’ll just say it’s your birthday. I told him that it seems silly. I asked him what his birthday is. He told me June 5th. I asked him when that was. He said that he could only guess, but that it’s a few months from now.

-

Dear diary,

The old man’s cooking is really good. Birthdays are awesome.

-

Dear diary,

It has been a while since I’ve been able to write! I’m glad the old man got me this as a birthday present. I don’t know how long it has been, but I’ve seen snow at more than once since then. The old man told me to throw the old you away, but I wanna keep it! I look back at the many pages I’ve written over these many years when I’m bored.

Speaking of the old man, he told me we’re gonna start heading south for winter soon, and that we’ve stayed in this area for too long. Said he heard some things out in the woods, seeing things in the hills. I haven’t seen or heard anything so I don’t know where that’s coming from, but whatever. He’s probably just up on his typical old man shenanigans.

-

Dear diary,

We’ve been meeting a few more travelers on the roads these days. Some of them are dressed like soldiers. There’s a lot of rumors going around, but the old man says to ignore them. Ain’t worth it, he says. But I’ve still been listening. Uprising, they say. Resistance.

I’m unsure what these words mean, but I don’t wanna bring it up with the old man. He’ll just yell at me again, like he used to do back when I was younger. However, we seem to be going to where the travelers are coming from. I asked him why. He told me that less people were safer. Makes a bit of sense, but what if they’re running away from something? Then shouldn’t we too?

-

Dear diary,

We haven’t seen people for a few weeks at this point. I’m starting to get worried, since it used to be a near constant stream of people. A small group every few days. Now it’s nothing. I asked the old man what he thought. He said the fewer people the better.

We’re also starting to walk slower. I haven’t changed pace, but the old man needs a break or two sometimes. I’ve also started taking longer watches when we’re sleeping. He’s also taking more medicine than he used to. He’s also reading much more from his book, and sometimes I read for him. It’s starting to get annoying.

-

There were four of them. All of them armed. I was quicker than them though.

I don’t know how many shots I fired. I don’t know how many they fired. All I know is that I shot the first two in the chest, the third one in the head, and the last one in the back. The old man was lying on the ground with them. I carried him to a small hut in a clearing nearby. I told him it was dangerous on the road. I told him.

I did like he taught me when you’re dealing with wounds. He didn’t object to me helping him. I hope I did good.

-

Dear diary,

We’ve been staying at the hut while the old man is recovering. I’ve done all the hunting and fishing and scavenging and caring.

I read for the old man at night. He likes it. I try to barricade us in well and stay up all night to keep watch. Sometimes I manage to do it. Sometimes I don't.

When I sleep I dream of the attack. It’s unpleasant. I hug the old man when it happens and I cry. A lot. However, the hugs are comforting.

Haven’t been able to find food these past few days. Might go back to the site of the attack.

I hope I don’t get sick.

-

Dear diary,

The old man didn’t want any. He hasn’t eaten anything for almost a week now. It’s weird, but I guess being injured steals your appetite.

I think I can ration this out.

-

Dear diary,

I didn’t know which part of his book to read from in cases like this, so I just picked a random spot. I buried him with it after I was done reading from it.

Wish I didn’t have to dig this hole for him, but I wouldn’t want him to stink up my hut.

-

Dear diary,

It’s been 26 days since the old man died. I still haven’t gotten over it. Sometimes, I swear I can hear his voice. I turn around expecting him to be there, only to be greeted by a gust of wind rattling a small tree.

I try to avoid sleeping, because when I do I only dream of the same thing. That day. It all plays out in my head, all over again. The same faces. The same movements. The blood is in the same places. Make it stop

-

Dear diary,

It has been 186 days.

I met some people on the road. Friendly. The only reason I showed myself was because of the Vorteagont. He said I could always trust them aliens.

I gave them two jars of headcrab & misc. stew and my spare flashlight.

They gave me three bottles of water.

They asked me why I’m headed west. I didn’t tell them, but that’s the way me and the old man were going. And the old man is always right.

-

Dear diary,

It has been 235 days. Found a body on the road. Didn’t have much on him. I needed a change of boots and gloves anyway. Had to whack him once to keep him still.

-

Dear diary,

Day 378

No news. I wonder how far I am from the Ocean. Maybe I’ll see it if I follow the road.

Bullet count is three lower than it was yesterday. Strange.

Food stock is up.

-

Dear diary,

Day 426

Saw a bandit while traveling on the road. I told him to hand over his weapon and to stop hurting people. He lied and said he didn’t have a weapon. I shot him. I took all the food and water he was carrying. Probably stole it from somebody, bastard. I waited at his corpse for his bandit buddies, but none shoved up. I’ll get rid of it in the morning.

-

Day 497

so I don’t forget

HEADCRAB STEW RECIPE:

INGREDIENTS:

About a headcrab’s worth of cubed headcrab meat
    Enough water to fill a pot
    A handful of nettles
    (Optional) Whatever veggies you can scavenge
    (Optional) Headcrab claw stock
    (Optional) Other misc. meats in case of headcrab deficiency

METHOD:

First, sear headcrab meat in bottom of pot-

-

Dear diary,

There’s a town a good ways south. I haven’t eaten in a few days, so I might need to stop by.

I probably won’t stay long though.

-

Dear diary,

I hate it here. Everyone here sucks. Ricky is nice though.

-

Dear diary,

Caught a rat scuttling around earlier. Saved half of it in case Ricky comes by.

Only woke up once last night. First time in a while.

One of the boards on the window fell off. Need to get it replaced.

Hey I'm back, do you remember where I put the keys to the front door? Can't seem to find them.

---

[​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 11
  2. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:

[​IMG]

Dear diary,

Today I bought some new stuff from a trader. A frying pan. Some cooking oil. Gourmet shit.

801(2?)

Accepted

Perk:

PRINCESS
    You're quiet. You're a good cook. You look real good.

Lives in the Nice House
    [​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 14
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice