Suggestion Add the starter kit from WW3RP (with some nerfs)

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
What are you suggesting?
WW3RP had this system that upon spawning, a civilian character was granted a little package. It included some food, a small chance of a firearm and a slightly higher chance of a melee weapon. Aside from this, some medical items and crafting resources were included. I want this added, and for good reason. I will explain now.

Why are you suggesting this?
During this iteration of HL2RP, I thought we all came to the conclusion that gear shouldn't matter as much as previously. More crafting recipes available for people, less items needed. If people want something, let them get it without too much grinding.

I heard that bluesuits haven't been able to get the things they need to survive out there. No weapons to fight back antlions, or to stand a fighting chance against an overwhelming force that actively seeks to kill them. A massive alien that roams the plains and apathetic rebels, although granted not all of them.

A character shouldn't have their worth defined by the items they hold, but at the end of the day, this is still a game, and every newly spawned character is at a huge disadvantage both combat and roleplay-wise.

So I say add this suggestion and tweak it a bit. A guaranteed piece of clothing maybe (barring armor). Let them get ammo from this mystery box, or a weapon at least. A crafting tool to get started, or something to aid them with roleplay. A hammer for the would-be carpenter, a pair of scissors for the would-be barber.

A gun for the person that wants to fight the good fight. A club of some sorts as a last line of defence. We are not in the depot anymore and every citizen is considered a non-citizen, so let them start off with things that a non-citizen would have.

If the player doesn't want this small hand-out at the start, then don't fret. They can always just punch the box out of existence, or get rid of the stuff they don't need from the box.

Now you might be saying to yourself: "This is gonna be horrible for the economy!"
There is no economy, at least there shouldn't be one. Tokens are practically non-existent and we don't have a powerful black market trading faction, or a crafter group that controls the prices. If every citizen would spawn with a gun, then it would be a 1 to 1 ratio. What's the problem with having everyone armed, or at least have something of worth on their person?

That's all. Discuss down below, but keep an open mind while you do so.

Necessary content:
Some code from the previous WW3RP iteration. Could be done from scratch, too.

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
what if someone just spam creates a new character until they get the exact shit they want? variety can still be limited like this

Reactions: List

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
what if someone just spam creates a new character until they get the exact shit they want? variety can still be limited like this
then that's their prerogative, isn't it? if they want to spend 30 minutes creating new characters just to get a certain script then why can't they? it's their own time they are wasting.

i get the concern, but sometimes you have to take a gamble, especially if the odds aren't that bad. variety shouldn't be that great of an issue. people will one day realize that nearly every gun (depending on the class of gun) performs the same (with some tiny exceptions)

the suggestion wasn't about variety, but i get what you're saying. i don't think it should matter too much.

besides all of that, i didn't see this happen all too much on ww3rp. civs could just buy the guns they really wanted, or craft them (usually scrap guns)

there will be players that try to min-max their character (waste of time, they don't know yet) but there are overwhelmingly more players that value the roleplay over their character's stats and items.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Ordinarily I'd disagree but I think with the way the server is set up it would actually be a boon to have something like this, if only because if people know they're guaranteed to get a basic 'toolkit' to help them get to the RP and settle in (or pop off a few shots) they're more likely to stay.

I understand there's a concern around balancing S2K with passive to ensure things keep going but I don't think a civ with a basic pistol or pipe gun is gonna do a great deal with what limited ammo they spawn with.

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Ordinarily I'd disagree but I think with the way the server is set up it would actually be a boon to have something like this, if only because if people know they're guaranteed to get a basic 'toolkit' to help them get to the RP and settle in (or pop off a few shots) they're more likely to stay.

I understand there's a concern around balancing S2K with passive to ensure things keep going but I don't think a civ with a basic pistol or pipe gun is gonna do a great deal with what limited ammo they spawn with.
exactly my train of thought. the playing ground already has hard hitting guns in circulation, more than we ever have had. cops needn't worry about a civ with a glock. rebels don't need to worry about a cop with a pistol etc

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
no firearms beyond pure trash like pipe pistols/single shot shit

even if they start out with one unless they use it creatively they won't get far