Serious ask lore questions here

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by captain hoovie, Nov 7, 2018.

1. captain hoovie

captain hoovie Narrative/Lore Manager

Nebulae:
    yeah. hi. gonna try to get back into the swing of things.
    it's too early to post most docs yet but i see a lot of people posting threads and making convos asking lore questions so i thought it'd be good to make some use of myself and provide people with clear answers.

important note:
    questions and answers will be archived in the op for accessibility.

QUESTION ARCHIVE:

absolutely.

its vhs copies are now being used as training tapes for child soldiers in what remains of the sub-african resistance.

kind of a wonky topic. if you're asking for the criteria - yeah. still largely the same (save for old people. the combine didn't care). if you're wondering what qualifies as amp-worthy - that's where things are a bit muddled.

purpose / goals wise, the union in this timeline is more academic rather than economic (if that makes sense). they don't see the planet's resources as that massive of a priority so each individual citizen's working ability is generally less important to them. noone was executed after the war, but it's likely that a good chunk of disabled people died in early occupation simply because there weren't any means for them to survive in the early stages. nowadays the union just doesn't really care as long as you're not a cause for problems.

you can be old, blind, leg-less, fat, tall or w/e as long as you can contribute to society in SOME form. same goes for mild mental issues like anxiety etc. only those posing problems (fully insane people, aka mentally unfit lads) are disposed of. the rest? eh. do what you want.

seniors were taken into the workforce just like everyone else. it was up for them to survive. some were / are still taken to shoddy "care" centers if they have relatives who contribute(d) a lot. i can imagine some of them are occasionally used to keep said collaborators in check, like the families with cp/s.
    as for old people in the cities - it's up for them to survive. noone's gonna hunt them down but it's obviously gonna be tough living in an uncaring police state at the age of 80.

yeah but they're less "auschwitz death camps" and more "cities with kids". they're staffed by conscripts on permanent residence and provide kids with very basic education and indoctrination to prepare them for citizenship. but obviously they're so massive it's hard to keep all kids in check so large sections of said camps are often chaotic favelas where kids engage in lord of the flies rp.

yeah nah nah mate. i can imagine they're used in places like brazil where cleaning the streets from infected corpses is a big necessity, but they're really rare otherwise. in this timeline they're just lightly lobotomized vorts with big dummy computers taking control of them.

pretty much all of them in some shape or form, even if they're not actively used in the military. loads of research going on. but for the most part the more advanced ones are kept around protected installations or in better sectors (nihon, america, etc.)

can't tell you yet. it's a big secret.

aperture science's shower curtains, sure. their actual military-grade portal experiments n shit? no, certainly no. black mesa? i'd say people would know the basic concept of it, like we (in our timeline) know what Los Alamos is.
    people would also have a vague understanding of black mesa being the catalyst / source of the portal storms etc, with breen being trailed publically etc. but noone would know the details.

chinese are by-the-book lads. the chinese were far less blunt than russians and decided to submit in hopes of gaining benefits, and things went in their favor. the absolute majority of chinese military willingly underwent transhumanization.

if by "militias" you mean anti-union movements - yeah. nepal has some of the most developed non-union states in the world, but that's mostly because the rebel leaders have made a deal with the corrupt administration of the sector. a deal that keeps both sides satisfied at the price which i will not name for now. it's kind of a twist.

the sector's administration uses nepal's silk-road-like status among the continent's resistance to its advantage since it helps weaken neighboring sectors.

there are probably some small radicalized pockets here and there, but the majority of remaining active buddhists were mostly rendered passive thanks to the deal i mentioned in the previous answer. then again, there's no big institution surrounding the religion outside of the himalayas so, y'know, anything goes.

i've been away for the past few weeks, so, unfortunately i have no idea what mojave even IS. sorry.

things in the world aren't grim enough for cannibalism to become outright fluent in places other than what remains of the african deserts.

HOWEVER, the arctic sector has surrounded itself with a line of weather control stations across the entire northern hemisphere so a lot of northern russia, europe and canada would end up in some really fucky permafrost, leaving only the toughest arctic animals (bears, seals etc.) alive, so i can imagine SOME isolated communes that didn't have the brains / endurance to migrate to the south practice some form of cannibalism, but, again - it's not really a big trend.

outside of africa, anyway.

bq really doesn't want me to touch breen's health or w/e, so here he's just a distant old man who led himself into a dead end where he's neither respected nor in touch with the sector administrators. he's still the figurehead, sure, but he mostly spends time doing his old man things rather than actually governing stuff.

good thing you asked this. in the new lore, there are no more "industrial" or "residental" cities. urban centres are split into rings - the priority ring (which is the original city's territory with a bare minimum of modifications architecture-wise), then there's the urban ring - a literal forest of tall shoddy hastily-produced soviet-like housing complexes constructed to accomodate such a population - and then there's the outer, industrial ring, which is, for the most part, a bunch of factories meant to keep citizens busy. they don't really produce anything interesting - just the basic shit the city itself could use to sustain itself in case the non-urban automated combine factories fail.

if you struggle to imagine how it works think of it as the walls in attack of titan.

my idea was - the farther you go from the original / priority ring the shittier things go, and some governments probably acknowledge the fact and send troublemakers off to the edge of town.

so, while outright homelessness is really rare and only occurs in SUPER overcrowded cities (city 1 noo yohk ay), it's never used as a punishment. you just get sent to a much shittier district.

i still haven't finished the city list and we're trying to get it up to, like, 50 cities to make the average person-per-city count down to at least ~10 mil per city, + there are the non-urban communes and all the people that have been killed, blah-blah. it's wack.

nah, sorry. deathball's a meme straight outta 80s films. midnight yoga broadcasts though...

i mean, kinda? like, you can call senators and governments and food and what-not shit but don't expect cops to take it lightly when you say "le combeans and ceepees are cucks". you can shit talk all you want as long as you don't challenge / question the actual authority / combine as a whole. you can complain about their actions, but not the perpetrator. if that makes sense. it really depends from sector to sector. idk if that made any sense, sorry. i'm sleepy.

right after the war kids below 16 were the ones taken.
    you get out of the camp when you turn 18.

depends. most local administrations are so corrupt / selfish they don't really care about the greater purpose the union has for them so they say whatever. i doubt they endorse anything other than "new years" but they're also not dick / dumb enough to openly punish people for celebrating christmas and whatnot. just don't cause public distress / crowding and you're fine.

this is wonk swamp. still working on it.

lore wise it depends on sector i'd say, but for the most part loyalists are the same as citizens with more cool little things and slightly easier ways to earn better food. that's not even really a word IC anymore - they're just collaborators who get rewarded for contributing to civic society by means other than simply existing.

but, again - depends on the sector. in massive places like China top tier loyalists are probably living the life.

i'm all for it, but at this point there's so much shit i want to actually write down that people using headcanon has become this horrifying spook that doesn't let me sleep at night because i fear the memetic effects of headcannoning certain ideas and said ideas becoming more relevant than anything i will ever write

tldr: it's like my dad. i love it but i fear he'll beat me up some day

i
    t's the largest port in all of asia. serves as a big diplomatic and economic hub for all of asian sectors.
    hong kong island - a bit overcrowded and dirty but generally pretty damn good. deus ex 1 epic style.

kowloon - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
    imagine if the old kowloon slums came back to life but became 10 times larger.
    yeah, that's what it is.

unironically a city

#1 captain hoovie, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • nebulous nebulous x 14
  2. Gaben

Gaben Went to greece a jew came as a homophobic racist

Nebulae:
    Did who killed captain alex came out on time?

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  3. Subeh

Subeh local car man
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    Someone asked the question earlier, I don't recall who but I'll forward it on their behalf;

The criteria for disabled citizens in the old lore, is that still in play?

4. captain hoovie

Nebulae:
    absolutely.

its vhs copies are now being used as training tapes for child soldiers in what remains of the sub-african resistance.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  5. Gaben

Nebulae:
    EVERYONE IN UGANDA KNOWS KONG FU

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  6. Mute

Mute Molecule

Nebulae:
    Are seniors killed or kept in care like before(if thats even true)?
    Are the child camps still a thing?
    Are cremators a thing?
    What synths exist currently?
    If Eli is dead what happened to Alyx?
    E:
    Is Aperture Science common knowledge and do people know about Black Mesa?

7. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    I can absolutely confirm this is fact.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  8. Gaben

Nebulae:
    He dead??

9. captain hoovie

Nebulae:
    kind of a wonky topic. if you're asking for the criteria - yeah. still largely the same (save for old people. the combine didn't care). if you're wondering what qualifies as amp-worthy - that's where things are a bit muddled.

purpose / goals wise, the union in this timeline is more academic rather than economic (if that makes sense). they don't see the planet's resources as that massive of a priority so each individual citizen's working ability is generally less important to them. noone was executed after the war, but it's likely that a good chunk of disabled people died in early occupation simply because there weren't any means for them to survive in the early stages. nowadays the union just doesn't really care as long as you're not a cause for problems.

you can be old, blind, leg-less, fat, tall or w/e as long as you can contribute to society in SOME form. same goes for mild mental issues like anxiety etc. only those posing problems (fully insane people, aka mentally unfit lads) are disposed of. the rest? eh. do what you want.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  10. Mute

Mute Molecule

Nebulae:
    Something wrong
    I hold my head
    Vance is gone
    A :heyzeus: dead

11. '77 East

'77 East `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    What happened to the PLAN - People's Liberation Army Navy. Did the command mostly preserve themselves and accept an induction into the transhumans/conscripts, or did they fragment and bitterly resist?

Are militias active in the South-Asia sectors?

Did Buddhism mostly become militant in the face of the Union and the simple fact that Priests who promoted the 'peaceful' ways either were executed by the militants/Union? Or was it something else?

Will the events of Mojave be written up and included in the lore?

How fluent is cannibalism in the remains of the northern American states?

Is Breen suffering from syphilis and constantly taking drugs just like Hitler did in his elder years?

12. Omni

Omni Atom
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    Does City 17, or any city within the Universal Union suffer from any percentage of homelessness?

A concept in the back of my mind that I always wanted to employ was the idea that one of the things that happens to citizens who step over the line but not far enough to get downright killed, is that they're just deprived of their residential block assignment, and put on the streets. They're still citizens, they're still required to show up to their assigned shifts, and everything else is still expected of them- they're just stuck with a cobblestone pillow.

Is there something equivalent to that in the lore, or are all citizens guaranteed housing per their status as a citizen?

13. '77 East

Nebulae:
    Oh, and just before I forget again - what's happened to Hong Kong?

14. captain hoovie

Nebulae:
    seniors were taken into the workforce just like everyone else. it was up for them to survive. some were / are still taken to shoddy "care" centers if they have relatives who contribute(d) a lot. i can imagine some of them are occasionally used to keep said collaborators in check, like the families with cp/s.
    as for old people in the cities - it's up for them to survive. noone's gonna hunt them down but it's obviously gonna be tough living in an uncaring police state at the age of 80.

yeah but they're less "auschwitz death camps" and more "cities with kids". they're staffed by conscripts on permanent residence and provide kids with very basic education and indoctrination to prepare them for citizenship. but obviously they're so massive it's hard to keep all kids in check so large sections of said camps are often chaotic favelas where kids engage in lord of the flies rp.

yeah nah nah mate. i can imagine they're used in places like brazil where cleaning the streets from infected corpses is a big necessity, but they're really rare otherwise. in this timeline they're just lightly lobotomized vorts with big dummy computers taking control of them.

pretty much all of them in some shape or form, even if they're not actively used in the military. loads of research going on. but for the most part the more advanced ones are kept around protected installations or in better sectors (nihon, america, etc.)

can't tell you yet. it's a big secret.

aperture science's shower curtains, sure. their actual military-grade portal experiments n shit? no, certainly no. black mesa? i'd say people would know the basic concept of it, like we (in our timeline) know what Los Alamos is.
    people would also have a vague understanding of black mesa being the catalyst / source of the portal storms etc, with breen being trailed publically etc. but noone would know the details.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  15. :heyzeus:

:heyzeus: Nucleus

Nebulae:
    Does half life happen because it comes out in 1999

16. Mute

Mute Molecule

Nebulae:
    -snip nvm-

17. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    Deathball?
    Nah but real shit I thought the direction the lore was heading in was that people could literally say or do whatever so long as it isn’t violent like I could pubically acknowledge that I think the Union is shit

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  18. '77 East

Nebulae:
    it's p much 1980's China when you think about it

make too much of an impact or violently resist, and you're getting killed

as for deathball I thought I saw some mention of combat sports on the lore thread earlier, might be mistaken.
    wouldn't surprise me if it did exist simply because of rampant corruption/easy profiteering off it.

19. Twar

Twar The truth is out there

Nebulae:
    At what age are children let out of their Lord of the Flies RP camps, is it still 21? Some people have said other things and I just wanna see it clarified

How strict is the Union on public holidays, are they turned into Union good-esque or are pre-celebratory ways of it being done still celebrated

How big is the difference between what high tier loyalists get and the standard working class. Do they receive absurd benefits for sucking ass or is it p much the same as it was on CW

20. captain hoovie

Nebulae:
    chinese are by-the-book lads. the chinese were far less blunt than russians and decided to submit in hopes of gaining benefits, and things went in their favor. the absolute majority of chinese military willingly underwent transhumanization.

if by "militias" you mean anti-union movements - yeah. nepal has some of the most developed non-union states in the world, but that's mostly because the rebel leaders have made a deal with the corrupt administration of the sector. a deal that keeps both sides satisfied at the price which i will not name for now. it's kind of a twist.

the sector's administration uses nepal's silk-road-like status among the continent's resistance to its advantage since it helps weaken neighboring sectors.

there are probably some small radicalized pockets here and there, but the majority of remaining active buddhists were mostly rendered passive thanks to the deal i mentioned in the previous answer. then again, there's no big institution surrounding the religion outside of the himalayas so, y'know, anything goes.

i've been away for the past few weeks, so, unfortunately i have no idea what mojave even IS. sorry.

things in the world aren't grim enough for cannibalism to become outright fluent in places other than what remains of the african deserts.

HOWEVER, the arctic sector has surrounded itself with a line of weather control stations across the entire northern hemisphere so a lot of northern russia, europe and canada would end up in some really fucky permafrost, leaving only the toughest arctic animals (bears, seals etc.) alive, so i can imagine SOME isolated communes that didn't have the brains / endurance to migrate to the south practice some form of cannibalism, but, again - it's not really a big trend.

outside of africa, anyway.

yes of course the CIA have also recently declassified files documenting dr Breen's deep descent into bi-sexuality as well as his heavy reliance on boyscout facilities.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice