Serious ask lore questions here

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by camping carl, Nov 7, 2018.

1. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    whats stopping people from giving fake names when they first got cids? i imagine the union at that point wouldnt give a shit and many people just took it as a way to start new

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  2. Kafe

Kafe *Raises sign*
    HL2 RP Operator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Potentially any old ID databases from pre-war governments and such, although I'd reckon some people would find a way to sneak a new identity in for survival purposes.

In the end though, camera only cares for your face and citizen status, names feel kinda secondary.

3. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    nah like what i mean is that, when the union finally took over and shit was done, it was basically like an end of a war and shit was bad so like if people didnt have id they prob wouldnt care

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  4. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Nothing stops this actually!

In fact I raised this point myself earlier in the thread; in a lot of places information - at first - was either missing, incomplete or intentionally sabotaged in the waning hours of the war/immediate aftermath by government officials or even private citizens, especially given the Union had to gather and input by hand (or from servers, etc). Absolutely nothing stopped people from trying to use a fake ID but you had to hope they didn't happen to have your records.

This was a key point for Howard, my BAF guy - his identity under the Union was faked (obviously didn't save him from being prosecuted under that name but it spared his family in the event shit went bad).

When Dispatch was hooked up though it became a lot harder, if not impossible, to bullshit yourself if the records were there. Still though there's still a big chunk of humanity who've never been processed due to hiding out in the wilds, etc.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  5. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    See I don't even mean fake IDs. I mean like the Union is a bouncer at a 21s club and your 18 with no ID. The union bouncer doesn't give a fuck enough to check you, you don't look too young/old and they want people in their cities working so like, you got fuck all to prove you are John Wayne? I don't care get the fuck in and start making stamped apples for me.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  6. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Yeah I doubt they'd give a shit.

The only reason identity is an issue is obviously regarding punishment and for simple record keeping. On a street level it isn't that big of a deal (outside of dealings with units) if you lie about your age or try and pass a fake name to get into a club.

Obviously you may raise a few eyebrows and turn a few heads depending on where in the District you are but at your average club or bar nobody will care.

7. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    I mostly meant at the start of the occupation

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton

Nebulae:
    I am sorry, Rabid, but you are incorrect. The Union conquered Earth in Seven Hours and have the information of every citizen on Earth. Their technology is so advanced that they can determine your name just by looking at your face. You cannot undermine or dodge the Union in any way. Hail the Union.

• nebulous nebulous x 7
  9. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Oh shit right.

They'd care in the sense that obviously having your records to hand means sussing out details about you is easier/better so If they have records that contradicted what you said, they'd probably not let that fly (you wouldn't be killed for it though).

The reality is that wasn't the case for everyone and it just wasn't possible for every processing camp to have the same level of access to what they needed - this goes double when you consider this data input was likely done by collaborators by hand/using what databases they had access to (police files, government records, etc).

Otherwise they'd have no choice but to take what you say at face value - the logistics of cataloguing humanity efficiently before Dispatch was produced was absolutely obscene which accounts for why there's so many holes.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  10. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    Also why the matching jumpsuits? Surely that's just a waste of materials

11. MaXenzie

MaXenzie Sexually attracted to robots
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    I completely ignore the clothes my model wears, I just describe the clothes I wear in my desc.

if that's against the rules, then fuck em

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  12. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    ok im gonna do this now thanks

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  13. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Its mostly just an oppression tool/for ease of production, but the truth is even Laidlaw has said its likely citizens have different clothes, they just need to be careful to not wear them around opportunistic cops who might take them for themselves.

In the context of our lore though I've always taken it that you just get given a jumpsuit as standard whenever you relocate (bearing in mind they're literally just a blue button shirt with a tag on it and some jeans, they probably wouldn't be 100% identical anyway) and they're the easiest to come by but most citizens have probably bought others or managed to keep some of their old stuff so not everyone is a clone.

Nobody really minds in that regard, so long as you aren't the dude rocking all modern fashion. Its assumed most citizens just wear the jumpsuits to save their good stuff.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  14. dee pixel

Nebulae:
    how do trauma sensors work exactly? i never understood the logic behind them. sure, they could monitor breaches in the suit, but how does that account for blunt force trauma? do they detect heart rate and extrapolate the user's physical state from that?

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  15. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    gonna rock my new YEEZYS to the workshift tomorrow

• nebulous nebulous x 7
  16. MaXenzie

Media Developer

Nebulae:
    true answer not an opinion cant argue
    they dont

trauma sensors aren't canon, they don't exist, they're not real

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  17. Erkor

Erkor Narrative/Lore Management
    HL2 RP Administrator Media Developer Premium Member

Nebulae:
    what are you doing in my thread

18. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Bullshitanium, to be blunt.

But if I had to give a lore explanation off the top of my head? Dispatch monitors unit location, vitals and frequency of impact/type (ie; if it breaches compared to not) when it comes to trauma sensors and extrapolates from there. What this basically adds up to is a basic 'grid' that lets Dispatch, without relying on emotion, understand the likelihood of a sensor trip needing a response.

One blunt impact in the Nexus with minor heart-rate increase? Camera can confirm no hostile activity and it is likely it was the units own action (such as tripping particularly hard).

Repeated blunt blows in a non-patrol region with extremely elevated vitals? Unit likely under some sort of attack. Attempt contact, if no contact then send reinforcements.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  19. dee pixel

Nebulae:
    i'll just go with that

seems to me a relic from a time when cop masks had cameras that recorded video and audio 24/7, know what i mean?

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  20. MaXenzie

Media Developer

Nebulae:
    thats fucking hilarious

ALERT ALERT CIVIL PROTECTION UNIT SUSTAINING INJURY
    10-20?
    NEXUS
    JUDGE 4 tripped on the fuckin stairs again
    JUDGE 4 YOU HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH 99 RECKLESS OPERATION

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice