Serious ask lore questions here

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by captain hoovie, Nov 7, 2018.

1. 420Alex

420Alex The OG
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Hey, I'm hunting around for a lore doc on APC's... not sure if I'm blind but I'll ask my questions here:

How much of an APC's insides are like modern day vehicles?
    To break the question up more specifically, I'm talking about:
    • Fluids, need for an oil change(?)
    • Do they follow any sort-of conventional design as far as engine/mechanics go?

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  2. vtipoman

vtipoman Proton

Nebulae:
    Thanks for the answer. :grinning:

Just out of curiosity, would any of their employees receive actual pay? Or just access to their rations + specific reward points? (I assume those are IC as well, but correct me if I'm wrong)

And are there private-owned businesses? Or at least ones that are founded based on individuals' ambitions/ideas? How much trust and power would they (be permitted to) have, compared to the CWU, for example?

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  3. ElectricTaco

ElectricTaco Nucleus

Nebulae:
    pretty sure they run on dark matter reactors or something of these sorts, just minimalised for use in a vehicle

4. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator Media Developer

Nebulae:
    yeah, they get paid. i suspect rations don’t actually contain money, they just do in game for the sake of balance. loyalist points probably don’t really exist in the lore as anything other than a gameplay necessity so i’m pretty sure regular employment just yields a paycheck.

and yes, there are businesses. i’d like to think they’re given contracting work by the CWU to handle maintenance and such for the state. as for trust, probably as much as they need to be given. construction contractors get access to tools, restaurants have cutlery and cookware, etc

i encourage you to not apply the server’s gameplay mechanics to the broader lore. things like laws and the loyalist system and the limited number of businesses and means of employment are manifestations of the server’s need to maintain balance in the MMOy video gameist sense of the word and only exist out of necessity.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  5. vtipoman

vtipoman Proton

Nebulae:
    Alright, thanks for the in-depth answer(s) :grinning:

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  6. vtipoman

vtipoman Proton

Nebulae:
    Okay, few last questions that came to mind and I'm done. Sorry about bothering you all with them.

How does housing work? Do you get assigned a place (with roommates?) and/or can you find one yourself? Do you pay for utilities and/or rent in either case? Is it possible to get to live with specific people? Do loyalists get better housing?

On the topic of loyalists, how would they work in-lore? Just more overall benefits based on how much you contribute and conform to society?

And finally, are there any recreation options for regular citizens/loyalists?

7. Appetite Ruining Kebab

Nebulae:
    ICly everyone gets provided housing by the state, so anyone living out in the streets is doing so by choice. Ingame mechanics don't reflect this but that's not a big deal - you can make the rest up as you go. E.g if you want to live with someone specific you can own the same apartment as them ingame and say you requested a transfer to their room.

No such thing as rent iirc.

Utilities are handled by CWU who occasionally drop by to fix major fuckups in apartments but you can roleplay them as being generally absent until there's a fire or something (which is how it generally is ingame)

yeahhh having good employment + sucking the Senate's dick to carry out favors for government officials and/or campaigning against anti citizens etc.

Benefits come in the form of good housing, good food, work pardon, marriage allowance, ability to communicate with family members sometimes etc., there's probably other stuff you can roleplay in this regard. You don't have to follow the ingame mechanics strictly by the book - you can make stuff up to your heart's content as long as you understand the base concept.

intranet cafes, arcades, possibly gyms, normal cafes/restaurants, clubs & raves etc.

its all there in the lore its just not always reflected ingame. some of this stuff might seem out of place but keep in mind the union monitor the shit out of everything anyway to make sure nobody goes too crazy especially in the case of intranet

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  8. vtipoman

vtipoman Proton

Nebulae:
    Thanks to you as well :grinning:

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  9. Lewis!

Lewis! Where is Jessica Hyde?
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Do CP radios icly pick up noise outside of the unit talking?

Like if they had their radio on during a gun battle would everyone else be hearing the shots?

10. Antloin

Antloin Molecule

Nebulae:
    I'd imagine that the microphone is inside the mask, if the noise is loud, the mic would pick it up.

11. Heck

Heck Nucleus

Nebulae:
    I don't even imagine that the microphone is on the mask, I keep thinking it's them shitty mics you see in plays and shit where it's stuck to the side of your face.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  12. rams

rams `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    i think on this server everyone just talks over the same frequency but ideally and with law enforcement in real life (not 100% how many agencies it extends to) when another unit is speaking on the same frequency (let’s say dispatch) your radio would play a busy tone. that busy tone plays when another unit is speaking to dispatch- so on the norm you’d only hear dispatch on that frequency unless you’re patched through to other units in case a situation arises and needs to be coordinated

tldr
    in the day to day operations, all you’d hear is dispatch, other units talking on your freq plays a busy tone and you can’t hear their transmission. when a situation arises you’re patched through on a different frequency to coordinate said situation and you can all hear one another

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  13. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    I'm just imagining multiple units trying to scream on the radio in a firefight and the fucking jingle kicks in

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  14. dvn

dvn Nucleus

Nebulae:
    red panic button on the radio

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  15. rams

rams `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    nah nah in real life units would go ‘xyz situation patch me through/give me the patch’ and then dispatch would put all responding units through to another frequency and go ‘unit MOOSCLES-4 you have the patch, go for’

that’s a simplified way of how it works

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  16. Simman102

Simman102 Mark 15:39

Nebulae:
    So pretty much
    ?

17. rams

rams `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    exactly. TAC 3 and TAC 5 in that sense would be the local TACs used to co-ordinate that situation (there can always be more than one local TAC to prevent overflow if there's more than one situation going on).

the radios could operate on a system of simplex and duplex (and that would make the most sense because i can't see 30 cops all talking at one time over one frequency). simplex is you and dispatch, duplex is when the units are patched together on the same frequency.

let's say for example you get a foot pursuit. in layman's you'd say something like 'footpursuit in x location requesting TAC 3!' and dispatch would patch responding units through on the same frequency and go 'y unit, you have TAC, go for' and you place updates.

how this would work in practicality i don't fully know because there's a difference between being able tp rp updates on the radio and having to hold shift to try and catch up with the guy. that said, the idea of TACs is cool and would make a whole lot of sense (if not used already— if they are, maybe some clarity surrounding this idea?).

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  18. Neo Komchan

Neo Komchan Electron
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Does the Chaebol have a nuclear warhead hidden inside their base?

19. '77 East

'77 East Rictal-Approved
    WW3 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    probably sarin

if you go in you become another victim of aum shinrikyo

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  20. Macho

Macho Atom

Nebulae:

Not really sure if anyone has ever thought about this but I imagine it being possible within the lore.

How would secret societies exist under combine occupation, would they still pull the strings of the politicians within the diffirent sectors and the council? Would they even be able to exist? I'd be grateful if I had this answered.

Mostly thinking about the Illuminati if someone is wondering.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice