Serious Ask Lore Questions Here

Discussion in 'WW3RP: Stasiland' started by Rogue Synapse, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Prophet of Difference
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

(See Title)
    Merged:
    One that I have pertains to the presence of Mikhail Gorbachev.

It has been stated that he was pushed aside due to his ideas of 'Glasnost' and 'Perestroika'. Do you figure that in the server cannon he is someone that the public would know well enough to talk about him? Or would he be one of the more obscure figures that not many people would know of?

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  2. char

char The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Chardust
    WW3 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    One of the big things I have been pushing for with lore is keeping it simple. To do that I have intended to keep it close to our own history.

A big pusher for Perestroika and Glasnost in our lore was Yeltsin, who was pushed aside by Soviet hardliners dedicated to the war.

Gorbachev is the Chairman of the USSR and a reveared leader. But he is essentially under the thumb of the KGB Chairman (a young Vladimir Putin), and the generals of the army who insist on pursuing a war til its conclusion.

Gorbachev, much like irl, is a good man in a tricky position. He could clamp down and demand peace at any moment - but fears the repercussions it would have on his nation - and the inevitable resistance from the Soviet fanatics.

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  3. Gabe

Gabe Went to greece a jew came as a homophobic racist

Nebulae:
    What would happen to Yugoslavia following Tito's death in 1980, including the fact it was receiving aid from both east and west at the time(1980) and then the 1983 war followed by Europe being taken by the soviets in 1990-1992

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  4. Leather Clad Lad

Leather Clad Lad `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    Did the Chernobyl disaster happen? It happened around 1986 or are we in 1983. Kinda out of the loop here

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  5. Tinbe

Tinbe Current real-life year + 7 = Current HL2RP IC year
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    What's the current standing of the United Arab Emirates? AFAIK they were a minor power during the WW3RP in their own region, separate from the Soviet-NATO clash.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  6. Rarmir

Rarmir domestic abuse offender

Nebulae:
    How do the deserters/remaining forces of NATO (not NJSOC - although those can be included in the answer) - manage to fit into the populace if they weren't originally German, in terms of culture, language, accents, background - etc, broadly speaking.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  7. '77 East

'77 East `impulse-approved
    WW3 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    We're in 1992 and it indeed happened.
    Merged:

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. char

Nebulae:
    Chernobyl happened, as did the cleanup. But the reality of what caused it and the extent of the damage is still a mystery as the exclusion zone around Pripyat is heavily protected. Rumours of the reality of the disaster range from nuclear accident to weapons testing to even American sabotage of Soviet Industry during the Inter-War years (1983-1990)

That's down to the RPers themselves who get those chars go about it. Soldiers who fought for NATO previously (In the 1983 conflict or prior) but found their country conquered when not in active service would be treated like any other citizen - although under extra Stasi scrutiny.

If you were a NATO soldier who deserted or were cut off and remained behind, you would be treated as an enemy of the state. Those not in uniform or with any documentation to show they are an active soldier would probably be treated as a spy and executed. But NATO stay behinds shouldn't depend on their dogtags to save them from a firing squad if caught.
    Merged:
    It's still neutral. I imagine Yugoslavia could be growing closer and closer to civil war, but without NATO assistance it could see a Serbian victory and retention of the Yugoslavian state. I haven't thought much about it because tbh it is not incredible relevant to our setting, and is a rabbit hole I don't believe worthy of exploration at the moment.

Keep the questions coming, this is a far better way of laying out lore than a big block of text. And allows me to focus on what needs to be discussed in upcoming lore / setting guides.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  9. Rarmir

Nebulae:
    So within the general populace, most foreigners would be treated with distrust if not lead?
    I'm not sure what impact would the different state of affairs as to actual 1983 IRL have on the demographics of different nationalities have in Berlin or Germany as a whole; particularly as movement of people was very difficult in USSR unless the USSR wanted you to move, not the other way around, iirc.

10. char

Nebulae:
    This lore takes place in a fictitious 1992. I am aware that moving between countries in the Eastern Bloc was difficult, but again I would rather that be wavered to some extent and explained through "people are moved around to meet manpower demands" than force everyone to play a German char.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  11. Rarmir

Nebulae:
    my bad man, forgot after the great ditching

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  12. '77 East

WW3 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    How is the Soviet Union propping up itself economically?

The Brezhnev era had laid a lot of problems and I imagine even with two global wars (1983 + 1992 onwards) there's going to be a lot of chaos in the future on that end, especially as it likely had it's foreign slush funds wiped out. Future events may as well likely delve into this.

------------------------

Is the WW3RP ending event (the chinese submarine one) considered canon?

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  13. char

Nebulae:
    Dunno, never thought about it. Going on at lengths about the fictitious economy of the Soviet Union for the sake of RP lore set in Germany is a bit of a waste of time. But maybe the economic hardships could be explored somewhere along the line. Sure.

Dunno what this event was so no.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  14. Leather Clad Lad

Leather Clad Lad `impulse-approved

Nebulae:

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  15. Mesa

Mesa Atom

Nebulae:
    think it was along the lines of rogue NJSOC launching missiles at china to expand the war but my recollection of it is misty

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  16. Roosebud

Roosebud Administrator
    Head Staff WW3 RP Server Director

Nebulae:
    It wasn’t that, but I’d still rather void it since a lot of people fucked around and intentionally screwed the outcome

• Agree Agree x 4
    • nebulous nebulous x 1
  17. '77 East

WW3 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    could easily say the sub went down with all hands and it's their version of the USS Scorpion mystery.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  18. Holymilk

Holymilk Proton

Nebulae:
    After the war I’d imagine the soviets would have a lot of NATO POWs (and I’m saying outside of the regular server). What would become of their fate? Will they eventually be assimilated?

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  19. Rarmir

Nebulae:
    would be fun to have a mini-event for soviets to defend a POW transport/camp that could be attacked by appropriate forces.
    maybe even let some players play the POWs if they survive and apply to keep them after.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  20. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Prophet of Difference
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    That sounds like a great idea. I'm sure it will happen eventually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice