BETWEEN WORLDS PART 3 - omni

Discussion in 'Feedback Section' started by MaelRadecs, Sep 5, 2020.

1. MaelRadecs

MaelRadecs Best Damn ODST

Nebulae:
    Was considerably rough in the later half. We lost a bit of direction initially when certain actors who originally planned to attend couldn't show and of course, the server's map change feature not working for a little while. I think things got a little better towards the ending, I'm hoping in the finale we can adjust and offer more passive scenes to explain things better.

As always, I'd like to thank all of the attendees and event helpers. There's a lot of you so I won't bother tagging you, but thanks again for making this possible.

Post your feedback below.

• nebulous nebulous x 8
  2. Nov

Nov Molecule
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:

technical issues be like:

Aside from that, the setup was stellar and I liked helping in it, both as staff and actor.
    I am very sorry for you that the map change didn't work properly

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  3. Yurrie

Yurrie Molecule
    HL2 RP Administrator Media Developer

Nebulae:
    i am so so incredibly sorry i couldn't attend
    lately i've been i guess overworking myself to the point of staying up late in the night to do shit, and i didn't expect to sleep until 6 pm. hope it was enjoyable for everyone who could make it!

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  4. afric

afric Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    NO

THE GOOD

Combat was good in the only encounter it did happen. Darkness helped a pretty good stealth engagement
    Tension with the Alien Grunt was v. good so was tunnel ambience
    Fight on the surface was very good also

THE BAD

LESS EXPOSITION PLEASE!!!! PLEASE!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The plot of the event, to me was uninteresting because you attempted to explain every facet of the 'Omni' and whatever was going on. I enjoy roleplaying, not reading exposition, especially when it makes no sense to occur (i.e after we just murdered three guys and are on our way into a warzone)
    Show, don't tell. The more you tell us the less interesting it is. My mind can't wander anywhere because we sat at the end of the event talking to the shiny light in the box for about 20 minutes. I wanted to leave and was tabbed out because while the plot is of interest to me, the ins and outs of it doesn't need to be thrown at me at 100 mph. It would have been far more interesting to build up the singularity through our own discovery rather than just following a quest giver through city8
    more conflict and player action. the finale was litterally your event character attacking the other event character. it was boring.

THE UGLY

Ni-Oha'lalli yells "Fly you fools."

why?

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  5. MaelRadecs

Nebulae:
    Yeah, definitely some mistakes I made with this one in comparison with the first part involving cops. Should have taken more of what I'd learned from there and offered less exposition, but I suppose I was having trouble pacing and wanted to fit things together but yeah, it ended up feeling forced and outright bland and I apologize for that.

Thanks for the constructive criticism and attending, I'm glad some parts were to your liking and I'm definitely going to be working on improving things to give you all a good finale.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  6. Jackround12353

Jackround12353 gaming...
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

can't believe i missed two parts of this gem

video will be out within a few days because its scuffed af and i need to edit it​

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  7. afric

afric Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Not sure what the other guys are there for but I roleplay for the action, the drama and all that shit. There was drama in that event but it just wasnt the focus, 45% of the event was following a quest giver and the combat only included three characters

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. Deathwolf

Deathwolf Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    First half was basically perfect, in my opinion, travelling through the abandoned district, dodging past mortar strikes, and moving into the pitch black tunnels was great

When in the tunnels, tensions rose when we saw an alien grunt ravaging a man, and we had to sneak along with it undetected, very Keenough.

the combat was Bas-eed, didn't feel like either side was overpowered, with the fight not taking too long either

Sneaking past the conflict between the cultists and cops was very fun, yes yes yes.

Fly you fools can go fuck itself fuck u Maine motherfucker LOTR headass.

Exposistion felt forced, like I had no time to react to the fact I just took a life. wish it came in more naturally.
    Ending was fun, but I wish that us characters actually had a chance to do something, me and @Romeo attempted to fight back but it was impossible.

Overall I still enjoyed it, and I'm excited for part 3

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  9. MaelRadecs

Nebulae:
    Yeah that's fair, I'm considerably new to conducting events and with everything to take into account this has been a real challenge but a learning experience all the same. I'm tackling a lot of the plot here alone and I've overstepped quite a bit with overcomplicating things and I apologize for that.

Again, appreciate the feedback, it's always welcome and I hope I can improve a lot of things for the finale.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  10. afric

afric Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    yea im not trying to be aggy about it just pointers

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  11. Deathwolf

Deathwolf Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
  12. Chris

Chris Electron
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Don't know what everyone else is talking about when it came to exposition. I actually wanted more answers out of the Omni since I was expecting something shady to go down due to how Ni-Oha'lalli was being somewhat evasive with my questioning. The aspect of the lore that there was a Vortigaunt that saw all the downfalls coming and that there was a second group that wanted to avoid that fate that created the essence-thieves was exactly the justification I was looking for to demonstrate why they are not all inherently evil.

I mean I stayed out of combat as much as I could since it's not really my thing. Nor am I much good in a fight IC anyway. Overall I enjoyed it but I feel as though what others are saying about following the quest giver around was kind of true and I did try and coax some lore out of you to get more insight to the situation. if it were up to me I'd talk for ages about various questions and aspects but a lot of people just don't have time for it.

Overall it's good. I didn't get PK'd.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  13. afric

afric Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    you kept asking questions upon questions and brought the exposition dumps on the rest of us it was really bad

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  14. Appetite Ruining Kebab

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    seems to be a running theme that people either love your exposition or hate it. we had basically the same situation in part 1 where half the units were asking the big questions and being all curious about the plot and shit while the other half sat back and alt tabbed

what it seems to come down to is that you need to give the people who ARENT interested in that sort of stuff a way to keep themselves occupied

and also have multiple characters giving the exposition - i remember in the CP part we actually had way too many cops asking questions at a time and you couldnt keep us all happy at once

#14 Appetite Ruining Kebab, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • nebulous nebulous x 4
  15. MaelRadecs

Nebulae:
    Yeah, there was something of a similar divide in taste for the first part.

Some people wanted to know everything and ask questions and I understand why, there's a lot at stake and a lot of mystery to what's happening in the event.

Rest assured, I know where I can improve and I intend on having less exposition in favor of allowing the answers to these questions come naturally, whether it be through character implication or being directly informed, though not overbearingly so.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  16. Romeo

Romeo Atom

Nebulae:
    for an event that is nearly entirely focused on vortigaunt lore, the vortigaunts who were participating as players felt surprisingly drawn back. i'm not trying to throw shade at anybody here, but it felt like the human guys were taking lead nine times out of ten even when the playing field was driven specifically towards vortigaunts and vortessence lore stuff. not to say they weren't there, but most of the dialogue either came from event characters or the three musketeers. not once did any of the vortigaunts help in any of the combat scenarios.

that really was my foremost complaint, i can understand why we were powerless towards the end so it didn't matter, the gandalf moment was pretty ehhhh but besides that, it was a great journey to be in. things like actors not showing up and technical issues are out of your control, i realize, so i don't really consider them when i'm judging events.

combat was cool, that scene outside of the UIL building was fucking dope, and the stealth bits were held up by great pieces of music to enhance the tension.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  17. shia

shia the freakster

Nebulae:
    yea that's my fault tbh

was somewhat occupied with internet messing up constantly and other irl things, when you guys took out the cultist types i tried to pull forward and notify your character that sandus char was gonna try and disarm them via telekinesis (after i made a plan) but by the time i maneuvered my way to the other side or the car after telling sandus char about the plan, you and stu killed em

aside from that i wanted to sortve snipe one of the cops but since my vort already has a card for the UIL building, i had to go open the doors, half dissapointed in myself for not really getting involved more, had alot of opportunities to help properly express what chelas about and their reactions, was hoping for that when i lead the group, did it with the intent of encountering vacub-came (that grunt) and either taking it down or fending it off and then getting help from the other vorts to give em somethin to do aswell

as for the event itself, im not too sure really, it felt like an event in the sense that a story and some action took place, sure, but not a whole lot more, although i really liked the ambience of the mini warzone alongside the tunnel bit

the exposition got abit tiring after awhile

also the fly you fools kinda made me laugh ngl, was horribly out of place and unexpected, atleast for me, especially because we immediately went into a more passive part where we talk to the futurama god

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  18. Dr. sandu

Dr. sandu Neutrino

Nebulae:
    Yeah i gotta apologize for staying in the backstage during most of the event but i also got the feeling that we speedran through it all relatively quickly to the point where i was almost left behind a few times since i needed to put the music playing through youtube since i didnt anticipate i'd need chromium.

The delays etc didn't bother me really, these things happen.

Other than that solid event i'd say, im not the best roleplayer but the plot was interesting for me to follow.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  19. Antloin

Antloin Molecule

Nebulae:
    I am glad that I could help you Mael, sorry for poking you on the 2nd map though.​

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice