Black Screen After Character Select

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
This problem started to happen about a week ago and since then it happens every time I join the server for the first time in a day.

After I load into the server, which is a process in it of itself because my PC is not the best, I will be met with the Main Menu and then the Character Select screen. I choose my character and off I go - except I don't, because I am met with a blackscreen with only the ability to open my Console and nothing else.

My only option then is to enter 'Retry' into my Console and keep rejoining the server until I can get past this black screen. A good indicator for me to know that I've gotten past it is sound. If I click on my character and the sound is the ambiance of the map without any faults to it, I'm stuck. If the ambiance begins to loop on itself, that means I'm loading in and can actually play.

Please help if you can, this shit is so annoying because again for me to even join it takes about 30 minutes and then I have to keep doing this. At the least I have to join the server twice, and my highest record of rejoins is at like - six or so. It wastes my time to participate and I just want to be there with the gang ;-(

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Phone posting so I apologise if this is incoherent or sloppy, but this happened to me and continues to happen to me now and again.

The only thing I can say to you is when you hit the main menu you need to wait for the intro music to kick in on the menu, or just waiting in general for 5-10 mins. If I don't hear Flatline (or if I don't hear it and don't wait 5-10 mins if I wanna try) I am 100% of the time going to get trapped on the black screen. Only started happening to me when I switched to 64 bit.

My PC also isn't very good.

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
Phone posting so I apologise if this is incoherent or sloppy, but this happened to me and continues to happen to me now and again.

The only thing I can say to you is when you hit the main menu you need to wait for the intro music to kick in on the menu, or just waiting in general for 5-10 mins. If I don't hear Flatline (or if I don't hear it and don't wait 5-10 mins if I wanna try) I am 100% of the time going to get trapped on the black screen. Only started happening to me when I switched to 64 bit.

My PC also isn't very good.

I'm attempting another re-join right now. I'll see if this starts to correlate in the near future, I appreciate the tip.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I'm attempting another re-join right now. I'll see if this starts to correlate in the near future, I appreciate the tip.
Every time the intro music has kicked in or if I wait 5-10 minutes on the menu if I don't hear it, it's worked and let me hop on a character. So good luck!

Yurivw

Storage Expert
Nebulae
God that sounds like a pain in the ass. I wonder what is actually causing the problem. Are any of your components running at full speed during this? (Like using A high percentage cpu or maxing out on your hard drive speed?)

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
God that sounds like a pain in the ass. I wonder what is actually causing the problem. Are any of your components running at full speed during this? (Like using A high percentage cpu or maxing out on your hard drive speed?)
I'll have to check it out soon. However, I've noticed that every time I join, I know it will fail if I look in the upper-right of my screen and see that red server disconnect message that counts down. So now it's a question of why am I disconnecting from the server as soon as I join it?

Yurivw

Storage Expert
Nebulae
I'll have to check it out soon. However, I've noticed that every time I join, I know it will fail if I look in the upper-right of my screen and see that red server disconnect message that counts down. So now it's a question of why am I disconnecting from the server as soon as I join it?
Could be that you're timing out because your computer is too busy loading the game to send information back to the server...

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
Could be that you're timing out because your computer is too busy loading the game to send information back to the server...
If that were true, what might I do that could fix that - if anything?

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
if the issue still persists do net_graph 5 and send a picture of it right after you load in - it should be empty

sounds very well like a common gmod network issue to me so try the following
  1. flush your dns cache
  2. restart your router

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
if the issue still persists do net_graph 5 and send a picture of it right after you load in - it should be empty

sounds very well like a common gmod network issue to me so try the following
  1. flush your dns cache
  2. restart your router
I tried to do the 'net_graph 5' command, however I can hardly make out any of the information behind all the post-processing filter effects of the main menu and character select screens. Once I get to the forever black screen, it covers up the information entirely. So I'll simply try the flushing and restarting.

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
I should say here that I essentially fixed my problem.

I deleted and transferred a bunch of files to another drive in-order to free up space.
I bought a WiFi Extender (a Power Adapter) to connect my PC more directly to my Router.

Beyond the above, I plan to upgrade my PC's components as well - specifically the CPU and GPU, and hopefully memory as well.