Businesses in HL2RP

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by cowgirl, Mar 1, 2019.

1. cowgirl

cowgirl terminally pretty
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Back in Clockwork, there used to be so many businesses. There used to be too much competition, if I remember correctly, and CWU had a lot of work with supplying businesses. It was overall a pretty good time in terms of possible passive RP. Coming back into Nebulous after a few years with the new script and design, I'm pretty shocked to see that businesses rarely open.

I may just be on at the wrong times, or perhaps misunderstand how the model actually works, but it seems to me that there's either not enough business owners, or those who do own businesses are inactive. I think that I can safely say, without exaggerating, that yesterday was the only time I was able to buy something as shop was opened briefly. I heard rumors that they got on so that they wouldn't get their license revoked.

So tell me, I'm a horribly misunderstanding the situation and it isn't as dire as I believe it to be, or could we be promoting active players to open stores that aren't restaurants, bars, or clubs? I just want to buy bags god dammit.

• nebulous nebulous x 8
  2. Poopship McGee

Poopship McGee BOOMER AT TWENTY-TWO
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I want to open a store but you need black tier or something.

Charlotte's Funhaus anyone?

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  3. xelA

xelA Nucleus
    HL2 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    There really isn't that many shops that are opening. There's one by the spawn that opens up, with the dudes face on the front of the door.
    Club eight also just got a license change and its reopening on Saturday, so there might be a business surge after that

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Breathing ツ

Breathing ツ Proton

Nebulae:
    Imagine grinding your way up to black tier just to open up a restaurant.

It'd certainly be nice if someone were to open up a clothing store or a bag store. Think I might have an idea in mind to go around that -- just need to be more active on the server.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  5. Poopship McGee

Poopship McGee BOOMER AT TWENTY-TWO
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    If anything, you should get black tier for running an active restaurant so it brings life to the city, but yes, I'm sure criminal elements would abuse it if there was no minimum requirement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Breathing ツ

Breathing ツ Proton

Nebulae:
    I haven't played in a long time, but could these inactive restaurants potentially just be evicted if they don't stay active for a time period? The same way factions are held? Just makes it discouraging for aspiring store owners to see that there are only a few open spots whilst the rest are being filled up w/ people who barely play.

7. xelA

xelA Nucleus
    HL2 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    Licenses expire but usually the people running them try to last ditch effort revive the shop a bit before then, happened with Club Eight before the license swapped over

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. cowgirl

cowgirl terminally pretty
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    It seems that activity picks up towards the end of the month before the license expires, then dies again.

9. Breathing ツ

Breathing ツ Proton

Nebulae:
    And management (if there is a management) doesn't pick up on this? Sorry if I'm mistaken, but this just seems really scummy. I can understand why people do this if they've got some shit going on in their lives, but if they're just not wanting to commit, they should hand over the store location to someone else.

Like you had mentioned before, maybe add incentives for people to open up stores, or even continue running the stores. I realize that running a store actively means you get more coin, but if people are obviously not playing and then rejoining before their license expires, there most likely isn't a huge incentive to continue playing or to continue running that store.

I don't know a lot about this though, since I'm only now hearing of this.

10. Dr Heckyll

Dr Heckyll Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    It's just a drag. It's boring most of the time and there is no incentive to do it as tokens are worthless.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • nebulous nebulous x 2
  11. xelA

xelA Nucleus
    HL2 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    What makes it boring?

12. Dr Heckyll

Dr Heckyll Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    It's a job. A virtual job. It's something you're expected to do every time you log on. I had a stand for a while but I left that snooze fest.
    You just don't get much quality rp as a business owner. You're there to facillitate passive for citizens, but when barely anyone talks back to you you get nothing in return. If it was CW I wouldn't mind because I would br making mad stacks but that's no longer useful.

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  13. xelA

xelA Nucleus
    HL2 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    That's fair, it really does depend on who you get coming in. I've noticed the main street that runs up towards the Nexus on C08 gets all the new player traffic, other than the business owners and the side streets / alleys get a lot of the experienced people - mostly at the car fire or some other hidden spots I haven't found.

Businesses really do need some form of incentive other than tokens, that seems to be the general idea everyone is getting at. The other factions have reward programs, but businesses are treated as standard citizen roles.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  14. Powley

Powley Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    When I ran Rossi’s I’d come home and I would be expected to be on the server for atleast two hours a night manning the bar. This wasn’t an issue.

Here are what I found the issues:

Money is worthless
    On top of your real job, you’re not allowed even a week off for personal reasons, unlike CWU who ran the shops or event administrators from their virtual job. It just wasn’t allowed so you were never given a break
    Hiring staff became hard, as you would hire people but there was no guarantee that they’d be there tomorrow, the day after, and all that jazz. Meaning it’s be impossible to know if you could take a break or if it was covered.
    Shipments were, and although I think this has been resolved, a disaster to try and even get, with our stock being limited in the first few weeks.

Now if you work a 45-60 hour work week IRL, you atleast want some leeway when you come on a server to provide a place of RP - this is not given

• nebulous nebulous x 15
  15. Appetite Ruining Kebab

Nebulae:
    This always bugged me. Running a store, or any kind of business for that matter could suddenly turn from "job" to "something everyone grinds willingly" if there was something nice enough to do with 2k-5k tokens.

Maybe buy your way into loyalty perks? Instead of paying 500 a week for your loyalist apartment as a Red tier, you pay 1k a week as a Black tier. Or open up the Real food economy to everyone so that those who have the money regardless of who they are can sink it into buying it up. Those are just some of the ideas off the top of my head.

Introduce money-sinking luxuries to the server, and the players will do the rest.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  16. milS

milS Molecule
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    Dw I got a plan to make money atleast semi-useful ic soon as atleast a token sink

Just gotta talk to some people

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frosty

Frosty Schlong
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Tokens really aren't worthless when it comes to getting mats and such

I also don't think there's a black tier requirement

18. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    they made sense during CW but tokens legit only buy like more food and those dumb uniforms

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  19. Snowl

Snowl Molecule
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    no there is a black tier requirement

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Frosty

Frosty Schlong
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Ain't enforced very well then lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice