Completed Can't upload a GIF avatar despite it being far below the size limit. (Selective?)

Nebulae
I've done this many times before: crop/optimize a GIF so that it's at least 25% under the file size limit, and I never seem to get a GIF through. The limit is 195.3 KB or something. I have a GIF that is literally a square and reduced to 85 KB. Again, this scenario has happened many times before, and most of those times I just gave up and returned to my unimpressive still-image avatar. I've asked people for help before, but they couldn't figure out why it wasn't working, or maybe I'm completely forgetting something I've been told. I've even tried saving multiple copies of the same GIF to see if it's just weird selective file shit. I can't figure out exactly what makes the size limiter tick, so thus I cannot make the perfect GIF. Is it the color blue? Is it just BIASED? Is the limit wrong?

I tried another GIF—fast, full of color, and 125 KB and it worked just fine. What the heckle? I don't wanna be the Italian still-image anymore. It makes no sense to me. :(

If it for some reason is a premium-only thing, I shove blame onto the website's development and not onto my clueless asocial ass.

EDIT: Look at that, I got to upload a 145 KB GIF but not my shitty 85 KB one that I actually want.
I hope someone else has this problem and I'm not just stupid.

Last edited:

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I had the same problem, send it to someone with admin CP perms and proof that it's the proper file size and they can force it.

Reactions: List

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
XenForo doesn't just limit .gifs through size, there are a few other variables to it (from my understanding on XenForo support forums). As @Knight said a nice guy like @Blackquill can probably force it for you.

Otherwise see if you can lessen the duration (time) of the .gif, and try again. That may work.