Serious Capital Hill Autonomous Zone

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by HBaguette, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Weaponized Autism

Weaponized Autism My dick way too small to have y’all on it.

Nebulae:
  2. big chungus

big chungus Nucleus

Nebulae:
    I think that trying to make it a race thing detracts from the real issue at hand. It’s not that police officers are racially discriminatory when it comes to killing people (although some are), it’s just that police officers are killing people. They’re over and unnecessarily equipped with military gear that they’re not trained to use, they’re not trained well enough in general and an alarming amount of them are just bad cops who abuse their position of power because they enjoy having authority over other people, and as a result some pretty horrific shit can follow.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Shrike

Shrike corn lord

Nebulae:
    yes of course, how silly, there is clearly no structural racism in america, everyone knows that, it's obvious

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. WeakenedHen5

WeakenedHen5 Molecule

Nebulae:
    I’m honestly bewildered that people don’t see this hahaha what the actual fuck

I’m not even going to debate the fact if we are going to start into statistics of how many people are shot dead a year it should literally be none

blacks are disproportionally represented in those statistics too, considering they make up less of the population

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. MaelRadecs

MaelRadecs Best Damn ODST

Nebulae:
    Historically sure, I won't deny that structural racism existed in this country with slavery and more but once the civil rights act passed there was no more structural racism in this country.

You know what's important to politicians? Votes, especially votes from a particular group. In some cases their entire campaign may be based around racial injustice, to fuel that fire more and more and thus, grant them the attention they desire. Hell, maybe even a few riots will start over it.

Ironically enough, while the west does not practice slavery, its citizens still point to slavery and drown in self-guilt while slavery continues in many parts of Africa and the middle east.

Does racism exist? Yep, everywhere. Can we fix it? We have on the large scale, and while I'm in agreement that even one racist is too much, this country is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be with racism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jb

jb Molecule

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Goatson

Goatson Guardian

Nebulae:
    *deep breath*
    DESPITE-

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Shrike

Shrike corn lord

Nebulae:
    structural racism does not refer to the legislative and legal limits put on a group of people by law, but rather wider societal reception and attitudes that indirectly limit the freedoms and opportunities of the people affected.

the easiest way to explain all of this is by Berlin's concepts of positive and negative liberty. Structural racism is almost a perfect example of a limitation of positive liberties. Even though people of colour have been subject to negative liberties and a freedom from interference and barriers by law since 1964, it does not necessarily mean that they enjoy the same liberties, freedoms and opportunities as white people in America.

Reading "Two Concepts of Liberty" is a good start towards understanding what people actually talk about when they say that structural racism is negatively affecting the freedoms and rights of minorities despite the legal changes brought in decades ago that has technically outlawed direct discrimination. I thoroughly recommend it since it's more easy to understand coming from a classical perspective on freedom and liberty rather than the at times heavy slog that modern poststructuralist theory easily tends to become.

The discussion about the legal rights of black people in america was settled fifty years ago, but that does not mean they are as free as whites.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. MaelRadecs

MaelRadecs Best Damn ODST

Nebulae:
    I'll give that a look, thank you.

10. Clokr

Clokr Molecule

Nebulae:
    This is something that I have said before to friends and others I’ve spoke to regarding this whole “racism” point. You’re absolutely right. But as much as I fucking despise it, we as humans will never be able to fully stomp it out, it’s just impossible. There will always be that one bad apple. The best we can do is just make it so uncommon that it doesn’t effect most people.

I’m tired myself of being told to be ashamed of being white, being told that I have “privilege” and kiss the boots of other races just because I’m a different fucking color. If I wanted to hop on this bandwagon I’d shit on all the other white Americans because I have Cherokee blood, if I wanted I’d shit on the white man for stealing all of our land and murdering our people. I’m going to continue to be proud of who I am and where I come from. And I’ll continue to not give a shit of who your father was or what color you are. So what if your skin is darker? Cool I guess. But I can’t see the pigment change myself. Everyone is the same in my eyes, all humans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nnaM sitooP

nnaM sitooP What a pathetic string of words

Nebulae:
    Okay you do understand that this is literally impossible and an absolutely moronic way to avoid a legitimate point
    Again, if you look at actual statistics and factual information you will see that the number of black and white deaths by police correlated with the number of violent crimes committed

12. WeakenedHen5

WeakenedHen5 Molecule

Nebulae:
    okay you do understand I don’t care what you think lol

if you’re going to defend the idea that cops shooting unarmed human beings for no reason because “oh it’s ok because it’s proportional” then it’s moronic

I’m sorry but Americans (in general) are so self obsessed with calling their country the greatest country in the world when it’s absolutely not, there is so much more to disagree with that statement than support it. I could go and look up statistics but I’d rather not argue the ethics or the issues of systemic racism with someone from a Garry’s Mod roleplay community lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mesa

Mesa Molecule

Nebulae:
    It should be none... yes, it'd be nice if there was no violent crime and no need for police officers to shoot people who are posing a threat to both their lives and the lives of innocents. Police aren't going to stand there and let a criminal shoot them and others just so the number of police shootings can go down to 0. Makes absolutely no sense.

Struggling to find your point here. Those aren't fake statistics man, it's not about 'representation', it's factual. If they're 'disproportionately presented', maybe it's because they're disproportionately committing more crime and getting in more situations that get you shot?
    Merged:
    that statistic isnt unarmed people shot its the number of people shot

14. nnaM sitooP

nnaM sitooP What a pathetic string of words

Nebulae:
    You’re clearly missing the point here. Police don’t go around shooting people because they’re a certain color. If you would simply take a few minutes out of your day to leave behind your “america bad police bad” mindset and do genuine research you’ll very quickly see that this isn’t the case. Just because someone is unarmed doesn’t mean they’re not capable of killing someone or threatening another person’s wellbeing, and you can find plenty of clips online where people have shot unarmed people, in a completely justified way, as a means to defend themselves or others
    maybe don’t make stupid posts with blatantly made up statistics in the section made to discuss current events then? God damn

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ond

Ond Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    the actions of some do necessitate getting shot, as there's no other alternative

but it's no secret that american law enforcement is quick to draw

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Megafreak

Megafreak shit medic

Nebulae:
    american police shoot everyone equally

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Soviet

Soviet Proton

Nebulae:

you dropped this crown king

GOD BLESS AMERICA

18. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    gross

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Whilt

Whilt Woh

Nebulae:
    god better bless america in its current state

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    divine intervention may be our only hope

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice