Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Its a roguelike, open-source. Think of it as sort of like Dwarf Fortress in adventure mode, but better. Loads of mods and stuff, updated constantly, randomly generated and massively customisable.

Game has been updated a lot since the review was made but 99% of it still holds true.

Played for the first time in a few years today and my experience was:
  • Walk out of Government Mandated Evac Shelter (random starting point) and instantly get attacked by a pair of Pitbull mixes.
  • Lure them inside the shelter so the other survivor in there gets attacked by them instead.
  • Run back outside and slam the door.
  • Realise the entire area to my east is infested by rapidly-expanding alien fungal pods and ambulatory mushrooms that can infect you and turn you into one yourself if they manage to spore on you.
  • Run into the city to my north.
  • Get mobbed by zombies because its a city.
  • Run into a turret placed by a dead soldier and get shredded.
  • Watch as zombies at my body.
Fantastic game.

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
the amount of threads on this game is insane

listen
if you want to survive any amount of time, tear down a curtain, grab a metal stick from the pole and bash something wooden
craft a cudgel and a knapsack

then avoid fights, and find a car

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Update 2:

Tried to go into a police station. Had three zombified armoured police dogs bust through the window ala Resident Evil and maul me to death. Managed to crawl into the next room and shut the door.

I don't think they can bust down doors like human zombies but the noise they made is gonna bring more.

I await death.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Update 2:

Tried to go into a police station. Had three zombified armoured police dogs bust through the window ala Resident Evil and maul me to death. Managed to crawl into the next room and shut the door.

I don't think they can bust down doors like human zombies but the noise they made is gonna bring more.

I await death.

never go to a city unless you're a mutant or a cyborg or have a fuckton of guns/armor