Suggestion Change Vort SWEP to fire a weak laser while charging up the main beam

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Suggestion: The only way I can visualize this, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is how the Charge RIfle used to work in Apex Legends. Took me forever to find a good clip on YouTube that actually demonstrates this, but here:

(Let the records show that I do not play Apex Legends, I just remember the most irrelevant things from browsing the web.)
While the oldschool single-shot beam is charging up, the SWEP could fire out a weaker beam that does small amounts of damage-per-second - kind of like how the Stalker welding laser works in HL2Ep1. But once the chargeup is complete, the "actual" beam we're all familiar with fires out.

Why it would be worth adding:
While the vortigaunt beam looks and feels hella cool in retail Half-Life, the fact is that it's very awkward to use in multiplayer - let alone PvP. Enemy side will get sniped across the map with little feedback (though this is symptomatic of long-range weapons in general, I think this can be amended for Vorts' own method of sniping without looking weird) just as much as friendly side gets beamed to the back of their head out of the blue (or green). With the weak mid-charge laser, however?

For enemies, they could now actually peek vorts with some leeway, but still have to be careful not to have their HP and armor burned by the weak laser.
For friendlies, they could maneuver with their vorts easier in combat, and the damage of weak laser helps signal everyone about the risk of FF teamkill.

I reckon this solution - if doable - would do well to address these two common sources of anguish about vortigaunts (though the lack of damage falloff is still its own problem that'll need to be addressed separately.)

Necessary content: The blood, sweat and tears of a developer, but given how unreasonable that would be, I'm not surprised if this thread is denied. You'd somehow need to replicate the way the Stalker laser works (at least in terms of damage output) within the chargeup period before the actual, single-shot, big-damage beam is fired.

Generally Fruity

Proton
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
vortigaunts are scary... debuffing them is "ludo narrative dissonance"