Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
So, this happened.
I just got a new keyboard, Cerberus
PR-ASUS-Announces-Cerberus-Gaming-Keyboard-and-Cerberus-Gaming-Mouse-2.jpg

to replace my old one. It seemed to work fine and dandy up until the point I tried to view "Character and Roleplay Info" screen accessible by holding F1 button.
You see, said screen flickers on for only a split second and then disappears, instead of staying there when I hold the F1 button.
I've tried restarting Gmod and joining the server again, but it didn't work.
Everything else works perfectly fine for me.

Edit: Small update, I tried verifying the cache and restarting the whole computer, didn't work either.

Last edited:

Encore

sketchy
Nebulae
Your keyboard has a macro or something then.

Zomba

Nucleus
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I had this problem too with my new keyboard all my binds reset etc i think you need to look up for the bind and bind it to a other key. Atleast that's how i did it. It was something like showup_help i don't remember.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Oh geez, I have no clue how macros work. Researching that is gonna be fun isn't it?
I had this problem too with my new keyboard all my binds reset etc i think you need to look up for the bind and bind it to a other key. Atleast that's how i did it. It was something like showup_help i don't remember.
Hmm, I see. Will try next time I'm on the computer!

green name

Proton
Nebulae
type bind f1 in the console

if it does not say
Code:
gm_showhelp
then type
Code:
bind f1 gm_showhelp

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Well, I tried out @green name 's thing, and f1 was still bound to gm_showhelp when I typed 'bind f1' in the console.

Edit:
Looking at MacroKey Manager right now, there's nothing bound to F1 button.

Last edited:

green name

Proton
Nebulae
Well, I tried out @green name 's thing, and f1 was still bound to gm_showhelp when I typed 'bind f1' in the console.

Edit:

Looking at MacroKey Manager right now, there's nothing bound to F1 button.
well I mean you can try binding gm_showhelp to another key for now until we can find out what the problem is

green name

Proton
Nebulae
I also tried that, didn't work either.
so it isnt the keyboard, its the game (or is it?)

what keyboard did you have before, and are they different/same language sets?

example:
2000px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png

british keyboard
vizeasycut_usersguide_us_keyboard_layout.png

american keyboard

heaveN

bomber rat
Nebulae
Bind gm showhelp to a another key. Fixed the issue for me

Redhunter

On and Off UP Lead
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Hello.
I noticed your keyboard has a function key button, located to the right of the spacebar. Try pressing that in F1 when toggling the menu to see if that helps. I had a similar issue on one of my old keyboards which wouldn't let me take screenshots.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Bind gm showhelp to a another key. Fixed the issue for me
well I mean you can try binding gm_showhelp to another key for now until we can find out what the problem is

I also tried that, didn't work either.

Hello.
I noticed your keyboard has a function key button, located to the right of the spacebar. Try pressing that in F1 when toggling the menu to see if that helps. I had a similar issue on one of my old keyboards which wouldn't let me take screenshots.
Sorry, these instructions are a bit unclear to me. Are you talking about pressing F1 and FN at the same time to see if anything changes? Trying to do the same, but in the Options menu for Show Help? Either way, it didn't work.

green name

Proton
Nebulae
Sorry, these instructions are a bit unclear to me. Are you talking about pressing F1 and FN at the same time to see if anything changes? Trying to do the same, but in the Options menu for Show Help? Either way, it didn't work.

i dont really have any solutions right now except for just asking questions that maybe dont really matter tbh
but did you try using your old keyboard and does it work?
if so it is definitely the keyboard or how the game "responds" to the new keyboard, but for some reason binding gm_showhelp wont work on any other key, so like, cant tell if the game wont let you see the f1 menu or your keyboard. you are in a really confusing situation rn that even linus from tech tips cant even figure this shit out

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
did you try using your old keyboard and does it work?
It did, although due to my internet being real wonky atm, I can't do further tests in-server without my internet dying minute later.
But yeah, bottom line, F1 menu works on old keyboard

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
@Redhunter is correct. You must use the Fn key when utilizing your F# keys.

Not sure why its setup like a fucking laptop
but whatever

Hope it works for you.

Reactions: List

green name

Proton
Nebulae
@Redhunter is correct. You must use the Fn key when utilizing your F# keys.

Not sure why its setup like a fucking laptop
but whatever

Hope it works for you.
he bought a new keyboard for a laptop? wait what i dont get it
edit: i get it nevermind

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Yeah, I got around on fixing this, thanks to the info from you guys!
I checked the manual and the red lights meant the macro mode was enabled. I just had to press FN+Caps and the macro mode was disabled. The colors also changed to blue, so that's snazzy.
Anyway, this is now solved, gonna ask this to get locked.
And again, thank you so much people for helping, my misreading´(aka didn't read your guys' instructions properly) caused this problem to persist far longer than it should've.
So, yeah. Solved.

Reactions: List
Status
Not open for further replies.