1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious City 19 - Building a Concept

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by Gunslinger_, Oct 30, 2017.

?

Do you like what you see so far?

1. Yes

93.6%
  2. No

6.4%
  1. Gunslinger_

Gunslinger_ Ordinary CP, CWU, & WI

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

So, recently, I've been thinking about creating a brand new map specifically for nebulous.cloud (as of right now) as a successor to City 24. The map will be taking inspiration mainly from Industrial 17 and City 8, two maps I think are rather definitive for the HL2RP gamemode. I've created this thread to show my progress in its creation, also allowing me to view ideas and suggestions for City 19 so this map may turn out to be great in the future.

[​IMG]
    City 19 is meant to be a new yet familiar experience to HL2RP players. The map is intended to be tight and small so that players are forced to roleplay. This new city is a complete break from the extremely open areas of City 24 that make citizens and newcomers lost. Hopefully this map will be enjoyable enough for everyone.

Note: This map does not follow the Current State of Affairs thread. Please do not expect any real life similarities to Christchurch as those are not to be focused on. My current focus is making the map layout as catchy and responsive enough to the player. Any suggestions regarding this will be denied, including changing the city number/name.

Main Area / Plaza (CS1)
    [​IMG]

Here, you're gonna find a majority of the citizen and loyalist roleplay. The area will be tightened enough with props like benches and hand railings that forces people to do some actual roleplaying. This area is basically to socialize, but you might find it to be the source of some strange activity if you're lucky.

High-Priority Region Lobby (HPRL)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new lobby for the base of operations for Civil Protection. This is the curtain that hides what the officers of City 19 do. Nothing too special about this area, but it's a good place to check for Civil Protection units if you need one and don't have a request device.

High-Priority Region - Prosecution Sector (HPR1)
    [​IMG]

Soon to be here is the so-called Prosecution Sector, an area of the Civil Protection "headquarters" that allows officers to re-educate and amputate citizens. In addition, there's to be a special room for interrogating citizens, similar to Industrial 17's version. This sector doesn't provide much, but trust me, the Revitalization Sector is pretty sweet.

High-Priority Region - Revitalization Sector (HPR2)
    [​IMG]

Soon to be here is the Revitalization Sector. Here, you'll find nearly every single Civil Protection essential. Inside includes a barracks for officers to rest in, a medical center for officers to heal, along with some MR machinery inside. Additionally, there is a simple "break room" for officers to chat and eat their special rations, and a shooting range for officers to practice their weapon aiming.

Warehouse Lobby (PBL)
    [​IMG]

A small little area that has been included to allow citizens to line up for workshifts. Civil Worker Union members (and Civil Protection) will be able to open up the warehouse door here to let citizens inside. Again, there's nothing special about this area, so I think it's time to move on.

Warehouse One - Food/Drink Production (PB1)
    [​IMG]

This CWU warehouse here is made for producing food and drinks, along with a storage area in the next room that allows workers to store finished food and drink products. Of course, there will be tables and ovens that allow citizens to actually do workshifts here. There are also going to be a couple small-sized drink tanks that are able to fill up as many drinks as you want.

That's all the content and concepts I have to show and tell for now. Again, if you have any suggestions or ideas, please leave them in a reply to this thread and I'll get back to you.

#1 Gunslinger_, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • nebulous nebulous x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andrew

Andrew Electron

Nebulae:
    be a cool guy

vertical map or riot

• Agree Agree x 7
    • nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. '77 East

'77 East Nucleus

Nebulae:
    jesus christ why is everyone taking up the hammer editor after I made that post

anyway, don't bother with individual cells, just throw everyone into 1 giant detainment block because most offences are purely get beat / get shot.

it's unrealistic for civil protection to use a bunker; a standard converted police station would be a better aesthetic.

don't clump all the shops into the plaza or rebelrp will suffer because anyone who tries to shoplift will be gunned down by a 25 that accidentally walked out of the nexus; instead, gradually spread them around the map.

cwu warehouses should have a height of x3 players and scaffolding. it is a warehouse, not a cube.

don't forget the needs for every faction:
    • w.i - science shit, labs, offices, something cool (e.g. observation room for fauna)
    • c.w.u - offices, warehouses for storage, somewhere to use as a workshift.
    • terminal - give them a few offices
    • CAB - a few offices, and a secure place to organize a meeting; servants quarters optional [i'm joking don't do it]
    • Overwatch [that is, Units] - everything you have in place, plus some offices, armoury, firing range.
    • conscripts - offices, storage, whatever.
    • rebels - lots, and lots of hiding places and tunnels.
    • citizens - lol who gives a fuck about bluesuits these days

you can't fucking optimize an integrated vertical tower

trust me, I have tried, you will get worse fps than gm_sandbox filled with ragdolls

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  4. Warwick

Warwick 'Queerlord'

Nebulae:
    let's be honest here; for a map to be ideal you'll have to take the best things from other maps:
    • i17's grunge aesthetic and secret base mechanic, and functional nexus
    • c8_v2's verticality and ability to clamber along pipes, the side of buildings; and the cramped alleys
    • r17's sewer system and slum area; and ease of access to all areas
    • c24's bars and shop areas for citizens/rebels
    make the city taller than it is wide; it'd be far more interesting to escape CPs by running into a cramped area, hiding in a vent and clambering through onto the next level up, or next level down

think this kind of aesthetic and cramped nature:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 14
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Andrew

Andrew Electron

Nebulae:
    I can actually give a decent response since I slept

The reason i17 worked so well and many people are finding a problem with C24 is because of its base functionality (not secret bases reeee)

The verticality of the trains and the additional platforms above that make a map that is just 2 streets already a huge deal to traverse, because you can actively get away with tons of things there - be it selling, buying, a deal, dead drops, etc.

I'll admit I'm more inclined to vertical maps, but i17 felt more like a game whilst C24 feels more like what it would be like in real life, somewhat - secret bases all over, tons and tons of bits and pieces and areas that broke off the main path, and lots of fun things to do - having cramped areas and hallways can give you more space to do things such as tunnels and whatnot, and have fun with it.

Take one of my favorite games and maps, E.Y.E - Divine Cybermancy and New Eden.

A sprawling metropolis, it's grungy, it's huge, it has areas that you have no reason to ever even go to other than sprinting from attackers, and it has a completely massive but basic sewer system way way way under everything for traversal and sneaking.

I'm by no means saying any vents should be connected to everything, but if you plan on having a system of vents as suggested, there should be many that lead into small rooms or a system with twists and turns that has many unmarked small/medium rooms to hide in - barricaded or unconnected to the main city, apart from the vent.

Honestly, what you should do is study older source games and current rp maps for as much decent ideas as you can - Neotokyo for just cramming in cool things to look at (redlight_ctg) E.Y.E and its many maps for things like I said, places to get lost, etc.

I don't have any experience in mapping, but I can definitely tell you it's more interesting to be vertical slightly than it is to be flatter - should you choose to go for a vertical aesthetic, that is.

What 77 East said is also true - having holding cells for civil protection wouldn't be a good idea unless it's planned for High Command usage or a mix of non-HC and HC.

This entire post was pretty much just me sharing what I enjoy personally, but you really should go seek through older games for ideas.

Edit: Okay, some further elaboration -

If you build the map with things like S2K in mind, it may end up better/worse, depending on how it's handled - especially if you go for a cramped map, remember it's roleplay but gun battles will occur, rather avoid a universal chokepoint everyone uses.

You really should study Neotokyo, especially the map I mentioned - it's incredibly important you make the map look vibrant and colorful, but not too much - rather than the same brown and grey and washed out stuff, there should be either lights like C24 every once in a while and actual colour and greenery, over just a mess of industrialized brown - it adds to the aesthetic of grunge, yes, but it just gets old if there's no mixup sometimes. Even a worn-out colorful poster can work.

#5 Andrew, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    • nebulous nebulous x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gunslinger_

Nebulae:
    I will keep it to a detainment / prosecution block, but I'll keep the cells there, or at least one or two, for higher command. Also, I'm sorry, I meant a barrack instead of a bunker. Either way though, I honestly find the converted police station idea a bit stale. While the idea of the Nexus being originally built to house good personnel is cool and sort of scary, but I frankly don't think it would fit in the HL2 world or even HL2RP.

I can't guarantee any buildings that tall, but the tallest buildings you'll find will be apartments/housing buildings and rebel bases/camps. I also do plan to keep i17's aesthetic and C24's bars and shops, but I'll try to check out C8 and r17 again, I don't remember those ones quite well.

7. -(BREAD)-thebiggerboat3

Nebulae:

So, sort of like 1960's Hong Kong residential areas with apartments stacked ontop of apartments? Basically, the entire city is built ontop of rooftops. That's a very interesting idea to explore.

8. Gunslinger_

Nebulae:
    I'd like to explore that idea eventually, likely not with C19, but of course with my own map, maybe even a HL2 mod.

9. Gunslinger_

Nebulae:
    An update has been pushed out that adds some more CWU based areas in (plus the streets). I'd like some feedback and criticism if anybody has any. Remember, please tell me your ideas and suggestions, it helps push the map forward and make it better.

10. Foxar

Foxar maybe dead

Nebulae:
    Personally i'd like to see a map that keeps with a low-fi aesthetic (unlike City8 Deus Akira Ghost in the Mass Effect aesthetic), including the nexus and such, while staying away from HL2 Beta aesthetic (which is was i17 did). Like for instance, CP 17 MP from the beta but with HL2 retail aesthetic.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  11. FriendlyMan

FriendlyMan eating seeds as a pastime activity

Nebulae:
    This sort of reminds me of the building from Dredd (The good one) where it's like, 100 floors and cramped as fuck.
    I loved that film so i'm excited as to what will come next. Also Avenged Sevenfold is fucking sick.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  12. Mt3c1

Mt3c1 Nucleus

Nebulae:
    Good instrumental btw.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  13. CerbyTM

CerbyTM Quark

Nebulae:
    In a map, I think it's most important to focus on:
    • Making it easy for the CPs to cover most of the main city
    • Bringing it all together in a central location
    • Residential areas for citizens (I have seen far too many entirely homeless citizens)
    • Capturing the industrial feeling that would be everpresent in a Combine-controlled city
    I would recommend against a vertical map despite what others have said, though, as it tends to make it so that crime can go absolutely unhindered because of how difficult it is for CPs to cover locations and chase. This is a major issue for City 8, V2.

Don't be like City 8v2 and make the entire map a jumblefuck of unorganized apartments stacked together; that just makes it boring and spreads everyone out too much. You must also be careful to avoid making the map like City 8 v3, which almost always (in my experience, at least) leads to congestion and boredom for CPs and citizens alike. It also makes crime too easy to cut off, as CPs can respond in mere seconds to a fight or shooting.

Overall:
    • Make the map large, but not feel like it's too spread out.
    • Try not to make things too difficult for CPs to effectively cover, as that eliminates their purpose.
    • Try to have ample residential and industrial areas to let CitizenRP flourish
    • Add ample space for businesses, as that also greatly benefits CitizenRP
    • Tie it all together with one central location in the map, with almost every pathway leading back to it in some way. Industrial 17 does this perfectly with the plaza.

Good luck with your map :grinning: I'm sure it'll be great!

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  14. Mute

Mute Proton

Nebulae:
    Good luck with your map mate, hopefully it turns out good!

• nebulous nebulous x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  15. Gunslinger_

Nebulae:
    I've made a small demo featuring City 19 to show a more in depth look at how big it is, plus some doors and additional rooms/buildings like the Ration Distribution Center and the CWU Shop.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  16. Zak

Zak Resident xenophile
    Developer

Nebulae:
    for the love of god please follow valve-standard dimensions, everything here looks super oversized

walls should be 128 units high, not including the ceiling, stairs should be 8 units high and 12 units long, ideally clipped, doors should have a 4-unit door frame around them (making the frame a total of 112x72 units iirc), and so on

general rule for non-standard doors like garages and stuff is that they should be multiples of 16 in size, and 4 units thick (unless you're intentionally going for super-thick blast doors or w/e), and slaving doors as soon as you create them to avoid forgetting about it in the future is good practice

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  17. Dalekbread boi

Nebulae:
    This is a really nice looking map, just from the basic outline I like it, keep it up!

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  18. Gunslinger_

Nebulae:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but resizing the walls is gonna be pretty to extremely hard.

19. '77 East

'77 East Nucleus

Nebulae:
    Which is why you do it initially so you aren't screwed over by having to rechange things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. -(BREAD)-thebiggerboat3

Nebulae:
    -snip-

Did not mean to post this here. I'm dumb

#20 -(BREAD)-thebiggerboat3, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017