Serious [Review] Art of The Week

Nebulae
THEY_TOOK_HIS_HYDRATION.jpg

steambored

Make no mistake, this is a one-way trip.
Nebulae
4f30f1e027fe.jpg

kinda gave up halfway through this one but thought its worth the shot to post anyway

Reactions: List

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
Hey sorry had a really busy monday, things are not great.
These submissions sure are though, lets gooo

Awesome start already, the strong stoic kind of imposing posture the model has really asserts the power in the picture and the use of negative space involved around the left and right. Clearly composed with this portrait image in mind so wHY NOT USE A PORTRAIT width and length like your last sub! Could've been half way to an awesome poster like the last one. Still gold though, keep it up.

Much like Inaudibles submission, just enough light and the pose itself is really good albeit the face coulda done with a bit of work. And I'll be saying till I die that you guys need to use more Portrait width and length for just the model! And then some text at the bottom makes an awesome editorial bit of work. I especially like how the light reflects off the barrel. Great work (his hands are a bit big though innit?).

Wow, what a picture. What a wonderful piece of work we have right here. Excellent posing and composition of each model in the frame. Some of the best lighting seen in a while with just enough detail and props to make it a real image and not over encumbering. There is however, a bit of illusion of lighting that I can't quite solve, where the far left lamp meets the curve of the tunnel entrance; is this entire pose in one building? Or one looking into another? As the curve should be a white light right? Like on the far right side (lamp) as well, but it glows orange instead but I suppose it can be argued that the bright orange behind the lamp's wall over powers it but y'know it doesn't take anything away from the image. FAB WORK.

Another great piece of work from Jimbo, I especially love the texturing that's going on as it looks like water passing over a rock surface or something. Don't take this personally but with you I can do nothing but nit pick... the fonts are GREAT but, to really take some things to the next-next level I'd suggest when repeating letters such as "Water" and "War" you should chip away at the letters yourself manually just to break the glaring "inconsistent consistency". It splits things up, makes it entirely original and just as usual with art, easy to look at. Fantastic work.

Superb lighting going on here, especially from the two spotlights either side of the vehicle exit. Just adds a natural kind of look that you cannot get in many pictures. And there's some kind of narrative involved as well like a clear reinforcement to a defence of a medical station etc etc etc. One extra detail that coulda been cool is like 2, maybe 3 tracers passing through the scene but that's just a possibility of making the scene alive y'know? Amazing pic :^).

Simple and sweet landscape width picture that should be PORTRAIT, but aside from that only one little criticism of not having the vort himself glow more green, or have the green be a bit more saturated for that matter. Aside from that it's all really quite nice. Keep it up :^).

On Ms Paint? A labour of love huh? I know how gruelling it can be to make a map like this and I hope it did not go unnoticed by others. But, as useful as useful as that key is, my one piece of feedback would be to make it more simple. Like the title could have been something like "Map of Universal State Sectors" and then just number each coloured in spot with the number over the top. Just another way of designing something such as this but it's a great piece either way. Noice.

Half finished? You coward. Regardless, great scene going on here with potential (considering your experience) to be even better! The level of edited detail here is already phenomenal. It's just missing some backing props but I know the medieval looking props are difficult to come by these days. For half finished, it's amazing, I'd implore you to finish it so it's great but maybe you're already on the next BEST thing.

Wow, what a drawing or illustration rather. With only what? 5 different core colours that make up the whole thing? I'm not much of a illustrator but here's my take; it's amazing. Besides that, the hair on either side looks little 2D or flat y'know? Like it deviates in sizes or widths in curls but never as it gets further away or further forward? maybe something to keep in mind. That's about it though, amazing, truly.

MY WINNING VOTE: @IDOTS
uprising_PS.png

Damn call this picture Keanu because it really is breath taking.

Honourable Vote for "deserves a win, but I'm scenebuild bias":
@247-0006-0001 'Jimbo' & @Cow

wJbSnlI.png

THEY_TOOK_HIS_HYDRATION.jpg
-

giphy.gif

So what have we learned today? Use portrait width and length more often you schmucks.

Great submissions this week I had fun reviewing but was super busy during monday, for the whole day tragically. Hope my output was useful and if you need me you probably have the initiative to message me. No promises on reply times though.

I'll be in a different country next monday, and if you expect me to do this you'll be sorely mistaken so it's up to one of the OTHER JUDGES, that's right there's more than JUST ME. Or nothing'll happen and it'll just be a neb farm.

Take care, xx.​

Last edited:

IDOTS

Neutrino
Nebulae
Oh wow, I'm delighted to have won, thank you!

I've enjoyed seeing all of the wonderful creativity in this thread, there are lot of very talented people in this neck of the woods.

RGB

Proton
Nebulae
Quick tip @Sad Boy

That pic's overexposed. It's extremely washed out with too much light and not enough contrast. Darken it a little, bring out those colours, and deepen the already-dark shadows to help make it pop out.

Bruzzo

8th generation bastard
Nebulae
Quick tip @Sad Boy

That pic's overexposed. It's extremely washed out with too much light and not enough contrast. Darken it a little, bring out those colours, and deepen the already-dark shadows to help make it pop out.
Quick tip @RGB

Constructive criticism that hasn't been requested is seldom appreciated.

Bruzzo

8th generation bastard
Nebulae
Not really a valid point on a thread that's literally a competition where people judge your art?
Yes. Thing is there's a difference between judging and constructive criticism. If it was a clear 'I don't like this' it would be an opinion, a judgment. But an 'I don't like it but if you do this I will' is constructive criticism. At least from a basic point of view.

But still, I never said it was wrong to do so. Just said it's often not appreciated if it isn't asked for.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Quick tip @RGB

Constructive criticism that hasn't been requested is seldom appreciated.

by posting on this thread, you request criticism

if you're not up for that, don't post art on this thread

Bruzzo

8th generation bastard
Nebulae
by posting on this thread, you request criticism

if you're not up for that, don't post art on this thread
Okay. Yes. Understood. Affirmative.

I never said that it's not allowed or that it shouldn't be expected. I said that most people don't enjoy having their work criticized.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Okay. Yes. Understood. Affirmative.

I never said that it's not allowed or that it shouldn't be expected. I said that most people don't enjoy having their work criticized.

no one forces you to take criticism

we cant force you to enjoy it even if you ask for it