Serious [Review] Art of The Week

holiday adi

黑色土人
Nebulae
no issue also that looks sick

49f4c993e2598205056c546b228f819d.jpg

Sorry, I feel bad for doing this. But, this is the last time I update my entry. This is the best one I've done so far and would much appreciate criticism based on this instead. I apologize to all the other entries that were posted prior to this. I'm just really indecisive and only want to hear what people think.

Reactions: List

Horatio

Quark
Nebulae
no issue also that looks sick
Thank you! It's always a great boost to morale for me whenever someone appreciates my work. As long as someone is happy I know I'm doing the right thing. It represents 12-hours of work. I'll take a little break before moving onto my next piece. Love your illustration work, btw. You could go far with what you've got!

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
Hello, it is officially the end of summer for me. I am back in University but I'll be making time for this obvi.
My week was okayish, hope yours was, but these submissions are really good!
I'm babbling in most of this but I try my best, let's go;

Loving the mix emotion here, and hell I may be looking too deep into it. But the lighting seems just right as it's dark but not too dark that you can make out the legs of the models but if I didn't know any better the light rays coming inside almost look like they've been added in post edit, but they're cool light rays regardless - woulda been a lot cooler if they were the same light as the sun though or that orange tint. Consistency Dudu, all about consistency, but it's still very good!

I like the increase in resolution this time, can defintely tell you gotta certain taste on how to edit BUT it is still a little bit over exposed in some parts and while I do like the edit, it is making it difficult to make out most of the picture such as the props laying around, how far and close away things are. AND I only just saw the soldier on the left after looking at it while typing this so remember; filters are good until you can't make out the image.

Funky and niche, I like it. And the lighting is pretty good as well - has that unmistakable Blade Runner orange tint as well and I feel like it could pass as a gmod wallpaper if it was zoomed in a little or something. Always liked your creativity and lighting bro and this is just a testament to that but god damn it how big is this fucking scenebuild? Or is this an illusion of depth with how far/big that ship actually is? Great stuff Piggie.

This flower girl aesthetic is really cool, I say this everytime people draw: I AM NOT GOOD AT DRAWING, but, I'll do my best. Idk if you use references or not but the faces are so so so well done to proportion which was always something I struggled with, and all the hair lines have coolio detail but my favourite amount of detail in the whole thing; is the flowers on their heads. Really cool and intricate my guy and feel like this pic captures a big flower girl aesthetic. Noice.

Love me a good bit of Dishonoured, bump that game all day long if I could now. Anyways. Super edgy linework going on here i love it but it is a bit of a stretch from a logo as its; big, and detailed with different colours and textures (but the definition of what makes a logo is subjective I suppose). Regardless logo or drawing it's class! Maybe some thicker lines along the sides of the masks for definition of the shape and stuff but the colours and such are great. Maybe next time just think what other little details to add? Or how thick should lines be for consistency?? Like I said for Cows submission, I can't draw very well, I can't give the best feedback but regardless; great work.

For your first couple of scenebuilds, these are absolutely fantastic! Good depth and scale, good detail across the board and nice snow effects... but this is a place for criticism, and my 2 pieces of criticism are: It gets very dark in some places for some reason, I.e. the side of the truck with crates in it is like pitch black compared to the rest of the scene, and that the fog comes in quite early maybe? Maybe a subjective taste of fog, great work though. The planes in the back are epic as well my guy. In conclusion, consistent lighting and weather effect tweaking. Great stuff.

Wholesome cutie foods illustration gang, great symmetry and line work with super cool colour schemes my man... things that really make it for me is the eyes, and the shine on the sides and top of the lolly AND avoiding using white as an outline, ice white is for nerds gotta go with tinted white for a better look alL the time. Great stuff bro, if someone told me this was a default option for a profile picture on Xbox I'd believe them (I think there are competitions for that kinda stuff sometimes fyi). Awesome.

MY WINNING VOTE: @Horatio
49f4c993e2598205056c546b228f819d.jpg

You cannot change my mind.

HONOURABLE VOTE FOR "Niche and cool aesthetics":
@Cow @Piggo
BQ9Za7k.png
11F4FC34ECB1E65E6DD93F64F0D3C0E8323535D9

SECOND HONOURABLE VOTE FOR "makes me happy when I look at it": @Adi
Untitled-5.png
look at that lil face...
-

giphy.gif

Another summer holiday over.
Wonder what I'll do next time? Sadness doesn't sound like a 2020 vibe.
@ me for direct feedback my guys, if not I'll see you here, same time next week. Assuming there are submissions.

Also, gonna start doing occasional (seasonal) competitions. Yes there will be actual prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places... and no; I am not prepared to discuss it further. You will just have to wait and see. First one will be Halloween, and there will be a scenario/inspiration. It being Halloween, I'm sure you can fill in the gaps. A few weeks away though so no need to get flapped about it yet so I'll do a bigger post around the time.

TTYL, X.
- Daniel.​

holiday adi

黑色土人
Nebulae
A cursed picture that caused months of art block. The beast is slain and fuck it, it’s fine
Mkso6Fl.png

That's a really great drawing! But the shadows on the left look really odd, your character has clearly visible shadows coming from the light that's present in the right corner of the picture, but the table and cabinet don't cast any shadows on the ground, also it is pretty weird that your character has shading but the actual room looks evenly lit and not a single shadow present

Inaudible™

Karl-Police Approved
Nebulae
1a7UTnM.png

I'm aware of the white line around the right side, I tried and cannot get rid of it

Elan

Proton
Nebulae

tkezsYA.png

I've not really been able to produce anything of any real quality over the past two weeks or so, so i decided to change up the style a bit. This one was pretty much done entirely in Photoshop and the smaller details were drawn in with a tablet.

holiday adi

黑色土人
Nebulae

tkezsYA.png

I've not really been able to produce anything of any real quality over the past two weeks or so, so i decided to change up the style a bit. This one was pretty much done entirely in Photoshop and the smaller details were drawn in with a tablet.

that is a very, VERY pretty work of art my friend, it looks incredible

Horatio

Quark
Nebulae
ea386ceaada71fa54858d609347c9bfe.jpg

I added censoring to avoid people from noticing the lack of facial posing. It was really difficult to nail the faces in the reference below:
Ignore the ugly skybox in the background, this took like an hour to make and it's 5am for me ;-;
d7e564351a3a213adbe3554218170cc0.png

I swear I nailed the lighting this time, I figured it out.

Picture in the pose is a Tiger, whilst the one used as a reference is a Panzer IV (Fehr) with turret skirt armor, this is most likely somewhere on the Eastern Front considering the environment and armament which the Panzer utilizes.

I'll use this as my next entry, it's not the best, in-fact I sorta 'rushed' it but this time I won't update it constantly.

Last edited:

RGB

Proton
Nebulae
That's a really great drawing! But the shadows on the left look really odd, your character has clearly visible shadows coming from the light that's present in the right corner of the picture, but the table and cabinet don't cast any shadows on the ground, also it is pretty weird that your character has shading but the actual room looks evenly lit and not a single shadow present

Yeah I figured somebody would catch that. I had twenty minutes to do all the background lines, colour, and shadow before I had to run out the house. This pic gave me so much trouble and art block that I just knew I wouldn’t be able to go back to it for touch ups. It’s something I should keep an eye on though since backgrounds are still new to me.

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
A.O.T.W S2, W22 (30.09.2019)

Hey, my week was pretty good this time. Went to this corny emo cover band gig and it was a lot of fun.
Song is not related.
lets gO!

Really enjoy the pastel texture on this one, and again the composition is really nice. Keeping it as a simple portrait on black works super well, as if it's some kind of studio reference. I'd say that the shadow on the nose is very harsh but that's it really. I can't draw, I just tell if it looks good, and it is great!!!!!!

hEY! Snap! Interesting mix of static and theatrical work here. Especially with this old timey filter over the top and the grain gives some awesome authentic vibes (+ the not so great textures behind that just look like they're out of focus because old cameras had bloody awful f-stop!!!). The bullet wounds are so subtle and dangerous as well, the curvy text makes it look like a visual death gargle as well. Much good, much wow and thoughtful gun placement!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT. Would love to see some more stuff in this style!

Clone bois, love that you used two different model skins but tbh always prefered the ice white armour. Idk why but I especially like how sharp the clone on the far left is in both pictures. Something about the way he holds the gun idk. If I could criticise ANYTHING, or add anything it would be: some blue glowy tiny on the black armour around the visors. Not a lot, just enough to acknowledge they glow a bit. GreAT poses though!!!!!

Man these are awesome perspective drawings, I like some of the top one that you included as well. I have no bad things to say so I'm gonna say good things: Love your shading and texture technique. Love the rough line work, love how you went over some things a few more times to make it more thick and depth. There's great depth perception of how far things are as well. Great great great!! Maybe try drawing outside of a classroom? I know this was an on the fly thing but maybe you'll surprise yourself!

You're absolutely right, it is fine. But it's MISSING STUFF?? Like there's just an empty room and a table but I'm guessing it's some kind of surgical room. Why not add like an extra cupboard and stuff? And your shading on individual props and characters is good but it's lacking on the walls and stuff so the ceiling to me looks like an illusion of some kind. YOu can Do ThiS!

Now this is poster design, love the masking work going on here and the matching textures that go through out the picture. You've even got the Z-Technique down of looking at the top left, to the right, and then to the lower left and right again which is used in loaaaads of posters and just helps people read it so it's like: Lambda > Rebel > Resist = GOOD DESIGN. Great work. And the font use is really cool as well, like some kind of rough stencil. Maybe if 'I' edited it my own way, I would have chipped away some of the letters and the rebel and lambda just to like make it look more ruffff, just something to consider maybe. Awesome stuff.

Fine.

The lighting is good! But! It doesn't fir the bright blue (sky) thing in the back, idk if the sky is ever that shade of blue while this bright, it's v dark but that is really my only issue with this pic. And I wouldn't worry about censoring faces bro sometimes they just don't work and it's no ones probs. Doubt it would've taken much away from this awesome pic. Very cool to use a reference as authentic as that as well though!!! So yeah only thing to learn here is consider sky colour, or whatever the strange blue is in the back.

I like how harsh the sunset is, there's a really clear idea that it's somewhere far behind car looking forward. And everything has just enough lighting to see what's going on besides the front of the car that is as dark as the vacuum of space... seems to have ran out of light there. But besides that, it's looking good Dudu!

-

MY FIRST WINNING VOTE: @Elan
tkezsYA.png

MY SECOND WINNING VOTE: @Inaudible™
1a7UTnM.png

HONOURABLE VOTES FOR "good bloody drawing":
@Cow and @Charlie

69817205_413697972617424_6804308630247047168_n.png

PSX_20190925_190623.jpg

-

giphy.gif

Great submissions guys! Hope I was useful for whatever you work on next!
You know the deal, @ me for immediate feedback or wait till monday!
Posted early because I won't be back till late, got a problem with that?
Sorry.

TTYL.
- Daniel.​