Computer Runs Terribly

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I've had my computer since 2016- I'm pretty sure I've even made one post about it at one point in the past. I purchased the computer pre built, and it came with a number of defects- shitty graphics card, chipped fan header (is that what they're called?), no wireless internet adapter, etc. etc.

Despite these issues, the computer ran fine after some fine tuning in the beginning. It wasn't until maybe October or so I started to get these issues. I run Windows 10 (will give specs later) and use a wireless internet adapter that I plug into a USB port. I've had to switch these adapters three times, but this is probably because I didn't buy the proper equipment and put my money into the cheaper and less reliable side of the spectrum. Anyways, since the start of October, my computer has been randomly restarting. I have literally never experienced this on any computer I've had, from the first I've ever used up until now. I'm clean of viruses, I pay for Malwarebytes yearly (don't rip on me for that xx). I have 598 GB left out of my 1.1 TB hardrive (mostly steam games). My case and it's insides are clean of Dust, so I've ruled that possibility out.

My resources are also being used wayyyy more then originally. I've upgraded my PC, and until October, things were good. Mostly, I was able to stay under 30% for all values. Now, however, I am normally getting over 70% in Memory and Ram usage, and normally get 100% disk space usage.

I have no idea what the issue is, here. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Host Name: ---------------
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version: 10.0.16299 N/A Build 16299
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: ------------------
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical
Graphics Card: GTX 1050 TI
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Total Physical Memory: 7.98 GB
Available Physical Memory: 3,848 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 14,318 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 8,647 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 5,671 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: ----------
Network Card(s): 3 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Connection Name: Ethernet 2
[02]: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Connection Name: Ethernet
[03]: Linksys WUSB6300
Connection Name: Wi-Fi 4
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: ------
-
Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: No
Second Level Address Translation: Yes
Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes
Some useless information deleted, some more is added. If any other information is needed let me know, I've been trying to fix this for months and I'm pretty annoyed at this point, so my bad if I'm missing anything or have extra shit in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
The FX series of CPU's has always been shit.
Check if you have any specfic programs on startup eating your memory or cpu up in task manager.

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
The FX series of CPU's has always been shit.
Check if you have any specfic programs on startup eating your memory or cpu up in task manager.

My CPU has actually served really well, so I don't believe that's the cause of it.

The biggest culprits of resource usage are Chrome (obviously), Steam, Discord, and the Malwarebytes executable itself. Even when I shut off Chrome and Discord, however, my computer still runs slow. Nothing else takes up a ridiculous amount of memory, RAM, anything. I honestly have no idea what the real issue is.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
My CPU has actually served really well, so I don't believe that's the cause of it.

The biggest culprits of resource usage are Chrome (obviously), Steam, Discord, and the Malwarebytes executable itself. Even when I shut off Chrome and Discord, however, my computer still runs slow. Nothing else takes up a ridiculous amount of memory, RAM, anything. I honestly have no idea what the real issue is.
Dunno then, might be a problem with the cooler for the CPU? idk

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
its a problem with windows 10
i've had random lockouts where i had to restart the pc and terrible screen tearing
never had this previously

M

Man wearing a helmet

Wel you better go and catch it.
lmaooooooooo

op:
hardware failure is usually the cause for your random rebooting
also, check your disk in task manager, if it's damage your computer is going to run poorly because the os is stored on there
have you purchased a power supply to compliment the new hardware you got?
does your computer overheat?

from google said:
RAM: To find out if it’s specific to hardware, download Memtest86+ ISO Image and burn it to a disk. Then boot from the disk and run Memory Diagnostic for 8 to 9 passes. It’s must be allowed to run up to 8 or 9 passes, to find out if it’s RAM that is causing the problem. Even a single error means there is something wrong with either RAM or DIMM slot. So you have to run MemTest with individual slots with individual RAM. Check the Motherboard manual and see that the voltage and timings are set correctly in the BIOS. Also check and ensure that the RAM is compatible with the board.

Hard drive: Next we have to test the Hard Drive condition. Find out the manufacturer of your Hard Drive and go to manufactures website. Most of the manufactures will have their own diagnostic tools. So run a complete diagnostic and check the stability of the Hard Drive. If you find a lot of bad sectors or error immediately start backing up your data. Then run chkdsk to see if that corrects the problem. If not, then if it is covered by warranty, send for RMA.

Overheat: One of the most common issues that cause the system instability is Overheat. To test that there are a lot of applications out there that would help you to monitor the temperatures. For example SpeedFan, HWMonitor, Open Hardware Monitor, etc. are few of them. Once you find that the system instability is caused by overheating, then if it a desktop remove the side panel and blow the dust out. Make sure you remove the CPU Fan and remove the dust as well. Also replace the thermal paste. Make sure all the fans are working properly. If it’s a Laptop then it’s best to take it to a local PC repair shop.

BIOS: Sometimes changing the settings in BIOS, like Overclocking the RAM or processor and cause instability for the system. In such cases, reset the BIOS to default settings or reset it by removing CMOS for a minute and put it back. Make sure the BIOS firmware is up to date.

Power Supply: Sometimes you might have a great system with latest board, processor, GPU, RAM etc. but to handle those, your PSU may not be powerful enough. Make sure you get one that can handle your hardware. Also, PSU failure can cause the system to act weird – unfortunately there is no easy way to test it. But sometimes you can hear loud noises from SMPS that would help you figure out if it’s the PSU that’s causing the problem.

Graphic Card: Sometimes a GPU can cause system instability. Maybe overheating or incorrect clock settings are the main causes. In such cases, there are a lot of stress test software, which you could run to check the stability of your GPU like FurMark etc. Also, a bad driver can also cause problems, so it might be a good idea to reinstall the drivers. Also, when you Overclock your GPU – check the manual.

External devices: Sometimes a faulty external device like a USB Camera, Mouse, Keyboard, Gaming control etc. can cause random reboots. It’s best to disconnect all the USB devices and see if that fixes the problem. Also, it’s best to see if you can borrow a Keyboard and mouse and see if that make any difference. Also, you could check the Event Viewer to see any information or errors about a USB device is logged there.

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
lmaooooooooo

op:
hardware failure is usually the cause for your random rebooting
also, check your disk in task manager, if it's damage your computer is going to run poorly because the os is stored on there
have you purchased a power supply to compliment the new hardware you got?
does your computer overheat?

I got a new GPU (the 1050-TI) and a new power supply (CX750M) back in July. The power supply has enough power to easily support my system. My computer used to overheat because there was an issue with the fans as I previously stated, but I've gotten around to fixing that, so it no longer overheats.

I've never messed my systems BIOS before, and the BIOS firmware is up to date and in order. I'll do some stress tests and run other diagnostics in a few hours.

Nova_

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Reseat your ram

Your computer accessing a faulty ram block can sometimes cause hard crashes/ restarts. Depending on the random allocation and order of the blocks on startup can sometimes mean no restarts for hours, or some only 30 mins after the previous restart.

Just a thought

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
To find and repair errors that are found in whatever drive, use this in the cmd prompt (press alt+r to open the run thingie, type in cmd and hit enter)

chkdsk C: /f

replace C: with D: or whatever drive you're using.

If drive repairs don't do the trick then you might have a virus sat running hidden bitcoin mining or other fun activities in the background.
For this you might need a rootkit. I run this one: https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

If neither of these work download http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ and fling me a screenshot of your temperatures etc.

Gabe

Molecule
Nebulae
To find and repair errors that are found in whatever drive, use this in the cmd prompt (press alt+r to open the run thingie, type in cmd and hit enter)

If drive repairs don't do the trick then you might have a virus sat running hidden bitcoin mining or other fun activities in the background.
For this you might need a rootkit. I run this one: https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

If neither of these work download http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ and fling me a screenshot of your temperatures etc.

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae

u1ESiMw.png

yxc62SJ.png
The temperatures seem decent?

I found no Rootkits and no internal issues using the Malwarebytes scanner provided.
My Command Prompt stated the C: drives volume was in use and it would be scanned on the next restart.

Reseat your ram

Your computer accessing a faulty ram block can sometimes cause hard crashes/ restarts. Depending on the random allocation and order of the blocks on startup can sometimes mean no restarts for hours, or some only 30 mins after the previous restart.

Just a thought

I'll try reseating my RAM right now. I'll update with the results.

On a side note, my front two USB ports and one of my back USB ports randomly stopped working. I was playing Warband with a few friends and my keyboard and Wireless Internet Adapter were disconnected. I fixed it by changing the ports, but it's still pretty annoying that they failed.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
u1ESiMw.png

yxc62SJ.png
The temperatures seem decent?
Your temperatures are fine

My Command Prompt stated the C: drives volume was in use and it would be scanned on the next restart.
You gotta run the command prompt and then restart your computer right after.

On a side note, my front two USB ports and one of my back USB ports randomly stopped working. I was playing Warband with a few friends and my keyboard and Wireless Internet Adapter were disconnected. I fixed it by changing the ports, but it's still pretty annoying that they failed.
Click on the start menu and type devmgmt.msc then hit enter.
Click the little thing next to Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand then right click and uninstall all host controllers then reboot your computer. This will force your computer to reinstall and check the software for the controllers and hopefully solve any issues if it's a software problem.

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
You gotta run the command prompt and then restart your computer right after.

I figured that out. My C: Drive had repairs made to it, but I'm not exactly sure what was repaired.

Click on the start menu and type devmgmt.msc then hit enter.
Click the little thing next to Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand then right click and uninstall all host controllers then reboot your computer. This will force your computer to reinstall and check the software for the controllers and hopefully solve any issues if it's a software problem.

This issue fixed itself.

I'll report later if the restarts still come about.

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Update:

I Reseated my RAM and waited a few hours to see if things worked.
When I went in my case, I found something that I think may have been the issue-
ukQLojz.jpg

(I use the two white/grey RAM ports are what my sticks were in) If you couldn't tell, the leftmost port was rather dusty- an obvious issue.

And, if you couldn't tell, the stick of RAM was dusty itself.
z4XB3Lq.jpg

Going into the case, I saw that the black ports were undone, and the leftmost stick of RAM was actually not very stable. After dusting off both sticks of RAM, I secured them back into place. My system has been much more stable still I fixed the sticks of RAM and it has not restarted yet. (I fixed my RAM around 11:30 P.M.- it is not 6:46 P.M.)

I'm assuming they may have been jostled around a few times during cleaning or transportation in a vehicle (I've needed to take it a few places, don't ask why).

Hopefully things will be fixed now. I'll update if the restarts keep occuring.