CPU upgrade?

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
Been looking to upgrade my CPU for a while, currently I have an i3 2120 which feels pretty sluggish at times and I don't really know where to look honestly with so many CPU's on the market.
As well as this, I'll need to upgrade my motherboard with it because my shitty? dell motherboard only supports CPU's up to an i3 2120 (I think?) or possibly up to an i5 2400 which I don't see much of point upgrading to if I can kill two birds with one stone, and thus replace both motherboard and cpu.
Any recommendations?
I was looking at this cause it seemed cheap for a bundle but idk
Was also looking at the ryzen 1400X/1500 if and when they release.

looking for something in the 150 to 250 quid range tho honestly.

Toasty

Roleplay Psychologist
Nebulae
Just buy a whole new rig, and throw out that junk you have.

xelve

Quark
Nebulae
If you have an i3 and a shitty dell motherboard I'm pretty sure upgrading everything would be best, what's your specs?

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
If you have an i3 and a shitty dell motherboard I'm pretty sure upgrading everything would be best, what's your specs?
will post speccy later
But I do know I have 8 gigs of ram (DDR?) and a GTX 960 with the motherboard and CPU linked above.
I bought it second hand for 200 quid in good nick and honestly it does perform well most of the time but I can never have anything open whilst playing games otherwise it straight up slows to a halt, and sometimes with multiple programs open it starts to slow down.
and I don't have nearly enough money to replace the entire rig, this thread is more so to help me set a goal of how much I need to save.

xelve

Quark
Nebulae
Yeah money can be a problem, I'd suggest buying what you need and then start saving up for a new rig, trust me, it's worth it if you're infront of your computer a lot. And for a new CPU I'd suggest buying a the best i5 you can find that can fit in your motherboard, i3's really aren't that good, good luck!

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Do you hate W10? Y/N

If Y stay with pre-skylake processors.
If N upgrade to skylake/kabylake

Microsoft, AMD, and Intel are no longer going to provide support for pre-W10 Windows OSs for Skylake and newer silicon chips. Other OS distributors such as MacOS and Linux will, but Windows will not.

Go with an i5, don't get an i7 unless you need the hyperthreading.

why would I, everything else in my pc is fine.
I just want to replace my cpu and motherboard

You have to replace your memory if you're upgrading to a newer motherboard and cpu unless you are sticking with whatever DDR standard you're at. We're currently at DDR4. If you're on an older i3 you're at least on DDR3.

$714~ got me a new mobo, 32GB DDR4, i7-7700K, and a heatsink+fan for the cooler. Most memory kits these days come in a 16GB dual channel kit (2x8GB) and given the increase in resource requirements for newer games, I would want 16 minimum.