Describing S2RP & P2L

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
I'm trying to describe shoot-to-roleplay and play-to-lose for an informative page on the topic of conflict roleplay, but I think there's members here that have more experience with these facets of RP, so I'm asking for criticism on what I've written:
I'm not sure that there's a strict dictionary on shoot-to-roleplay (S2RP) but it seems to be treated as a turn-based combat system where you'd describe firing your shot and where you aimed it, then fire the shot, and then it's your opponent's turn to do the same. This can be done with melee weapons too; depending on the rules it sometimes involves usage of the /roll command to see which player wins a certain struggle by chance (rolling generates a number from 1 to 100, and both players see what number they get, generally with the highest number winning), and better ensures everyone gets a turn.

Play-to-lose (P2L) is essentially the same thing (from my experience) but involves the player willingly taking hits, which can help draw out drama and ensure everyone has fun (essentially the opposite of powergaming).

#Edit:
I've written some articles on the subject.
Combat rules.
Powergaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
ive heard the two terms used interchangeably for the most part, i've never actually heard either one described differently. there's a billion different ways people run s2rp/p2l, and it varies a lot between communities. theres threads on this forum that explain what it is in a billion different ways even (boom boom boom theres more on willard but im not gonna link it here)

ive even seen 's2rp' done with made up number stats to add onto your rolls like a tabletop rpg and rolling to decide what turn you go on in the combat

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
Play-to-lose (P2L) is essentially the same thing (from my experience) but involves the player willingly taking hits, which can help draw out drama and ensure everyone has fun (essentially the opposite of powergaming).
P2L is an unfortunate name because it doesn't reflect what it means in practice
It is indeed the opposite of powergaming but neither are to be treated in a traditional sense in a text-based roleplay setting
If you look at the wikipedia page, powergaming is defined as the following:
Wikipedia said:
Powergaming (or power gaming or optimization) is a style of interacting with games or game-like systems, particularly video games, boardgames, and role-playing games, with the aim of maximizing progress towards a specific goal.
This definition can be (for us, text-based roleplayers) quite confusing, which, surprisingly enough, is indirectly mentioned later in the article:
Still wikipedia said:
In online text-based role-playing games that emphasize collaborative role-play over acquiring levels or skills, players can be described powergamers if they presume or declare that their own action against another player character is successful without giving the other player character the freedom to act on their own prerogative.
This is echoed in neb's ruleset:
HL2RP ruleset said:
Powergaming - Forcing your actions onto a another character either unfairly or without allowing a reaction (e.g stealing someone’s ration without allowing them to type something or punching someone using the fists swep.) You can avoid this by always allowing the other player to respond and always making sure you attempt to do your actions, rather than forcing them.
So, in text-based RP's case, P2L (if defined as the opposite of powergaming) merely implies that all your actions must be attempted while granting the other character sufficient space to react

There is the more literal definition of having to submit to an enemy's advantage, but with the exception of zombie characters (who have it emphasized in their ruleset that they must allow an armed opponent to win and vice-versa), extremely rarely have I seen it enforced correctly. This I believe to be a side effect of the general bias towards rebels/citizens and them being given much more leniency when they fight against CPs (of which the former are thought to be "more meaningful" characters and as such are given a chance even in a grim situation)

At the end I'll attach neb's definition of P2L; you have to take into consideration that every RP server could have their own take on combat systems (and even then what you see on paper doesn't have to reflect how it played out in practice) and it could be challenging to provide a universal definition
Ruleset again said:
Playing-to-Lose - Playing to lose is the main method of judging confrontations on the server, it’s designed to make the player with the advantage in the situation be the usual victor. (E.g If you sneak up on someone from behind to attack them, they have to play to lose due to being at a disadvantage). You can make sure you’re playing to lose correctly by responding to someone’s advantage or disadvantage.

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
7fce7c097e572633cc6d3cd1ed95ae11.png

/thread

culture2

Neutrino
Nebulae
s2rp is always the best in my opinion, it allows more detail although it takes soooooooo fucking long. s2k is fun but if you have shit frames then youre fucked

Coldflame

Proton
Premium Member
Nebulae
p2l just means whoever is more willing to toe the powergaming line wins every time

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
s2rp is always the best in my opinion, it allows more detail although it takes soooooooo fucking long. s2k is fun but if you have shit frames then youre fucked
shit frames in 2022 couldnt be me