devs and programmers - what resources do you recommend for learning gmod development? (gLua)

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
Hello,

Its been quite awhile. I hope the community is well. I wanted to reach out to see if anybody could recommend or refer me to resources on developing for garry's mod.

I know a long time ago I posed this question to alex, but I don't remember what he told me. Those were back in the kurozael/c16 days.

To pose a more specific question:

• What did you do to learn and become a better problem solver in the gLua scripting language?
  • What was your methodology of viewing other people's code and projects and learning from them?
  • What background subjects are helpful? (calculus, physics, other programming or scripting languages)

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
- Votra

Reactions: List

Revanox

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
Hm, interesting thread.

I'd recommend taking a look at games made of Lua (Yes this sounds like a duh, but I mean other Games than Gmod, in my case I looked at UAWEA, (Universe at War: Earth Assault), which uses Lua to initiate story missions in an RTS Setting, and where its way easier to learn how to actually use the language and see immediate results.)

• What did you do to learn and become a better problem solver in the gLua scripting language?
    Ask friends who are experienced at Lua, created my own Stuff, let them look over it and be given tips on how to improve.

• What was your methodology of viewing other people's code and projects and learning from them?
    What does the original Code do? Can I copy it, how hard can I modify that line of code? Can I add something to it without it breaking?
    Does it even work if I take it out of its original function? How can I improve the original line?
    All this made it easier for me to use, and create my own functions in lua (generally), and I didnt try lua in Gmod yet.

• What background subjects are helpful? (calculus, physics, other programming or scripting languages)
    Games you know, what happens at certain events (e.g.: as soon as you build a certain construction, a squad of 4 units spawn, where is that code placed and then you have a rough knowledge of what it does), other programming languages help to some degree, and sometimes algebra and mathematics too, for example angles or coordinates.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Don’t learn Lua.

I taught myself how to code when I was skipping school by starting to make websites and it spiralled. Learn a proper language like Python to get you started.

Find an existing project and try to modify it to do something else you want, when that doesn’t work as you expect, find out why and figure out how to make it work; that’s the coding cycle.

Don’t learn Lua.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Don’t learn Lua.

I taught myself how to code when I was skipping school by starting to make websites and it spiralled. Learn a proper language like Python to get you started.

Find an existing project and try to modify it to do something else you want, when that doesn’t work as you expect, find out why and figure out how to make it work; that’s the coding cycle.

Don’t learn Lua.

is Lua a bitch to work with or something?

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
is Lua a bitch to work with or something?
Pretty sure it's because outside of gmod and maybe a couple of other things, it's not that useful to know

apparently it's really easy to learn but that doesn't really matter so much if you can't use it for much

prolly other reasons to but the time is probably worth better invested in a harder, more utilized language since from my basic understanding, once you've learned a harder language, the simpler/easier ones take less time to understand

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Pretty sure it's because outside of gmod and maybe a couple of other things, it's not that useful to know

apparently it's really easy to learn but that doesn't really matter so much if you can't use it for much

prolly other reasons to but the time is probably worth better invested in a harder, more utilized language since from my basic understanding, once you've learned a harder language, the simpler/easier ones take less time to understand

oh so it's the same reason you dont learn game development on scratch