Discord now competing with Steam - Introducing the Discord Store

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
https://blog.discordapp.com/the-discord-store-beta-9a35596fdd4

Discord will now have its own game store. The blog post above explains all that will come into Discord ASAP.

What I really like is the "First on Discord" initiative which basically supports indie game developments as long as said games are released on their platforms exclusively for a period of usually 90 days. The developers are then free to release their game(s) on other platforms, such as Steam and GOG.

Reactions: List

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
c31.png

FriendlyMan

eating seeds as a pastime activity
B A N N E D
Nebulae
What I really like is the "First on Discord" initiative which basically supports indie game developments as long as said games are released on their platforms exclusively for a period of usually 90 days. The developers are then free to release their game(s) on other platforms, such as Steam and GOG.
i love forcing people to buy from a certain platform too

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
Honestly competition is only good, as it potentially pushes Steam to better itself. Also I trust Discord into not turning this into a flop.

Origin also been doing this kinda shit for ages too

EA games used to be on steam, like TS3 but now you need Origin; it's a shite platform
Other AAA publishers have their own platforms because they have enough audience to sustain it and they avoid to pay fees for every sale. It's literally the same reason the same publishers make use of their own proprietary engines.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Other AAA publishers have their own platforms because they have enough audience to sustain it and they avoid to pay fees for every sale. It's literally the same reason the same publishers make use of their own proprietary engines.
Yeah and I think it's an anti-consumer practice. Not that steam is perfect, no - steam is flawed on another scale

DRM comes to mind

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
i love forcing people to buy from a certain platform too
It's done to incentivize the use of their store. I wouldn't really rant about that as, as I said above, developers will be free to release their games elsewhere after a certain period of time.

Yeah and I think it's an anti-consumer practice. Not that steam is perfect, no - steam is flawed on another scale

DRM comes to mind
That's exactly the reason: they want more profit. Who cares about the greasy fat consumers anyway? Let's destroy our own games' performance because of our shitty MULTIPLE LAYERS OF DRM's.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
That's exactly the reason: they want more profit. Who cares about the greasy fat consumers anyway? Let's destroy our own games' performance because of our shitty MULTIPLE LAYERS OF DRM's.

Great video on this topic