[Discussion] State of the server

Zeenz

Nucleus
Premium Member
Nebulae
Relax, those threads/posts you made (the ones I even asked for details on) aren't being ignored. But you may underestimate how much time it takes to properly go through all of them, figure out which ones would potentially upset balance and how to properly implement others. If we do that wrong there's no easy way to immediately correct it when trouble arises. It's not just a matter of adding everything mentioned as an end-all solution since it always has to be properly looked at.

What do you mean by this?

Here's the thing. I keep saying "civilians are a secondary faction" because at the start (I'm not talking about the s2k inserts) we had a relatively large influx of HL2RP "mains" that somehow expected there to be in-depth citizen systems with deep roleplay almost as if the military element would take a backseat. The server has been announced as the return to form (which so many people begged for during Stasiland, you know, the roleplay version of ww3rp that nobody played anymore because they felt it wasn't ww3rp) of a relatively semi-serious environment with two whitelist-free army factions and some added stuff.

I feel as if there's still a chunk of people that want to see ww3rp at least partially fill some void left by the closing of hl2rp, and I don't think that's something we should do as we have really poor experiences with creating these sorts of hybrids as it'll always alienate some other group or cause people to get upset by either the lack of roleplay or the server being too restrictive towards s2k-heavy players.
A little communication could go a long way then, as I know its not just me and the citizen groups who feel like they get told nothing. Just a quick PSA or " I am reading this " ect will do a lot of good.

Roosebud

Administrator
Head Staff
WW3 RP Server Director
Nebulae
This makes sense, and obviously a citizen faction should never dwarf or out-shine the main focus which are NATO and Coalition - but they should be granted greater opportunities and a chance to carve their own stories and place in the lore, assuming they put the effort in.

Zeenz's suggestions are a good start towards that and letting citizen players have more fun and feel more involved, but as you said, that takes time to implement.
And that's fine, but as I mentioned corrections to playstyles take time as people also need to get used to them. For example people got so used to playing militants with EXTREMELY easy access to top-tier weaponry they skyrocketed way beyond the path we had in mind for civ players. This in turn meant people got lazy in doing it and working on building trust with factions etc over a longer period of time (since they could just randomly walk up to a gate, say they're a good boy and get a gun + ammo), and they felt like their toys were being taken away while we were essentially correcting things to make the entire civilian experience require more investment in a character.

Reactions: List

Roosebud

Administrator
Head Staff
WW3 RP Server Director
Nebulae
A little communication could go a long way then, as I know its not just me and the citizen groups who feel like they get told nothing. Just a quick PSA or " I am reading this " ect will do a lot of good.
I normally do that but I'm too busy right now + there's other matters that require my attention first and foremost. I think it'll be taken into consideration in a large civilian system/rule reform anyways.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
This, Citizens didn't shoot ( after the ban wave ) at nato just because, it was due to RP reasons, the week after they shot at COALs for breaking the accords. But again we are just s2k faction even though... we hardly s2k?

Tbf some of the worst offenders who weren't banned kept S2King and kept complaining when they weren't being interacted with or, on the reverse side, wondering why people (especially NATO) were getting annoyed at them on the forums and mocked them for complaining.

When civies can run up and toss a Molotov at your gate or suicide bomb you for standing around trying to interact with them, people are naturally not going to bother with interacting as much. You can't sort that IC. Like Roose said, attacks were getting obscenely common to the point it was obstructive, and any time both sides went out to make RP amidst the shooty-shooty they'd get capped so stopped bothering.

Like, I get it, but for every example of the Diodorna camp that gives RP and actually gives cool shit (props on that btw) you had 12 examples of throwaway "I can't just run out and shoot soldiers constantly without them complaining" from day one, even when that level of frustration just isn't sustainable for the server.

Zeenz

Nucleus
Premium Member
Nebulae
Tbf some of the worst offenders who weren't banned kept S2King and kept complaining when they weren't being interacted with or, on the reverse side, wondering why people (especially NATO) were getting annoyed at them on the forums and mocked them for complaining.

When civies can run up and toss a Molotov at your gate or suicide bomb you for standing around trying to interact with them, people are naturally not going to bother with interacting as much. You can't sort that IC. Like Roose said, attacks were getting obscenely common to the point it was obstructive, and any time both sides went out to make RP amidst the shooty-shooty they'd get capped so stopped bothering.

Like, I get it, but for every example of the Diodorna camp that gives RP and actually gives cool shit (props on that btw) you had 12 examples of throwaway "I can't just run out and shoot soldiers constantly without them complaining" from day one, even when that level of frustration just isn't sustainable for the server.
Ik thats why I tried to show that all the nerfs ect are good because it got rid of the s2k throwaways as thats not what we want in the faction

Mendel

Aboriginal Indigenous American
WW3 RP Administrator
Nebulae
was finally able to play on coalition since getting co-lead, hope everyone enjoyed themselves
unknown.png

DesertedCake

Proton
Nebulae
I'm not sure if the citizen faction is supposed to play any role between the two coalitions but it's super stale. Besides looting or exploring the map, I couldn't find much to do. It would be nice to see citizens form a community and make the spawn more appealing to be around. Perhaps specialized shops ran by players rent-free, policed occasionally by either coalition.

avralwobniar

Nucleus
Nebulae
I'm not sure if the citizen faction is supposed to play any role between the two coalitions but it's super stale. Besides looting or exploring the map, I couldn't find much to do. It would be nice to see citizens form a community and make the spawn more appealing to be around. Perhaps specialized shops ran by players rent-free, policed occasionally by either coalition.
that was on the old map but since citizens dont get any of it handed to them like the two military factions, they have to do it themselves

Zeenz

Nucleus
Premium Member
Nebulae
that was on the old map but since citizens dont get any of it handed to them like the two military factions, they have to do it themselves
There is a community it’s just we went off early, it’s at the refugee center and there’s 4 groups semi formed into a community

LykosNychi

Nucleus
Nebulae
I'm just gonna state why I stopped playing so quickly:

I went through the char auths process to get a neat NATO enlisted with a prior service record, history of infractions, prior traumas and fears related to events in TF:E, and even some things that would be on record with with Coalition forces from prior soviet detainment. The next step was to work with NATO faction leadership and get the prior record sorted out so CO's could roleplay knowing certain things about the character and treat them differently, including harsher punishments and more scrutiny. OPSEC would also be able to see/access the prior infraction history, etcetera. Then I'd talk to Coalition leadership.

Never got past the stage of talking to NATO leadership. It took seven days and my eventual PMing of one person to get a response the next day, on the eighth day.

Then I was instructed to add co-leads. Only one responded. I answered their questions and... That was 13 days ago. Eventually I just petered out on trying to roleplay that character with the auths hanging in limbo despite already being accepted. Alongside that, I just got tired of being firebombed every couple hours, or domed from the very edge of visible sightlines.

Even applied to become a medic and then realized the medics were completely useless because despite the senior medic perms stating you can treat people on the field, rules forbid it.

Edit: Spellling

Last edited: