Serious Does being staff ruin/hinder your RP experience?

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by Rogue Synapse, Jun 28, 2020 at 6:54 PM.

?

Does being staff ruin/hinder your RP experience?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Prophet of Difference
    Media Developer Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I've spoken with a lot of people across many different servers (some even on neb) and they tend to say that once you become a staff member, it's hard to enjoy rping anymore. Seeing behind the curtains, having so much power, and being stressed out with having to deal with the less than favorable aspects of server management, it's easy to see how this could happen. Every server I ever ran I couldn't bring myself to make a character and actually get into the thick of it with RP, no matter how hard I tried. What do you guys think?

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  2. Blackquill

Blackquill Administrator
    Head Staff HL2 RP Server Director

Nebulae:
    I would say there's a few key factors:

Your rank/how many responsiblities you hold (Staff is just one there's also faction leaderships and SA roles etc)
    How long you've been staff in comparison to how long you've been a player
    The timeframe you were made staff (During a big event, during big drama or in a calmer period and so on)

• nebulous nebulous x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Oxy[Morons]

Nebulae:
    it always actually helped mine. during the long tenure i had vs the long time i wasnt staff, i had much better rp as staff in general. ive come to the conclusion that because i was able to fill the many voids of boring stages where no rp was going on, or none that i could get in on, with staffing, and doing that made me stay on the server to catch the odd big server happening or two that ended up resulting in a lot of fun for me.

kind of weird, cant really play gmod servers without being staff it seems, because i end up just disconnecting when im bored instead of going into observer and doing the regular staff duties to fill my time

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  4. Subeh

Subeh local car man
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Having been staff for two years I honestly have to say; no, it didn't change negatively for me. It definitely changed, but not negatively.

If anything the largest difference was people suddenly sucking up to my characters more, especially when I got SA; people inherently seem to believe that if you're nice to a staff member IC you're gonna get shit lol

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  5. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    I think to a degree my RP was impacted, yeah. I'm going to be as blunt as I can; you very quickly find out a lot of people talk one way on the forums or server while acting an entirely different way when you get them in private. That to me is the biggest impact being a member of staff can have on you and it can really fuck with your perception of not only people you consider good people but also just you doing your staff duties.

This was especially true before Helix when stuff like RebelRP was very much about who you knew and how much they trusted you; the number of PK's and other shady shit that went on between players or even amongst staff at one point or another was staggering. Like @Subeh said when you get to SA (or above) people suck up to you and try to get in good so you'll do shit for you or in the hope you'll cover for them doing something they shouldn't do.

As a player there's stuff you just have no way of seeing unless you're in those circles, as staff you can see almost anything you want and that isn't always a nice thing.

It got to the point - and still does - I'd look at who was doing the PK and I had a pretty good idea whether or not it was OOCly orchestrated or not. There's people in the community I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them when it came to the server because I just knew what they tried to hide.

I wouldn't give my time up as staff for anything though.

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  6. Isuckatgaming

Isuckatgaming Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Normal staff? No, not really, except when the server is almost full or an event is happening. This one also kinda depends on how seriously you take it obviously, and sometimes if there's enough people flagged on their staff characters you can be a little bit indulgent and just play normally for a while. Not really a big of a hindrance. However I will say that before we got scrolling chat boxes it was a nightmare RPing with several people because things went by fast and then you had to use the console to check what they said, which you don't wanna do cause you might gain information you're not supposed to (it also takes you out of the moment seeing 10 different people whispering but i digress).

Also it helped that when there was no RP going on you could flag on your staff char and just chill until a request or PM came in.

SA? Yeah, kinda.

As an SA you're constantly PM'ed on server and forums, constantly steam messaged and people think you can do everything (which you largely can). This means that even when you're not playing on the server people go out of their way to contact you because they want help. However I must be clear that by the time I got SA I didn't really play much on the server outside of purely SA duties, so some people might have different experiences concerning this.

Didn't help that I was character authorization either. Shit really fucking sucks man. Never again. Beats doing anything appeal related though.

However I must admit that my brief tenure as operator in the Helix era was kinda disruptive, considering I had to relearn a lot of things and was largely out of touch with the culture and people of the server at the time. Also didn't help that I lost my footing when it comes to doing normal RP, but this is less due to the staff role itself and more about me as a person.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  7. Snowl

Snowl `impulse-approved
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    you should add a maybe, but im not 100% positive option

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac rob-approved!

Nebulae:
    Make me staff and I'll happily answer this after some experience

e: lemme check how long my marathon of running has been...

e2: coming up on a long time. I think 14 months

#8 Pyromaniac, Jun 28, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    • nebulous nebulous x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Nov

Nov Atom
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    no
    only exception is big events and or directly-after-event times
    other than that its smooth sailing on my side

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  10. Subeh

Subeh local car man
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    i think it depends more upon what that staff member does, rather than the rank itself

@Nov is a quieter SA who just tends to do his job and stick to his little corner, so he may not face the same changes as a more eccentric or outgoing staff member

• Agree Agree x 4
    • nebulous nebulous x 2
  11. Smallfries

Smallfries [adjective/insult]fries

Nebulae:
    Yes

at this point I can’t rp in a vacuum, I can only do stuff if it serves other players (Chancellor/dispatch/OTA/prossy/my role in UM) or if I’m with a group of people I know and trust to rp with in small scenarios

otherwise staff duties and faction responsibilities suck up all my time energy and creativity

• nebulous nebulous x 7
  12. NightLock

NightLock Nooblet

Nebulae:
    When I was staff, I think it just gave me a lot more stuff to do when it was quiet, I enjoyed having all that stuff to do honestly during the inbetween hours when it was not very busy at all.

I don't think it negatively or positively affected my RP at all, I still found it fun to RP and stuff but I just had a few extra jobs to do on top of that. Honestly I really enjoyed my time as staff and only quit since I got super busy with other stuff, even though I was my introverted self and didn't do all that much. I'd maybe even join again at some point since I enjoyed it

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  13. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Also yeah a big part of it is what you do with the playerbase.

God forbid they dislike you for some reason as staff; you're not gonna have very much fun.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. WeakenedHen5

WeakenedHen5 Molecule
    WW3 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    Just ban them 4head

• nebulous nebulous x 8
  15. Smallfries

Nebulae:
    Based

• nebulous nebulous x 8
  16. Ond

Ond Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Anything Operator/Admin is fine, nothing really changes. You're mostly still just a player that has the privileges to ban players and look through logs, but as an SA it changes what you do and who you're around since most SAs run factions/assist with OOC stuff. It's a lot more managerial than you'd think, and for me personally, made RP take a backseat.

Dealing with people to such an extent as you do as an SA, for me, took all will to RP from me lol. The only "way" I added to RP was by building event sets, playing event characters and playing "minor" roles in rebelRP. Never really wanted the limelight because it put me off of RP so much otherwise.

Knowing how everything works, who runs what, how they run said things, and who plays who ruins the fun for me. Once the mystery is gone, you can't do anything about it. Not to say I didn't enjoy my time as SA/Staff, but not knowing what goes on behind the scenes and the way things really work was way more fun.

That's also why I make an effort to not go on TS/Talk to people OOC'ly about what goes on when I go on the server now, it's an entirely fresh start so I keep entirely to myself

There's being staff, and then there's being an adm*n

• nebulous nebulous x 13
  17. dallahan

dallahan a bad memer

Nebulae:
    being in staff gave me knowledge about things that otherwise should've remained hidden (how cops work, ota, dispatch, cab etc.)

i always imagined that if the information i got didn't exist, i probably would've had more fun in my ~6 years of playing on the server

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  18. Smallfries

Nebulae:
    Fuck admins

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  19. dallahan

dallahan a bad memer

Nebulae:
    all adm*ns are ________

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  20. Ond

Ond Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    You can be a dickhead without being an admin, but you can't be an adm*n without being a dickhead

• nebulous nebulous x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice