Dr. Breen in Half-Life

Poxier

Neutrino
Nebulae
I've been wondering that could've Dr. Breen been replaced in the highly hypothetical event of him getting assassinated, before Gordon Freeman's return? We know that he's the head of Combine occupation on Earth, but he lacks any REAL power in the grand scheme of things, effectively acting as a puppet for the Combine. He's been given some practical authority however, stuff such as organizing the Union rule on Earth and controlling it without further involvement from the majority of the Combine forces. He's also the main communication link between Earth and the rest of the off-world forces.

It is known that the Combine are specially interested in the teleportation technology which humans have developed. Breen is the one who's actively driving the search for this technology and bargaining with the Combine at the same time. This doesn't really grant him any immunity however, as he himself doesn't have any important information regarding it. If he was taken out, someone else could've just continued leading the search.

I've come to the conclusion that if Breen was assassinated, it wouldn't have had that big of an impact on anything. It would've most likely made things disorganized before the replacement was found, but without any proper follow-up (such as an uprising), nothing would've really changed. It was important in Half-Life 2 as the aforementioned uprising had already begun and not to mention that you actually damage the citadel, which was one of the only connections the world had with the rest of the Union. (Was about to write that you destroy it, but the link isn't completely destroyed before the end of episode 2, however its functions were hindered, giving more time for the resistance.)

I'd like to hear your take on this. Did I perhaps miss something important? Could've the "mysterious employers" affected Breen's significance? I didn't really write about that aspect as their relations are mostly unknown, with the only information being that Breen is aware of them and could /possibly/ be in a position comparable to the G-Man's.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2994

Well, if I remember correctly, Breen was the one who negotiated peace with the Union in Half Life 2. If he was assassinated before Half Life 2 started, but after the 7-hour war, the earth would've lost the main negotiater between the two planets.

He also continues to negotiate for the saftey of the planet even during HL2, where he is talking about how he was "pleading with the benafactors" for another chance to kill Gordan. Also, he seems to be of some importance, since it is theorised that he was able to be transferred into a host advisor (as suggested in half life 2 epsiode 1)

Poxier

Neutrino
Nebulae
Well, if I remember correctly, Breen was the one who negotiated peace with the Union in Half Life 2. If he was assassinated before Half Life 2 started, but after the 7-hour war, the earth would've lost the main negotiater between the two planets.

He also continues to negotiate for the saftey of the planet even during HL2, where he is talking about how he was "pleading with the benafactors" for another chance to kill Gordan. Also, he seems to be of some importance, since it is theorised that he was able to be transferred into a host advisor (as suggested in half life 2 epsiode 1)

That is very true. Breen did indeed negotiate for peace, and most likely believed in his cause even after he was declared the ruler of the Earth. It could be that humans would've had it far worse if he was indeed killed during or after the Seven Hour War. But then again, the Combine were most likely after the teleportation technology mankind had developed, so they most likely didn't want to annihilate humans completely. But a fair point nevertheless, humans could've had it worse if he was taken out, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was irreplaceable.

The fact that he was going to get transferred to a host body at the end of HL2 suggests indeed that he had some significance to the Combine, and they wanted to keep him alive. The question is why exactly they wanted him alive? Could it be that the Combine were somehow involved with the mysterious employers and that they had made a deal of some sort? I don't really see any other reason for keeping him alive at that point. And when he was discussing teleportation as a method of escape with the advisor, the host-body idea was clearly the advisor's initiative as Breen was taken by surprise, but he agreed to it as he seemingly had no other options.

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae
That is very true. Breen did indeed negotiate for peace, and most likely believed in his cause even after he was declared the ruler of the Earth. It could be that humans would've had it far worse if he was indeed killed during or after the Seven Hour War. But then again, the Combine were most likely after the teleportation technology mankind had developed, so they most likely didn't want to annihilate humans completely. But a fair point nevertheless, humans could've had it worse if he was taken out, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was irreplaceable.

The fact that he was going to get transferred to a host body at the end of HL2 suggests indeed that he had some significance to the Combine, and they wanted to keep him alive. The question is why exactly they wanted him alive? Could it be that the Combine were somehow involved with the mysterious employers and that they had made a deal of some sort? I don't really see any other reason for keeping him alive at that point. And when he was discussing teleportation as a method of escape with the advisor, the host-body idea was clearly the advisor's initiative as Breen was taken by surprise, but he agreed to it as he seemingly had no other options.

Has everyone forgotten about Breengrub Twitter Posts?
https://mobile.twitter.com/breengrub

If anything. What I think, "Breen" is "alive" in the advisor's larvae state (remember advisors are actually being manipulated by the Combine). I believe that Gman is an Advisor that is trying to destroy the efforts of the Combine.

Poxier

Neutrino
Nebulae
Has everyone forgotten about Breengrub Twitter Posts?
https://mobile.twitter.com/breengrub

If anything. What I think, "Breen" is "alive" in the advisor's larvae state (remember advisors are actually being manipulated by the Combine). I believe that Gman is an Advisor that is trying to destroy the efforts of the Combine.
It is usually considered that Breengrub's Twitter posts are non-canonical, but yes, it is still possible that Breen made it and resides now in a host body. I don't know about the part where you said that advisors are being manipulated by the combine. If my memory serves me correctly, the Combine and advisors made a deal of some sort where Combine provided them with life-supporting equipment as they had gotten into a state where they weren't really able to support themselves anymore. In return the advisors then joined the Combine and became one of the members in charge. This might've however been just another theory about their origin, but it does make sense. They're clearly in charge of the Combine on Earth, indicated many times throughout the games, and the fact that they need life support further supports the theory.
I believe that Gman is an Advisor that is trying to destroy the efforts of the Combine.
And what comes to this, could you elaborate? This sounds like some crazy Illuminati level shit. Should I go get my tin foil hat?

Edit: Giving that last thing some thought, yes, G-Man seems to be against the Combine's efforts, deploying Freeman and everything, BUT I think he might've done it to achieve something else. If you think about it, why would the vorts rescue Freeman if G-Man was genuinely after the same goal as them. The vortigaunts must've sensed his malicious intentions and that's why they stepped in at the end of HL2. (and the claim that G-Man is an advisor still sounds like I'd need to take some mind expanding pills before I'd understand that.)

Last edited:

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae
It is usually considered that Breengrub's Twitter posts are non-canonical, but yes, it is still possible that Breen made it and resides now in a host body. I don't know about the part where you said that advisors are being manipulated by the combine. If my memory serves me correctly, the Combine and advisors made a deal of some sort where Combine provided them with life-supporting equipment as they had gotten into a state where they weren't really able to support themselves anymore. In return the advisors then joined the Combine and became one of the members in charge. This might've however been just another theory about their origin, but it does make sense. They're clearly in charge of the Combine on Earth, indicated many times throughout the games, and the fact that they need life support further supports the theory.
And what comes to this, could you elaborate? This sounds like some crazy Illuminati level shit. Should I go get my tin foil hat?

So, my theory about Gman is primarily based upon Breengrub's post as speculative canon. Still, even without its presence it would not be farfetched to think that Gman could potentially be an ESP entity that can shapeshift or pass through realities unbeknownst to humans.

When Gman talks about his "employers" he may just be using human terminology that would be adequate enough (not completely precise though) to describe "owners" of his enslaved race.

In fact, a lot of Gman's mannerisms and even visage seems to be much like an alien looking into and attempting to emulate human interaction (business man, suit/tie/briefcase, sharp terminology) in the most diplomatic fashion - business.

The darkerside yet, it would also not be farfetched to believe that gman's employer may even benefits from conquest. Much like a large chain company absorbs other smaller companies; a large species may want to absorb smaller species.

It may be that the Combine and Advisors did in fact make a business deal, but how much of it was mutual, how much of it was of it due to sordid manipulation? Would the combine initiate a plan to secretly make Advisors "a deal they cannot refuse"? Probably, they are not the type to let a valuable asset go, especially to something such as knowledge that would allow the autonomy of a potential competitor (one needless to say a powerful competitor).

Species are not always a hive mind or accepting of a singular ideal. Certainly, there are Advisors who conspire (ehm, inspire) with the Combine. Just as so Humans conspire with Combine others are less amiable.

The more and more I think about it, the less I find it to be odd to believe Gman to be an Advisor (or Advisor-esque entity). As far as we know Vortigaunts and Advisors have perverse powers and we are unknown to their strick alliegences.

Reactions: List

Poxier

Neutrino
Nebulae
So, my theory about Gman is primarily based upon Breengrub's post as speculative canon. Still, even without its presence it would not be farfetched to think that Gman could potentially be an ESP entity that can shapeshift or pass through realities unbeknownst to humans.

When Gman talks about his "employers" he may just be using human terminology that would be adequate enough (not completely precise though) to describe "owners" of his enslaved race.

In fact, a lot of Gman's mannerisms and even visage seems to be much like an alien looking into and attempting to emulate human interaction (business man, suit/tie/briefcase, sharp terminology) in the most diplomatic fashion - business.

The darkerside yet, it would also not be farfetched to believe that gman's employer may even benefits from conquest. Much like a large chain company absorbs other smaller companies; a large species may want to absorb smaller species.

It may be that the Combine and Advisors did in fact make a business deal, but how much of it was mutual, how much of it was of it due to sordid manipulation? Would the combine initiate a plan to secretly make Advisors "a deal they cannot refuse"? Probably, they are not the type to let a valuable asset go, especially to something such as knowledge that would allow the autonomy of a potential competitor (one needless to say a powerful competitor).

Species are not always a hive mind or accepting of a singular ideal. Certainly, there are Advisors who conspire (ehm, inspire) with the Combine. Just as so Humans conspire with Combine others are less amiable.

The more and more I think about it, the less I find it to be odd to believe Gman to be an Advisor (or Advisor-esque entity). As far as we know Vortigaunts and Advisors have perverse powers and we are unknown to their strick alliegences.
Very nice insight into things. Yes, G-Man is definitely something else than human, and he is definitely working under someone's supervision. But I don't really think he's an advisor due to the way he handles things (putting people into stasis for various reasons and whatnot). Doesn't really matter what he is, but I don't personally think we know who he works for. I've always had the picture that he (or his "employers/owners") are working towards something much grander than than the Combine or anything that has happened. The previous events (such as resonance cascade) were all just minor details in their plan. We just don't know what that plan is. But like I said, you have a different and an interesting view of things.

But then again, none of this really answers the question regarding Breen's importance, which seems to be a complete mystery.