Serious EARN IT Act

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by OneClassyBanana, Mar 20, 2020.

1. big chungus

big chungus Nucleus

Nebulae:
    first it was terrorists now its paedophiles, one boogeyman after the other.

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. Zak

Zak Resident xenophile
    Developer

Nebulae:
    the post-9/11 world is kinda fucked, people got the taste for that sweet sweet defense contractor money

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. DemonElite

DemonElite Atom

Nebulae:
    Are you shocked?

4. aperson

aperson Molecule

Nebulae:
    haha bro just let us collect your data we won't do anything bad with it haha

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Zak

Zak Resident xenophile
    Developer

Nebulae:
    I WANT MY GUNS AND I WANT MY PRIVACY DAMMIT

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DemonElite

DemonElite Atom

Nebulae:
    i want my guns to defend my privacy to have gay sex and smoke weed god damn it this is AMERICA

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tyrone

Tyrone DreadPirateRoberts approved
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    You know it's gonna be bad when one of the core arguments is "think of the children"

Fuck pedos

Going after the rest of the populace for despicable acts committed by peabrain pedophiles isn't the way to go

Why don't we just line up all pedophiles and shoot them dead in Minecraft Realms

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Matty

Matty Proton

Nebulae:
    I mean yeah, they're def doing it.
    Just they're not doing it legally, and while it sounds silly, I'd rather it was kept as an illegal practice.

9. Goatson

Goatson Guardian

Nebulae:
    yea i agree
    the thing is they have been trying to make it legal for years, they were gonna do it eventually anyways and there was nothing to stop it anyways
    because they refuse to understand the technology behind it

10. peter10 a wesome

peter10 a wesome Neutrino
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    nothing to stop it?
    remember PIPA, SOPA, ACTA, FOSTA?

"hey we need to find an excuse to finally pass a bill to wiretap everyone... hey let's just mention it's to contrast child exploitation online. No one will bat an eye and if so, you're a pedophile and you got something to hide! Bomboclaat!"

that's basically what happened imho
    banter aside, i don't think people realize how important standing for your privacy is.
    If you don't want people to look at you while you're chillin with a newspaper on the toilet, you aswell shouldn't want people to be able to look up to everything you do online, and that's not necessarily because you have something to hide. And then again having something to hide doesn't necessarily mean you are breaking a law or doing something evil.
    The situation is already pretty bad, has it ever happened to you to look up something, or maybe just talking about something to someone and then see advertisement about such thing everywhere?

Reading more articles about this, I noticed how they mention removing direct messages from big tech applications such as snapchat, instagram, etc. because children could be endangered.

I think this is just the classic "teach your kids how to use the net responsibly" bullshit.

I'm once again going to say, that the priority in my opinion is to actively crack down and hunt the people who abuse children and produce the material, because these are the people who are really harming children to a point of no return.

Any smart first world American child should just be taught how to recognize dangers online and refuse to talk to people being explicit in direct messages. These are just greasy hair weirdos locked in their basement desperately trying to lure kids online. Having these losers as a scapegoat for such an important bill makes me laugh. While they are people that need to be locked up aswell, they are (again, in my opinion) way less dangerous people than the ones who are really harming kids.

#50 peter10 a wesome, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Goatson

Goatson Guardian

Nebulae:
    mate i know how important privacy is i fucken work with it and specifically how to crack it, its why i physically cant go into more detail on my opinions on it

ive always been one of the strongest proponents of privacy on this forum which people whove been here longer know

the simple fact is different international governments already have and will always pursue a way to decrease your privacy
    in fact everything we are writing here and now is probably being watched and logged by a bot somewhere in the world already

you dont need to preach to me

12. peter10 a wesome

B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    ok, so assuming you do know what you're talking about, I guess you should also know how international law and bureaucracy works.

What's gonna stop me, citizen of a country with no data retention law, to buy a server in another country, store logs on /dev/null and keep doing whatever i want while being proxified behind that server?

These bills are undeniably useless.

13. Goatson

Goatson Guardian

Nebulae:
    nothing directly
    except if you want to operate within countries with retention laws legally you need to follow their laws
    however that is the exact problem, its like youre refusing to see what im saying when were on the exact same side of the argument
    i agree that its bad, but its also inevitable
    there is literally nill, zero, zip, nada you can do to prevent your privacy from being breached daily in some capacity

why do you think i refuse to mention what specific areas i work with and who for on the internet period?

14. peter10 a wesome

B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    yeah, we do are on the same side of the argument.
    However we're spacing into a little broader topic, the internet privacy one.

Me, you, and I think anyone else can agree on the fact there's is nothing we can do to prevent our privacies from being breached, although there is a little line to draw between the internet as we know of now - and an internet with backdoors everywhere, without encryption, no direct messages...

As I said, we are already getting tapped and it's bad enough, why worsen it way more? This is why I think people should stand up for their digital rights, instead of accepting the fact we're continuosly getting violated and it just can't stop getting worse, because you know aswell that's not true. Internet is one of the few things left managed by the people, and it's important to try and do your best to keep it the way it is.

and yeah i can already guess where you work without having to tell me for the third time

15. Goatson

Goatson Guardian

Nebulae:
    yeah no i actively parttake in politics on the side mostly for the sake of preventing legislation that further breaches the common man's privacy
    backdoors are literally the worst thing imaginable and ill never ever let legislature like that pass and will fight it
    but the reason i aint arguing against it is because it also literally helps my work in so many ways, which is telling enough of why its horrible
    its kinda fucked up ngl but hey what do

16. '77 East

'77 East Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    remember turnbull and the gang pushed that encryption backdoor measure on us

every record of what we do and post online is probably fed through 20+ filters and mined to death by bots
    Merged:
    32+ terabytes per day of data sinkholed in the U.K alone, and that was in '12.

by now it's probably reached a peak where it's close to rivaling storage like amazon's S3 system

#56 '77 East, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matty

Matty Proton

Nebulae:
    Just gonna add this.

Entirely just my guess but if this EARN IT Act goes through, it'll give the US more ammunition against VPN Services under the argument that it's 'Blatantly allowing protection of Child Predators & Criminals' or something or other.

18. peter10 a wesome

B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    I would just use a VPN outside the 5 eyes alliance anyways.

I just automatically assume countries like US already have wiretapping devices installed into internet exchange nodes.

19. jb

jb Molecule

Nebulae:
    https://sylviagarcia.house.gov/medi...d-ann-wagner-introduce-bipartisan-earn-it-act

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice