Information End of YouTube?

swagile

Atom
Nebulae

I am sure most of you have seen this even if you browse YouTube once a week considering this has been debated for quite a while by several popular YouTubers. Most opinions deviate to the fact that Social Justice Warriors will have a field day with these new "Heros" program by mass flagging people they hate.

Discuss.

Reactions: List

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I'm sure the youtubers who rake in the most cash will be protected.

Tough shit for anyone else though. I fear for youtubers like DSP who are notorious for getting themselves striked, falsely or not.

scrubmcnoob

Human Resource
Nebulae
i feel like youtube takes any idea there is and just puts it into a giant barrel and will, without question, start making that idea happen if they pull it out of the barrel.
why don't they ever just use community feedback...

swagile

Atom
Nebulae

Tough shit for anyone else though. I fear for youtubers like DSP who are notorious for getting themselves striked, falsely or not.

Thing is, this isn't the case. There have already been de-monetization of some of the most popular YouTubers already before the Hero's program came out because of YouTube's bot system that flagged their video's. These are people with 1 million + subs, btw.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
why don't they ever just use community feedback...
I mean this is google we're talking about here.

I'm sure you can reach a point where you've got so much money you don't really need to give a shit
[doublepost=1474665863][/doublepost]
Thing is, this isn't the case. There have already been de-monetization of some of the most popular YouTubers already before the Hero's program came out because of YouTube's bot system that flagged their video's. These are people with 1 million + subs, btw.
I think that was for the advertisers thing wasn't it? Nothing to do with flagging as far as I know.

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
I mean this is google we're talking about here.

I'm sure you can reach a point where you've got so much money you don't really need to give a shit
[doublepost=1474665863][/doublepost]
I think that was for the advertisers thing wasn't it? Nothing to do with flagging as far as I know.

They were flagged for harmful content, which de-monetized them as their videos were now seen as "adult", hence advertisers had to flag their ads as "adult" or else the YouTuber creator would make 90% less money from ad revenue.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

I don't think Google has ever made profits with Youtube.

Also.

a1042c0848d222519c5faec211bb99c5.png

scrubmcnoob

Human Resource
Nebulae
This is even a bigger mistake than putting together that Proudtobe video on youtube spotlight.

Frostwind

userTitle
Nebulae
I don't believe YouTube will necessarily die, but the people who actually do YouTube for a living will be utterly fucked up the ass, because a small amount of videos being demonetized is a significant decrease to their income, unless they do have a rather large amount of videos, but the decrease is still noticeable. It might cause them to stop making content for the time being until YouTube fixes itself up and realizes what they have done, but the new rules they put into effect basically marks almost all videos on YouTube as being bannable, and scare people off from putting new videos up.

Maybe for some reason it is the secret goal of YouTube to discourage putting more content up? But that would be pretty stupid, because all google related sites would probably decrease in activity as well (At least in my opinion). I don't think they will keep this up for long since YouTube is the most recognized site made by google, but hell if I know that. Let's just sit back and enjoy the view.

Aziatsky

Proton
Nebulae
youtube has been losing money for a long time. they need to pander to the advertisers to make money. they don't give a shit about the community.

Joe Thompson

Electron
Nebulae
Another idiotic idea from youtube, I don't think this will cause the end of youtube but if they keep creating idiotic systems that can easily be abused with no fix to the other issues (Like the Copyright System) I do think that will cause many people to just say "Fuck it" and either leave the video making business or create/join a different website.

flyboi_

String
Nebulae
Watch NerdCubed's video on this topic. Provides a somewhat different perspective on this issue.

In my personal opinion I reckon this is a completely and utterly stupid business decision by YouTube.
Mass flagging videos? Yea right. Good luck with that

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
The difference between all the other changes and this one is that this change gives unsupervised, un-punishable mass flagging tools to any random kid who manages to get to Level Three. Imaging the SJW storm that will cause when someone gets offended by a video and now has the ability to flag it, and all other types like it, at the mere couple of clicks of a button.

Mind you, people already do not get punished for false copyright claims, so the same thing will most likely happen with mass flagging; no punishment.