Suggestion Event Box For Future Maps / This one if possible.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
Suggestion: Add a Dark & Light event box for Future Maps / This one if possible.
Why it would be worth adding: Makes it extremely hard to have events set outside of the 'map' as it requires boarding off specific regions, etc. Runs the risk of randomly being interrupted by folks uninvolved, suspension of disbelief, etc.
Necessary content:
Unsure how hard it'll be, would it be feasible to copy paste from other maps with a Dark and Light Event box?

Reactions: List

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
if possible.
It's a bit of a stretch:

Any edit to a map requires a .vmf (most maps do not have these released, for obvious reasons) or for it to be decompiled.

Decompiling a map often breaks everything. displacements must be reset/recreated, textures must be re-applied, I/O functions must be fixed, func_ entities recreated/fixed, the list goes on.

It's a huge, huge thing to do versus just propping a square box somewhere.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
just use an event server.......?

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
just use an event server.......?
I don't think we have an event server, I'm pretty sure that costs money, and using an event server for a workshift seems a little bit extreme

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I don't think we have an event server, I'm pretty sure that costs money, and using an event server for a workshift seems a little bit extreme
it costs nothing to open a server for events on the box

who cares if it "seems extreme" if its cool as fuck

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
it costs nothing to open a server for events on the box

who cares if it "seems extreme" if its cool as fuck
I mean if I'm able to do it I'd be up for it lol, but the issue is getting the right map for people, downloading stuff, making sure everyone loads in, etc. Then you need staff members to properly oversee the entire thing etc / if a staff member needs to go, you're kinda fucked on a separate server. Or if there's downtime, they can't just switch over and help other people that might be doing a /help.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I mean if I'm able to do it I'd be up for it lol, but the issue is getting the right map for people, downloading stuff, making sure everyone loads in, etc. Then you need staff members to properly oversee the entire thing etc / if a staff member needs to go, you're kinda fucked on a separate server. Or if there's downtime, they can't just switch over and help other people that might be doing a /help.
you literally just need like

1 map thats a factory or whatever you want to use - and then use default server content

you don't need any more than 1 staff member who's competent

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
you literally just need like

1 map thats a factory or whatever you want to use - and then use default server content

you don't need any more than 1 staff member who's competent
ah that makes sense

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
it ain’t that hard

also id kill for an event server i got nothing in me rn lol

Nebulae
it ain’t that hard

also id kill for an event server i got nothing in me rn lol
events done in a server with people, that may or may not be aware of the event taking place > pre organized event population on an event server

its fun sometimes, for big scale events
but even the little events matter tbh
imagine all the event possibilities with event boxes being a thing, and doing that on a populated server without pre selection of event thing

also cool.
but event server for big scale eventos is also cool :)

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
events done in a server with people, that may or may not be aware of the event taking place > pre organized event population on an event server

imagine all the event possibilities with event boxes being a thing, and doing that on a populated server without pre selection of event thing

also cool.
IMG_0994.jpg

(you right but it’s also fun having absolute freedom)

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

also cool.
goofy argh event admin box with prop built enviroment vs painstakingly created maps with character added by decoration and world building

Trains

HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
sacrificing hours of your time to painstakingly create a prop build on a map already near the limit, only for the server to crash and you having to redo half of it

vs

log on, put some worldbuilding props that won’t take more than half an hour, get ur people on, go.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
sacrificing hours of your time to painstakingly create a prop build on a map already near the limit, only for the server to crash and you having to redo half of it

vs

log on, put some worldbuilding props that won’t take more than half an hour, get ur people on, go.
hey if you get an event server going??? yusss???

Nebulae
goofy argh event admin box with prop built enviroment vs painstakingly created maps with character added by decoration and world building
both are good

but what im saying is, when the MAIN server has people that can kinda be ''recruited'' into this event (the box event), by IC roleplay
and you perhaps can yield a more populated event if its in the server itself,
that's superior to me
compared to a pre organized ooc, that is a separate server event from the general playerbase.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
both are good

but what im saying is, when the MAIN server has people that can kinda be ''recruited'' into this event (the box event), by IC roleplay
and you perhaps can yield a more populated event if its in the server itself,
that's superior to me
compared to a pre organized ooc, that is a separate server event from the general playerbase.
we used to do ic recruited events all the time, where we just told people to connect to the event server in LOOC after lengthy rp and setting it up IC

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
we used to do ic recruited events all the time, where we just told people to connect to the event server in LOOC after lengthy rp and setting it up IC
it was pretty cool to wander into a situation and get told "hey we're doing X join the event server"

one of those led to time shenanigans & @Powley telling the g-man to fuck off right to his face

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I got told no event servers a month back no idea if that's changed

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
i refuse to set up an event server scheduling process, would rather just reserve it for really good shit that impacts main server meaningfully but cant be portrayed on main

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i refuse to set up an event server scheduling process, would rather just reserve it for really good shit that impacts main server meaningfully but cant be portrayed on main
why not just have it first come first serve, with a maximum of like 2 uses a week so it won't take much time from your day at all