Serious Event team discussion

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by Lzom, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Lzom

Lzom Snowflake

Nebulae:
    Hi guys, just a quick discussion thread since I don't wanna derail other threads for the subject, but I think it needs a chat abt.

The event team's not as good as it used to be, or at least people don't like it as much, I'll try and break down why I think that is into a few issues:

-Management:

Old event teams were always led by prominent event makers. Let's take a look at past managers:
    @Ronald and his good combo of prop-builds, friendly and consistent attitude, he led by example too, did a bunch of events, both small and 100 slotter.

@Dallas had a consistent schedule. He layed out practices, which are still used by the current event team, not to mention him also making tons of great events through his time, from 'The Fates' series, which popularised doing prop-builds, up to the amazing 100 slotters like Conflict 2, Toride, and Revolution.

@Ready Salted did some good prop builds, and offered to help with events. Ran a good few events, for both UU and reb side.

@Jaydawg has helped out with a good few events, I remember him doing stuff all the way back to i17.(A solid two - three years ago now). He did a 100 slotter, though it was mainly carried by the staff, it was still good fun. I don't recall him running anything since D47 started, though he's helped people sometimes I think? He came on for that Mic1500 event

-Team Members:
    It's apparent from the newest event team roster update that there's some disagreements about who's getting let into the team, I'm gonna go through all event co-ordinators and just list what contributions I know about (If I got anything wrong, feel free to correct me):

afric
    * * - Good few events, no issue
    Baker - Slightly low activity, but makes up for it in event quality
    egg [T] - Good events, has a lot of experience.
    Ein [T] - Ran the C24 event a while back and helped a bunch of events since. Low activity though quality, similar to baker.
    Flippy - Did the cult event on d47, I think he helped manage a 100 slotter back on c08 days? Not seen anything since, though it's fair considering his IRL situation rn.
    Flanders [T] - Done some good events, done some bad. Good prop builds, needs to prove himself
    Linntrix - Never heard of him do an event Did some events, could turn out good.
    MangoJuicy [T] - Never heard of him do an event
    Mateozz [T] - Never done his own events but I've heard he helped out in some good ones.
    Pumpkin [T] - I think he did a mini-event on D47 with a murder mystery?
    Sectus [T] - Got potential
    Tzula - Has cancelled more events than some members of the team has ran - needs to be more consistent in future to improve.
    Zach [T] - Never done any events
    York * * - Done a good few expeditions

So out of the 24 we have, there's a small group of 6 at most (from what I can see) doing stuff.

-Fixes
    -Management could do with a reshuffle, Jaydawg doesn't need removal, just a kick up the arse so there's more work put in, or at least somebody competent brought in to pull some weight.
    -Event supervisors should have permission to actually authorise events from non-event team
    -Event team needs a purge of inactive members
    -Event supervisors should have more autonomy if management are incapable of handling everything.

I wanna see people say their own thoughts on the stuff I've listed, or raise their own issues here.

Keep it constructive and try not to murder anyone over things fellas x

#1 Lzom, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • nebulous nebulous x 30
  2. linn

linn pilotbland's best friend
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    You literally asked about an event I did over steam and on the screenshot thread silly boy.

I do events semi-regularly. Currently doing a whole story line leading to a final event which will be on the event server.

Though none of the event management care to ask about what I’m doing which leads me to believe maybe I’m doing what they don’t want.

Who knows.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  3. Lzom

Lzom Snowflake

Nebulae:
    Oh I thought that was Flanders one and you were just helpin out

I'll edit that now xx

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  4. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    The reason I don't do much stuff is simply because of the hoops I have to go through. Granted it wasn't an issue during the @Dallas days because i'd get my idea posted and just bug him until he responded to me, because he's my pal and shit. I don't feel like I can do now (mostly because I don't know the event management that well).

I'm really impatient and at least two of my events I just didn't want to do anymore because no one responded and I just gave up.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    i think there needs to be a step away from theory and more practice
    less roleplay bureaucracy, focus on getting a proper schedule going - pump high quality stuff out and make people feel valued enough that they want to contribute often and experiment in their content

[​IMG]

this is the event chart during my time as event manager - im the beige/tan colour, @Powley is the olive green, dark red is @Baker and so on
    you can see that the effort was consistent and throughout the year, this was because events did not remain in the planning phase for long and were encouraged to be pitched practically and ran as soon as possible

when you plan everything down to the last detail with a script you are actually planning to fail, players won't act like you think they are, instead operate in a broad and player-focused capacity and be open to change at all stages of the development and running

• nebulous nebulous x 15
  6. Mateozz

Mateozz friendly
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    most of the events that ive proposed were either put on hold or i personally denied them because we've changed maps and I'm no longer able to do them because there's not an admin box on c08
    but ive got stuff in mind, though - just need to regain motivation

as in for the event team thingy, imo event supervisors should be able to authorize / review event suggestions made by players, one person reviewing the player suggestions is not enough

Dallas raised a few good points in his post so I'll just quote it here

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  7. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    Second big dalman. If you don't respond to my ideas then I feel like "why bother and shit?".
    Shit events are better than no events.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  8. Lzom

Lzom Snowflake

Nebulae:
    From how they've been handling player suggestions, and other things it feels like they don't really care about events like older guys were, maybe it's just burnout though.

I don't care why tbh though I just wanna get the shit sorted so we can have good events again.
    Don't reckon it was because of that. Dallas let a lot of people he didn't like run events and gave lads a fair chance w/ shit tbh.
    Big agree on this + your whole post.

I don't see why over-plan things, it just brings stress to the event makers, and makes them extremely pissed when people go off their 'perfect' script.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  9. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    Nah I mean that I could always bother dallas for a date for my event cause he was my pal

10. Lzom

Lzom Snowflake

Nebulae:
    Yea I wasnt his mate but I'd be able to do the same if you get me

11. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Planning scripts 100% is what led to Contact 7's first day being a mess when @Dallas wasn't around to run it himself and players did shit that wasn't on script. The other days went fine but I think thats probably when the detailed planning went in the bin (and it had some fantastic moments).

So long as you have something of a goal and a means to get there, people will enjoy it even with flaws (ie; Heavy Snow).

12. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    No event script survives the combined retardation of players. Several mini-events I’ve done here and elsewhere involved me adapting on the fly to an idea I never thought of

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  13. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    I think people just gotta take the plunge.

Yeah some people got put on the team who maybe shouldn't have but I think everyone deserves a shot to prove themselves. Let people do events, let folks garner interest.

14. Kafe

Kafe *Raises sign*
    HL2 RP Operator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Admittedly for me when I was curious about doing events, the thing that took me out of it was the need for prop building on server since you have to get a star to use the event server. In the end I've stepped back and now just make event maps for people who can use that server.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  15. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    If you hadn’t come in I was legit gonna drop that idea

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  16. MangoJuicy

MangoJuicy you don't know who i am

Nebulae:
    mostly mini-events, did about six small events on my quartermaster character during heavy snow, and practically controlled the firearms output on the conscript throughout it on my event character. apart from that, no further events independently

apart from that got a doc with at least 4 long winded scripts that i'd like to put into practise but just have lost interest in them and doubted their fluency

but to be honest could be more active, perhaps @Zach and I could do a collab seeing as he needs to do one to get off trial?

honestly it's a waiting game with city 8 unless I can whip up something real improv

17. Mateozz

Mateozz friendly
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    imo the main problem with heavy snow is that it didn't really have a clear goal. Right, D47 was gassed, the entire city was sent into the outlands but you didn't really have a goal. You went out on a patrol, you've done some s2k which is boring and you came back to your base and passiverp'ed with some people. Then you were magically moved to c08

in conflict ii white forest there was always something happening, be it UIL working on a teleporter, rebels trying to rush the conscripts or some planning on the rebel side of things. There were mini-events conducted everyday, while, in heavy snow you weren't really doing anything other than passiverp'ing and s2k'ing, though I have to admit, passiverp was fun and refreshing

I'd be happier if there was a clear goal, reasoning behind the relocation to city 08 (via a train like it was done after conflict ii if im right.), better reasoning behind the whole battle and if the event was shorter in general

18. Kafe

Kafe *Raises sign*
    HL2 RP Operator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    When I see a concept I like, I'll try to make a map you will like.

19. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Also I hope the new lore doc yesterday helps inspire folks. Do shit with them, they're there to be used by almost any faction, if they find out about them.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  20. Mateozz

Mateozz friendly
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    cab x d22 delegation or something like that would be cool

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice