fighting, melee, roleplay, and why i hate all three

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by dee pixel, Mar 9, 2020.

1. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    PART ONE: you're doing it wrong

how roleplayers think fights play out

how fights actually play out

see the difference? the former is clearly movie magic. it's false, fake, fictional. entertaining to watch, no doubt, but far too clean and precise to be considered realistic. this is how roleplayers often envision their characters when they fight: pinpoint hits, quick movements, agile shifting of stances, peerless usage of fighting styles; absolutely no mistakes or awkwardness of any kind. sad to say that this isn't how fights work. maybe in the unreal, fantastical universe of the MCU, sure, but in any reasonable setting? nope.

the latter on the other hand is far more accurate. the movements are awkward, random. much of the fighting consists of imprecise swinging and unpleasant stumbling followed by a brutal beatdown to top the whole thing off. this is how most fights go. they usually happen far too quickly to permit the application of proper stances or kung fu moves.

PART TWO: /me is so brutal!

i don't know why but a lot of you like to engage in this abominable trope.

battle cries, bullshit "adrenaline" excuses, unnecessarily brutal moves, acting like you just came off the set of braveheart, trying to decapitate and gouge out the eyes of every person you engage in fisticuffs with.

you don't have to bathe in the blood of everyone who throws a punch your way. there's no reason to go around making necklaces out of the entrails of people who start bar fights or minor scuffles with you. and furthermore, not everyone move you perform has to be prefaced with adjectives like "savage" or "crazy" or followed by dumb shit like "battle cries".

furthermore, you don't have to win every fight. you don't have to end every person's life. i've seen characters who are otherwise nonviolent engage in excessively violent fights to the death over very trivial matters. stop that. roleplay human beings for fuck sakes.

PART THREE: reaction times and other forgotten relics

most of you severely overestimate the reaction times of your own characters while severely underestimating the reaction times of others.

when something unexpected happens, you are typically shocked. in being shocked, you are robbed of the ability to act immediately. sometimes you may act irrationally; other times you might not act at all. when a guy decks someone a few feet away from you, you're not gonna instantly fall on the bastard like your life depends on it. might take a second for you to register what just happened; in that time, the guy might have turned his attention to you or perhaps begun to make an escape. in either case, you didn't act immediately because you were in shock.

another example. when someone throws a punch at you and you're not expecting it, you're most likely going to take the hit. hell, even if you ARE expecting it you're still very likely to get hit. dodging things is quite difficult if you're not agile or well trained. blocking is less egregious but is ineffective for those who aren't any good at fighting. despite this, i see many of you constantly dodging and blocking your way through every combat encounter because you think for some reason that your characters have the reaction times of god damn ninjas.

this was a very incoherent rant and i do not apologize. fix your fucking ways, nebulous. make bar fights more enjoyable.

• nebulous nebulous x 42
  2. Baker

Baker Mr. Mineside
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:

• nebulous nebulous x 9
  3. bubblegum

bubblegum chick in vegas
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    RP fighting people you don't know sucks.

Why should you play to lose when you're in a life or death situation with your character? I feel that in the case of most strangers you'll RP with, you can't trust them to roleplay not in the self interest of their character. You need to 'stand your ground' and not RP as some weakling squishy human that your character probably is. The best alternative is just rolling. In my old RP, characters actually fought. It's about as fair as S2K, as a weaker character can win, but it beats arguing in L-OOC due to powergaming.

Most street fights don't last that long. From the fights I've seen in person and on videos, they last thirty seconds generally at most. Girl on girl fights are worse, but people in this RP seem really savage for no reason other than to be brutal. Unless your character is fighting their worst enemy or they're fighting for their life, I don't see why your character would really go that ham.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  4. zach

zach give this guy his adm*n back
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    roll fights best fights

• nebulous nebulous x 17
  5. Antloin

Antloin Molecule

Nebulae:
    No one will be able to perfectly write out and have the most realistic combat, everyone or at least almost everyone havent experienced or know much about Shock or any feelings that occur during a threatening situation, all of the combat sounds good on paper but is terrible in execution.

Roleplay will never reach the realistic level, where everyone fights fairly and pretty much acts like a real person, this isnt Ready Player One virtual world with super suits that gives you every feeling you can feel in the world but in games. So it's no big surprise that stuff above happens, in the end, HL2RP is pretty much a movie nowadays, same applies to events and especially Dallas' events, which are inspired by movies.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. OneClassyBanana

OneClassyBanana mr roboto
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    i hate this word so fucking much but this post is genuinely

based

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  7. bubblegum

bubblegum chick in vegas
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I'm not experienced in mortal combat, but I've been in a situation before where I genuinely feared for my life and I was struck. I remember not really feeling it. I think a lot of what Dee Pixel said might not necessarily hold truth within the real world, as there's an exception for everything, but I believe Dee Pixel is right in that the tropes people use in fights are cheesy and borderline powergamey. I'm not perfect either. In the course of my RP I've made these mistakes, and I'll probably make these mistakes again sometime for sure. I think these things are important to talk about and consider, which leads to my next point

I disagree, one hundred percent. I try to hold my roleplay to a realistic standard and always remain 110 percent in character and in tune to reality as I can. Dallas' events are stylized but I don't think they break roleplay writing conventions that I believe should be followed. Where does this idea that roleplay will never reach a realistic level come from? I've seen it done before. You just think to think about why your character acts the way they do, as well as how they would react in common situations. I believe you can always improve as a roleplayer so why are so many roleplayers against being smarter about it?

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  8. florek

florek Electron

Nebulae:
    Gotta agree with that one.

I personally like /roll fighting over the simple fact that it's left up to destiny to decide who'll make the bigger outcome.

Hell, if we had a D&D type of skill chart where we either add or subtract points for individual properties of ones character, say for example you get a +10 to all roles cause of your approved Conscript solider backstory, I'm sure people would still be fine with that.

Other than that, I fucking hate P2L. Not cause I'm incapable of doing it, don't get me wrong. On Russo, I've deliberately chosen to lose quite a fair share of fights cause I was either caught off guard, had a certain part of my body exposed and left an easy path for my character to get attacked on or, my favourite, just got decked in the face unexpectedly so hard, I just pretty much RP'd getting knocked out.

While I don't entirely agree with the 'shock' argument- simply because not every human being always has the same reaction to shock- it's still very much true. If someone fires a gun near you and you didn't expect it? You'd probably either run in fear or dive for cover. Same goes of the occasional stabby stabby knife ninja. You wouldn't just bumrush his ass a la John Wick and take him down, cause you'll probably die.

Back to my initial point: I prefer roll based fighting. It leaves the chance up to coincidence, and gives both sides a chance of a fair fight.

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  9. OneClassyBanana

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  10. bubblegum

bubblegum chick in vegas
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I hit held at gunpoint once by some guy. I was frozen, then I realized I didn't want whatever he was doing, so I tried to run away. I got punched, and I swear to God I don't even remember feeling a thing. My fight or flight response kicked in and I fucking ran. I think that when you're in a situation where it's LIFE OR DEATH, where if you don't either fight for your life or run the fuck away, you'll act irrationally and against your body's self interest.

Such was the case today with my character. She fought a man with a knife foolishly, thinking that if she didn't act in such a way, a man she was helping and herself would be brutally stabbed. She nearly lost a few fingers in that fight, and will feel the pain for weeks or months to come. But if someone just calls your character a weenie and tries to take his cornbread, I don't think any of that applies. Dee Pixel, I believe, is referring to situations where it's just a fight. Killing people is the dumbest way to resolve conflicts IC and should always be a last resort.
    Merged:
    im high rn so im on another plane bro lmao

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  11. r0nni

r0nni Du blir' trampet ned for de ting du ik' forstod
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Everyone wants to be the protagonist.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. florek

florek Electron

Nebulae:
    Agreed.

Back on LP times, I've seen people get shredded over something as trivial as a fist fight. Punch somebody in the face, get a hail of lead fired back right at you. Over a fist fight. A fist fight. Think of that for a minute.

Killing is a viable mean of defending yourself, in my opinion. But there is a very fine threshold one should consider before actually pulling the trigger on someone or before you beat them to their inevitable death.

Ask yourself: only because you had a disagreement with someone over something and had a fight, would you come back and fucking shoot them over it? In most cases, most likely not.

Are you a psychopath or some type of nut that needs to kill for satisfication, preservation of pride or proving a point? Probably, but most likely a no.

Should you do it regardless? Definitely not.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  13. OneClassyBanana

Nebulae:
    i'm not even high i've just intellectually devolved into chronic shitposting at this point

anyway yeah people who rp as somehow having like usmc-tier cqc training despite having the collective combative history of your mom's fucking electrician is a tired and idiotic trope that needs to die out and give way to good old-fashioned desperation

give us more rebel fighters that don't know how to throw a punch or shoot a gun worth a damn

give us more fights where both sides realize there's no winning and just back off like normal fucking people

give us more brawls that are just mild scuffles and grapples instead of these stupid /me stomps on the man's kneecap hard enough to break it bullshit

give us people that are genuinely shocked or uncomfortable or straight up unable to respond in a combat/hostile situation

not every fistfight needs to end in a death because 'muh pk auths' lmao fuck off

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  14. bubblegum

bubblegum chick in vegas
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Our RP was really good because our characters were hurling insults and threatening violence, but it never really escalated to the point of fists and it didn't end in stabbing or gun battles. I love conflict RP if it's done right, but it often times either gets into OOC territory or it ends in death. Stupid.

rollenspeilers: why does everyone break up fights ic! just let us fight!
    also rollenspeilers: /me takes the man's head and flings it with all their might against the concrete

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  15. OneClassyBanana

Nebulae:
    hot take: the reason fightRPers are so stupid is because everyone's bashed everyone else's brains out against the concrete

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  16. florek

florek Electron

Nebulae:
    Yeah I don't get this either. Everyone's so set on killing, killing, killing.

Funnily enough, on Space Station 13 servers, there is actual rules in place to prevent players from just murderboning everyone over stupid shit like insults or fighting. They have proper 'Escalation Procedures' that need to be followed in order to go to the next stage.

Usually goes like:
    Insults -> Pushing -> Punching -> Usage of objects like bottles/stools/sticks -> lethal meeles like knives, shanks, glass shards -> firearms

And it works pretty good. The rules force you to value life, cause killing a player usually means putting them out of the round for 3 OOC hours, if you're lucky enough. On neb, you'd lose a character permanently over someone being inept of dealing out a just enough punishment other than death. Primitive thinking.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  17. OneClassyBanana

Nebulae:
    ftfy

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  18. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer i like firetruck and moster truck

Nebulae:
    incredibly based post

I do kind of wish we had attributes with rolls dedicated to this kind of thing, would probably solve a lot of arguments.

• nebulous nebulous x 9
  19. '77 East

'77 East Rictal-Approved
    WW3 RP Operator

Nebulae:
    fixed

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  20. Jas691

Jas691 Electron

Nebulae:
    Rolling feels so off to me and not like proper roleplay.
    I'd rather play-to-lose and have myself a good time.
    Always only use PKs as a last resort too.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice