fps guide

Nebulae
anyone know how to get more fps on gmod but without losing the game's graphics/visuals?
i know there used to be a thread that told about this but i can't find it

Hunk

Extraction Point
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
try Technical Support subforum or the old iteneration subforum thats my guess

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
anyone know how to get more fps on gmod but without losing the game's graphics/visuals?
i know there used to be a thread that told about this but i can't find it

There's a useful guide on this forum that I was able to find

Reactions: List
Nebulae
i was thinking to use the Votra’s Autoexec but i’m doubtful that it might make my graphics wankky and bad.
Can someone who has used it tell me if Votras Autoexef will breake down my grahpics because I want to have good fps but still also have good graphics

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i was thinking to use the Votra’s Autoexec but i’m doubtful that it might make my graphics wankky and bad.
Can someone who has used it tell me if Votras Autoexef will breake down my grahpics because I want to have good fps but still also have good graphics

I would suggest trying it, I'm not familiar with Votra's cfg so I don't know what it will look like but generally if you want to have better fps you will need to turn down the graphic settings. It just depends on how much graphics you're willing to downgrade and you can always tune it to your liking.

You can use the exec without replacing your autoexec by going into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg and making a new file called Votra.cfg and pasting the contents inside.

It would look something like this:
mwqgyZi.png

When you launch gmod, open the console and type exec Votra

YYrMqdU.png

This will make it so you use the settings for this gmod session and you will need to exec it through console every time if you decide to use it. Of course if you like it you can change it into an autoexec by pasting the contents into the autoexec cfg file.

If you run it as autoexec also, you can disable read-only on the file and tweak the settings ingame through the video options so you still automatically run the console commands in there but with some higher graphics of your choosing and then you can play around with it and have some better graphics when you decide

Nebulae
I would suggest trying it, I'm not familiar with Votra's cfg so I don't know what it will look like but generally if you want to have better fps you will need to turn down the graphic settings. It just depends on how much graphics you're willing to downgrade and you can always tune it to your liking.

You can use the exec without replacing your autoexec by going into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg and making a new file called Votra.cfg and pasting the contents inside.

It would look something like this:
mwqgyZi.png

When you launch gmod, open the console and type exec Votra

YYrMqdU.png

This will make it so you use the settings for this gmod session and you will need to exec it through console every time if you decide to use it. Of course if you like it you can change it into an autoexec by pasting the contents into the autoexec cfg file.

If you run it as autoexec also, you can disable read-only on the file and tweak the settings ingame through the video options so you still automatically run the console commands in there but with some higher graphics of your choosing and then you can play around with it and have some better graphics when you decide

thank you!!

Votra

Retired
Nebulae

The config was edited years ago to removal graphical changes with the exception of specularity (shaders that draw reflections) and texture compression (uses less video memory, which was personally necessary on my laptop at the time). Otherwise it simply enables multi-core rendering.

I can share one I use that lowers graphics and makes it playable on my 11th gen Intel mobile CPU.

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
I wasn’t looking for one that lowers the graphics.
It might be too much to ask but do you know what your old votras config does exactly?
i thought your config didn’t lower the graphics.

mat_compressedtextures and mat_specularity are set to "1" to ensure you don't have shader or model issues that caused artifacting and game crashes. All other commands enable experimental multi-core rendering added in circa. 2016 by Robot or whoever Garry had working on the game.

Been years since I looked at that old config.

Nebulae
mat_compressedtextures and mat_specularity are set to "1" to ensure you don't have shader or model issues that caused artifacting and game crashes. All other commands enable experimental multi-core rendering added in circa. 2016 by Robot or whoever Garry had working on the game.

Been years since I looked at that old config.
next time you or someone else posts a config it would be better to also include what each command does