gigis great pc mistake

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
i have money soon and im planning to revamp my pc from its current normal size atx to a small form factor mini itx
due to the nature of such a build im having to change pretty much all of the components and im gonna throw in a few upgrades alongside it as my hardware is quite dated
my current issue is ive got very few people i can bounce these ideas off for feedback, so im hoping i can get some feedback on here
as a note im looking to expliot the upcoming next gen of cpus and gpus from amd in the hopes the prices might drop a bit although im fully open to ideas as money is not an object

Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ01
PSU: Silverstone SX800-LTI
MB: ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S
RAM: two 16 GB sticks for 32 GB, considering either Corsair Vengeance or GSkill Trident Z series
GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX VEGA 64 8G
Optical Drive: SilverStone SOD03
i'll be carrying over a 1 tb 3.5 inch hdd and a 2.5 128 gb inch ssd from my current build so i dont have to reinstall everything, but im also considering upgrading my 3.5 to a 4 tb and copying over all the files although im not sure if steam will piss around with hardware locks and force me to redownload everything

if anyones got decent input on potential changes or tweaks id greatly appreciate it

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
for detailed advice use linustechtips forums - great place really

Optical Drive: SilverStone SOD03
do you really need an optical drive?

Silverstone Raven RVZ01
there are better mini itx cases unless you're going real compact
e.g fractal design nano s, personal experience using it with almost the same setup, worth it

Reactions: List

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
do you really need an optical drive?
i have a few old games that run on disc with more on the way, im often burning CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs for consoles and other bits that i find disc drives useful for
there are better mini itx cases unless you're going real compact
e.g fractal design nano s, personal experience using it with almost the same setup, worth it
im working with small amounts of space as im often doing stuff on my desk so i need something small and compact, i was originally considering a Node 202 or 304 but theyre awkward with proportions and often have really arbitrary aspects to them which makes them awkward to work with and are very limited with what you can do which doesnt suit me really
ive still got a few like the Corsair 250D in the back of my mind that fulfill my needs to a similar extent but the RVZ01 has ticked a lot of boxes for me

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
should be all good then, if you really want check out ltt forums and ask stuff there

good build

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
should be all good then, if you really want check out ltt forums and ask stuff there

good build
cheers for the help, im still open to different directions regarding case as long as i can still use a 3.5 drive as the motherboard can support an external optical drive
im also considering the likes of mITX towers with the NZXT H200i taking my fancy for their better airflow and ATX support over smaller cases like the RVZ01 which means i could keep my current 1000 watt which pretty much future proofs it and have a much larger cpu cooler allowing me to not stress about it melting on me, id be sacrificing some of the "clean" look and smaller factor i was hoping for but the safety of better cooling would be worth the trade off without sacrificing the initial goal

Reactions: List

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
cheers for the help, im still open to different directions regarding case as long as i can still use a 3.5 drive as the motherboard can support an external optical drive
im also considering the likes of mITX towers with the NZXT H200i taking my fancy for their better airflow and ATX support over smaller cases like the RVZ01 which means i could keep my current 1000 watt which pretty much future proofs it and have a much larger cpu cooler allowing me to not stress about it melting on me, id be sacrificing some of the "clean" look and smaller factor i was hoping for but the safety of better cooling would be worth the trade off without sacrificing the initial goal

don't have experience with the h200i but i'd pick it over your current choice any time just simply bc of the looks and nzxt brand
or are you that low on space?

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
don't have experience with the h200i but i'd pick it over your current choice any time just simply bc of the looks and nzxt brand
or are you that low on space?
my desk space is about average sized and its currently taken up by a full size itx case thats running an ancient mitx motherboard and a 32 inch tv thats supported by the wall behind it so im hoping to downsize a lot with a 22 inch tv with built in stand ive been eyeing up for a while and an mitx pc as itd liberate half the desk for working and having a few consoles like my Dreamcast without space issues
when i look at it now the RVZ01 would be great as it even offers a 9.5mm optical drive slot which id greatly appreciate but the space limitations would kill cooling a lot which i rely on due to playing games a lot so i may change the cooling and power supply options around in favour of the NZXT H200i
for now im keeping my options open as the money could be anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months away so ive got god knows how long to plan it all out, i just have a few things im prioritising like 3.5 drive compatibility and potentially an optical drive as i work with discs quite a lot
if youve got any good quality mitx tower cases similar to the H200i in the sense its a smaller matx/atx which supports an optical drive be it a 9.5mm or a 5.25 inch, a 3.5 drive and maybe even an ATX PSU do drop their names so i can look at them too

Last edited:

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
im changing to the Corsair 250D, ive been swirling the case around in my head for a while, it being the first ITX case i considered to begin with, but ive finally decided the 240mm radiator options (allowing usage of a Corsair H100) makes it a very wanted addition along with the full 5.25 bay, practically any size PSU (so i can carry over my overkill RM1000i) and other little bits that give it great potential for a build
im also downgrading from the Vega 64 to the RX590 as Vega's 150 watts more for 300 watts for only a marginal performance boost, the 590 fits much better and i want a DVI port
as a note, with the upcoming 7nm 3000 series Ryzen im considering holding off to see their release and potentially buy one of them rather than the 2700x for even more performance at the same TDP but im wondering if i should just go with the 2700x now or hold off and pick up a 3000 series later as im not sure if the performance will be worth the wait

in the next few weeks i should be speaking to someone who will help me put everything into action and hopefully in the next month or two i'll have some kind of result