Goopys 30 days of trying to learn art

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
Picked up a drawing tablet last year. Didn't really use it other than like a day. No experience with art before. Thought I'd try to see if I can use references to get somewhere in thirty days.

c4cd52c6bd3af7cb9c14abb9660dc022.png

253cfd7c23e1ab5c834dff2095391c42.png

Each post is using a reference since I heard that was the best way to learn. For now, its not straying at all from the reference, but hopefully I can build confidence. But for now, 0.5 is effectively a near trace, trying to figure out where sockets go on the face, where brows go to that and the definition of the lips.

I don't know how to make a nose, and since the model was wearing a hat, figuring out where to draw the rest of the head was a bit funky. Same with the hair covering the neck.

Last edited:
Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 7099

a good way to start out drawing is to try to find an art style that you'd like to draw, of course still following anatomy practice for more realistic figures but getting comfortable with a style of your own helps tenfold and boosts motivation to keep drawing
if you don't know what an art style is, think of the mona lisa vs crash bandicoot, not in as a death battle, just how they're drawn

the mona lisa is a painting of a real person, it's meant to accurately depict someone who genuinely existed as best as possible, while crash bandicoot never existed (or at least that's what my doctor says.) and is a completely stylized version of an anthropomorphic bandicoot meant to look like a cartoon character. though while these works may be night and day, neither one is completely stylized or completely realistic, of course ignoring an individual artist's talent to recreate reality or create a caricature of it

something commonly done to cartoon characters is, while keeping their exaggerated proportions and general shape the same, they're given realistic texturing, such as hair or skin. a good example of this would be the recent sonic movie, while sonic is still shaped like an exaggerated cartoon character, his overall texturing is meant to look realistic. using the mona lisa as an example, it isn't completely realistic. the painting's colors are likely completely different from what the real life reference for the painting was, and obviously if you could time travel and take a picture of the woman next to the painting you'd notice some obvious quirks that devinci worked into the piece. despite this, just as sonic, no matter how realistic his fur may look, he's still meant to look like a cartoon character, just as the mona lisa, no matter the slight stylized aspects of it, depicted a real person, likely with high accuracy

so considering this, don't let how much effort it'd be to adapt a style scare you away from trying it, as art is a whole entire journey that takes years to get a basic level at. it likely took divinci just as long and with equal effort to form his painting style as it did the concept artists for crash bandicoot to form theirs, as a true to life style doesn't exactly automatically equal perfect masterpiece, it's the quality of the piece that does.

in conclusion adapt any style you want except anime don't do that it sucks good luck on this journey

Goopy

Molecule
Nebulae
a good way to start out drawing is to try to find an art style that you'd like to draw, of course still following anatomy practice for more realistic figures but getting comfortable with a style of your own helps tenfold and boosts motivation to keep drawing
if you don't know what an art style is, think of the mona lisa vs crash bandicoot, not in as a death battle, just how they're drawn

the mona lisa is a painting of a real person, it's meant to accurately depict someone who genuinely existed as best as possible, while crash bandicoot never existed (or at least that's what my doctor says.) and is a completely stylized version of an anthropomorphic bandicoot meant to look like a cartoon character. though while these works may be night and day, neither one is completely stylized or completely realistic, of course ignoring an individual artist's talent to recreate reality or create a caricature of it

something commonly done to cartoon characters is, while keeping their exaggerated proportions and general shape the same, they're given realistic texturing, such as hair or skin. a good example of this would be the recent sonic movie, while sonic is still shaped like an exaggerated cartoon character, his overall texturing is meant to look realistic. using the mona lisa as an example, it isn't completely realistic. the painting's colors are likely completely different from what the real life reference for the painting was, and obviously if you could time travel and take a picture of the woman next to the painting you'd notice some obvious quirks that devinci worked into the piece. despite this, just as sonic, no matter how realistic his fur may look, he's still meant to look like a cartoon character, just as the mona lisa, no matter the slight stylized aspects of it, depicted a real person, likely with high accuracy

so considering this, don't let how much effort it'd be to adapt a style scare you away from trying it, as art is a whole entire journey that takes years to get a basic level at. it likely took divinci just as long and with equal effort to form his painting style as it did the concept artists for crash bandicoot to form theirs, as a true to life style doesn't exactly automatically equal perfect masterpiece, it's the quality of the piece that does.

in conclusion adapt any style you want except anime don't do that it sucks good luck on this journey

Style is something I realise I need to get, I just dont now how to get it. I dont even know what brush to use right now lol. And honestly? Im not sure which style I want.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Style is something I realise I need to get, I just dont now how to get it. I dont even know what brush to use right now lol. And honestly? Im not sure which style I want.

my artistic friends got their style by emulating another's style
then integrating another's style into it
then just continuing to add more aspects they like from other artists until they have a mix 'n match that is entirely their own