GPUs

Nebulae
anything that was made after 2008 is perfect for garrys mod I think this game is old

Though I want to add on despite any graphics card these days can handle GMOD. When it comes to running high quality textures, i.e. ones not natively working with the Source Engine like GMOD's does with using HL2's textures, you will most likely have issues. The high quality textures I'm referring to, for example, are high quality maps and cars.

No matter how powerful the GPU, if you have that on full ultra, you will have low frames per second. The reason being because the Source Engine cannot handle such high quality textures on such a old engine that is now 13 years old, so it lags. I have a GTX 950 SC+ card and I have issues, and I have heard some with 1060's even having issues. However, if you are working with mostly or all native textures for servers, there shouldn't be an issue, @Jarmal.

Reactions: List

Khaatamul Nasheed

Nucleus
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Though I want to add on despite any graphics card these days can handle GMOD. When it comes to running high quality textures, i.e. ones not natively working with the Source Engine like GMOD's does with using HL2's textures, you will most likely have issues. The high quality textures I'm referring to, for example, are high quality maps and cars.

No matter how powerful the GPU, if you have that on full ultra, you will have low frames per second. The reason being because the Source Engine cannot handle such high quality textures on such a old engine that is now 13 years old, so it lags. I have a GTX 950 SC+ card and I have issues, and I have heard some with 1060's even having issues. However, if you are working with mostly or all native textures for servers, there shouldn't be an issue, @Jarmal.
have you checked your ram it works fine for me

Khaatamul Nasheed

Nucleus
B A N N E D
Nebulae
My RAM is fine. GMOD just has HQ texture issues in general, especially when you turn things up all the way. Native textures have no issues, however. You do know what examples I was referring to, correct?
No, all the textures ate from 2006 I think none of them are high quality idk might be your CPU

Jarmal

Electron
Nebulae
Garry's Mod and its' respective Source Engine version doesn't require a modern and or beefy GPU. Integrated graphics certainly aren't recommended, but other than that, I've focus more on the CPU. A lower core / thread count (No more than 8 / 16, preferably 4 / 8) at a higher frequency will do much more for you.

That being said, I'd also make sure you got 8 GB of RAM and an HDD at 7200 RPM that isn't dying on you - that'll slow down your computer regardless. Other than that, look at the i5 and i7s.

GPUs worth buying for the dollar:

GTX 1050 Ti
GTX 1070
RX480
You think a r5 1600x would be fine?

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
I'm preferable to Intel because 8 cores / 16 threads doesn't do well in games. Most video games use no more than 2 cores, four threads. And when they do, there is still only that one core and two threads processing most data.

Intel i5 6500k, 7500k, intel i7 4700k, intel 6700k, intel 7700k, or if on a budget, the intel i3 6100 are all good choices.
1600 is a hex-core, not an octa-core
and mcore_whatever should let you use all your cores.
either way the g4560 is superior to the i3 6100 and 7100 because of hyperthreading and is cheaper.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
There isn't a magical cvar that utilizes all your cores, and there certainly isn't a magical cvar that utilizes all your cores equally. You are correct about the 6-core CPU however, that was my mistake. Although it should be noted hyperthreading is an Intel technology...
yeah ik the g4560 is Intel, not Amd but it is still better than getting an i3.

and I thought you could force gmod to use x amount of extra cores and x amount of extra threads other than just 2 cores and 2 threads