Guard Duty & Operation Black Mesa, upcoming Source conversions of Blue Shift & Opposing Force

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Tinbe, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Tinbe

Tinbe Atom

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]
    What it says on the tin, Guard Duty and Operation Black Mesa are planned to be Source remakes for Blue Shift and Opposing Force, expansions to the original Half-Life game. In the making by Tripmine Studio, these games are kinda like buddies to Black Mesa made by different devs. No defined release date yet, but they made a new thread a few hours ago as to keep people updated on the progress.
    Enjoy.
    I'd put more stuff here for display, but I reckon most of the prior media is old and doesn't represent the current state of progress. Have some bits I nabbed out of the thread linked above. For the sake of not stretching the post too much, I put the cavalcade of images in spoiler tags.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 8
  2. ye man

ye man Nucleus

Nebulae:
    Good to see these games arent dead in the water and still make progress. Thanks for the update

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  3. steve maxwell

steve maxwell Electron

Nebulae:
    I wonder how Race X will look like in Operation Black mesa?

4. Tinbe

Tinbe Atom

Nebulae:
    The summer update showed couple of the Race X aliens among the pictures, albeit not from a close-up view.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Voltigore seems similar to the model showcased in one video eight years back.

So it's likely that these are placeholder models from the time years back in the mod development. This appears even more evident in their recruitment thread, though whether the situation has changed since this was posted 2 years ago, I know not.
    DESCRIPTION

As a 3D organic modeler, you will help reimagine the classic creatures from the Half-Life universe in HD detail andfidelity not even conceivable in the original games. From sculpting to texturing, the design of flora and fauna of theBlack Mesa Research Facility and Xen will rest on your shoulders.

RESPONSIBILITES

• Sculpting high-poly 3D organic models for humanoids and diverse monsters.
    • Baking high-poly models to game ready low poly assets.• Texturing models produced so they are compatible with the Source Engine.
    • Manage multiple 3D models at any point in time.
    • Work closely with game designers, animators, and programmers to creatively solve problems as they arise in thedevelopment cycle of game mechanics and entities.
    • Troubleshooting of animation problems as they arise.

REQUIREMENTS

• Able to create both high and low poly organic 3D models.
    • Able to texture models created to a professional level for use in the Source Engine.• Familiar with source control (SVN, Git, or equivalent).
    • Experience with Maya, 3DS max, Blender, or equivalent modeling software.
    • Experience with Photoshop or equivalent 2D texturing software.
    • Ability to create clean UV maps for models created, which are readable by other team members.
    • Dedicated and able to work with a team.• Previous experience in 3D modeling 2D texturing (samples and portfolio pieces are REQUIRED).
    • Experience with the Source Engine (branch does not matter) is a big plus.
    • Experience with the Hammer World Editor (branch does not matter) is a big plus.
    • Ability to put in regular hours to accomplish tasks as required.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  5. ramsgater

ramsgater `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    blue shift isn't in the dumps after all?

thought it got shelved after developer issues

but those weapon models really really suck to be honest

6. Tinbe

Tinbe Atom

Nebulae:
    Operation Black Mesa and Guard Duty were separate project at first, IIRC, and later the two dev teams merged. There might've been another Blue Shift remake being in the works that was canned, I have a distant memory of hearing about two separate projects for Blue Shift.

7. Tinbe

Tinbe Atom

Nebulae:
    Bit of a daring bump to show off some of the new videos from tripmineteam's YT channel.
    First up, some animations for the M4A1

Then we've got some new modifiers for sounds for different room types, plus explosives sound off in four different manners depending on the distance.

And lastly we've got some gas cylinder interactivity. Shooting one makes it propel based on where the bullet lands. They've got two types of gas cylinders, "safe gas" ones that don't explode, and, well, ones that explode. There's also a ton of visual variety - both for a scuffed, old look and new, cleaner one and varying colors for the cylinders and caps/valves on top of them.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice