Serious Half Life 2 RP Debates

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by Neo Komchan, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Thood74

Thood74 Nucleus
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Oh yeah, that was a thing that happened

2. big chungus

big chungus Electron

Nebulae:
    It would be literal torture to have to wear a shitty old Soviet gasmask every minute of the day

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  3. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    heh good... more dystopia...

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  4. key

key Moderator
    Moderator HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    im gonna oppress you.

5. dee pixel

Nebulae:
    you already do. every day. i long for freedom.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  6. key

key Moderator
    Moderator HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    well now im gonna oppress you harder

7. Neo Komchan

Neo Komchan Electron
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Nebs should be readded to screenshots before it degrades even more.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. bubblegum

bubblegum chick in vegas
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I was wrong btw...

I think cops being masked serves a purpose. Like people in cars feel like they're removed from a situation, because they have that degree of separation. I think masks serve that purpose too.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  9. GothTrad

GothTrad Spooky scary skeleton
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    That's the point. It also breaks the human figure of the cops in a whole oppressive force that can't be distinguished, your prosecutor has no face, no name, nothing you can differ from another one. Is he really a human? Is he really in my side? Questions about it, that's all. And it's actually funny because it serves this purpose even OOCly with regular players, when you think about CPs what do you think about?
    [​IMG]

This. Exactly the point of it, it's known from the beginning that cops are not here to help you but keep you in the way of what you are meant to do within the city. So this has two side effects, both for cops and for Citizens. From one side, it's easier to commit atrocities when you're masked and no one can differ you from another one - from the other side you truly wonder if these guys are really with you after all and what are they and what can they do beside beating you for the sake of doing it.

Beside, what tells you the cop that got you beaten the last day is not going to be the one to you will interact with the next day? Nothing.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  10. Ond

Ond Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Just because you're wearing a gasmask doesn't mean what you're doing is any easier lmao

Glorified murder doesn't become easier just because they can't see your face. It just shelters you from consequence of your actions by the hands of rebels.

It's not difficult to differentiate between people wearing gasmasks if you know what you're looking for either. Height, speech, method of movement and voice makes it a (although not simple) less complicated process than people like to pretend

The only reason CPs are "oo scary" is because they have a license to kill if they think it's justified. Not because you can't see their face. Besides, them wearing masks 24/7 is only because of the rule of cool.

• nebulous nebulous x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. GothTrad

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Yes it does? It's actually the principle of it, doing something without any consequences of being even judged by someone, being ashamed by one. You're nothing but a mask among a whole force of it. That's exactly the point, glorified murder become easier because no one will ever know you have done it. Even then the history shows us how much the human can be cruel when he knows there's not gonna be any consequences to its acts - or believes there will be none. Why do you think people wear masks for comitting crimes in real life lol? Fear of consequences thus making their criminal acts easier to accomplish because they feel nameless, impersonnal, they feel safe to do so.

It is hard to differ them when there are a lot of CPs and not only ten within the whole city wearing the same gear with maybe few of them wearing different ones that can be noted. You're not a hitman lol, you don't stand by a cop noting on your secret paper all its movements and wait for this for a year until you can figure it out which is which. The first thing that came to my superior mind when we did our CBRN exercise with hazmat suits was the fact that no one could be differed by ranks apart from the fact master corporals were wearing radios at the least, so you couldn't tell who is who and couldn't get shit talked at.

So that's the only reason OOCly perhaps? Or you don't realize how much people minds can be twisted into a dictature to a point they would submit whatever are the cost. The simple fact of getting a free beating is enough to scare most of a population, then you got the few strong minds that eventually will be either scared by the 'license to kill' as you say or will join a resistance movement mostly because fear pushes you to hatred if you want to survive. You'd be surprised to see how much humans are still animals when it comes to these strong emotions.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. dee pixel

Nebulae:
    what makes em scary is the fact that they are, at least on paper, state-sponsored thugs with no accountability and a whole arsenal to play with

they really aren’t as scary as you’d like to believe, though. you try to play them like some weird robotic honor guard that only goes after people who break laws.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. bubblegum

bubblegum chick in vegas
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I kind of agree and disagree. When you have anonymity, you feel less accountable for your actions. I agree with the rule of cool thing but I also think it makes sense to wear your little soviet larp costume. If it's ridiculous, it's ridiculous on purpose imo. The CP outfit looked really stupid, in a good narrative way, in Half Life: Alyx.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  14. dingbat

dingbat Molecule

Nebulae:
    Why does it look stupid? It looks just like any uniform.

15. bubblegum

bubblegum chick in vegas
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    It's really bulky and I didn't realize how plastic-y the mask was.

16. Ond

Ond Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    must be shit at recognizing people then lol

when we did ours i had no trouble identifying who was who purely by voice and the way they moved around but i guess that is just down to memory
    makes 0 sense to walk around with a gasmask and filter 24/7

you'll kill the filter before you'll ever need it, limit your visibility and shooting ability and limit your physical endurance as well

it'd be a lot more realistic if they just wore balaclavas or something instead, opting to put on the gasmask whenever needed

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  17. bubblegum

bubblegum chick in vegas
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    true shit i didn't think about that. you're right that is pretty stupid then lol.

make em wear hoods!!!

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  18. GothTrad

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Thing is that it was a lot of people each from other companies and shit, so for the most we didn't knew each others before.

Now on the matter of gasmask if we talk about realism... to be 100% honest yeah. Unless if you switch your filter every day, but that is one huge waste of resources.Talking about physical endurance it's gonna be altered as well that is more than sure by the way the gasmask works. When it comes to shooting ability I don't know. I'll be more than likely to say that they get used to it, as much as soldiers during world war one wearing their masks - sure it actually restricts your field of view but if you practice the shooting with it, should be good imo. We got the SAS units that did a great job during the attack of the iranian embassy, eh.

19. r0nni

r0nni Du blir' trampet ned for de ting du ik' forstod
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    The thing is it's not very Half Life-ish if we aren't using the same Civil Protection Models etc. utilized in the games. In my opinion, it doesn't always have to make sense and be realistic, after all, we're trying to re-create a video game.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  20. PilotBland

PilotBland community antagonizer

Nebulae:
    can i ask like if people can recognize eachother so fucking well through masks and just 'heh just stare at his mannerisms' then why does in hl:a
    literally the ota, the super human soldiers come to do shit literally didn't even recognize eli vance (ACCORDING TO RUSSEL SAYING THAT THEY DIDN'T RECOGNIZE HIM AND ONCE THEY DO HE'S DEAD, according to russel)

literally everyone in half life is a clueless goober for the sake of story, and you know what? LET'S TAKE THIS IN THE SERVER.

IT'D BE A LOT BETTER IF YOU DIDN'T MEMORIZE EVERY MINUTE DETAIL OF SOMEONE TO IDENTIFY THEM LATER ON. YOU SHOULDN'T REMEMBER A RANDOM MANS VOICE MONTHS LATER TO SHOOT THEM DEAD, YOU DIDN'T TAKE NOTE OF THE WAY THEY JIGGLE THEIR HIPS UNLESS THEY'RE HOT

PLEASE, STOP ROLEPLAYING YOUR CHARACTERS AS GODS AND ALLOW FOR A STORY TO HAPPEN BY FORGETTING THINGS

STUPID FUCKS

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice