Half Life: A Place In The West Troubleshooting

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
[If you want a TLDR to just try and fix my problem or help me somehow, skip to the bottom]

So, at christmas I bought Half life a place in the west cause everyone was raving about it and I got a steam coupon and didn't know what to spend my left over money with, so I went and got it with all the DLC because why not.

I'm struggling to sleep, so I launch it at long last to find it acting... weird, to say the least. It loaded fine, but I could tell it wasn't right. As in, it was a blend of not the right resolution and the right resolution. It filled my screen perfectly fine but steam pop ups like friends joining games wasn't in the right spot. So I did the usual process of going into the options in assumption I'd find some kind of resolution setting and all I could find was an option for fullscreen or windowed, which didn't help. I checked the other tabs and found squat so I was just like "well fuck it" and went out and started reading.

About ten or so pages in I was like "Hold on, in the settings there was shit mentioning music and buttons to lower the volume and skip songs, but there's no music?", so I quit out the game and relaunch it to go back onto the main menu and I'm met by a black main menu and I'm unable to press anything other than quit. The game acknowledges the fact my cursor is over the buttons but doesn't allow me to use them though it works fine for quit.

An example of the menu is this:
Nvjx6SV.png

So I validate the files and find nothing wrong and so I search the forums and find that some computers had problems with launching the game and that they should try launching in Windows Vista Service Pack 2 compatibility mode as an administrator. So I google how the fuck to do that on steam and I get told this:
"set__COMPAT_LAYER=VISTASP2 RUNASADMIN"

I try that, nothing. I try "-windowed" to see if that makes a difference, nothing.

I'm at a loss and I'd actually like to read the comic so if someone knows a fix, hit me up.

[TLDR: Picture above, can't press anything but quit, no launch options seem to work, need suggestions or fixes]