Help with S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Erid

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I'm looking to get into STALKER, I've tried it previously, starting with attempting to follow the release dates when it comes to which game to play which directed me towards Shadow Of Chernobyl, though I got bored real fast as I felt disconnected and barely had any idea what the fuck was going on.
So now I'm downloading Call of Pripyat, hopefully the newer games fixed the issues I had with the old.
Seeing as I'm oblivious to the entire series I need help with two questions:
  1. I'm currently downloading the MISERY mod, should I?
  2. (For Russian speakers) I heard that the English translation really takes away from the game's quality, I know Russian, so should I play it in Russian? Or should I stick to English as it doesn't matter? My preference is English though it'll barely effect me if I have to use Russian instead, my main worry is the quality of the voice acting.
Thanks.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
You're going to have less of an understanding about what's going on in Pripyat if you don't go through SoC first.

Not to mention you're going to spoil the events of the first game.

snork

Красная армия всех сильней
Nebulae
Try to finish Shadow of Chernobyl before playing any other game, it is a old game, but when you understand the tone of the game and some Russian culture, I'd say you'd understand a bit more about who, when, where and how.

If you know Russian fluently, play Stalker with Russian speakers, sit near a campfire with other Stalkers, and wait until they start telling jokes.

If you don't give a fuck about story, just dive straight into Misery.

Erid

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
This game barely explains fucking anything and just throws you into the fray, then I just get fucking slaughtered by some random enemy without knowing what the fuck it even was or what the fuck even just happened.

And please tell me there's a way to improve the trash gunplay?

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
This game barely explains fucking anything and just throws you into the fray, then I just get fucking slaughtered by some random enemy without knowing what the fuck it even was or what the fuck even just happened.

The whole point of SoC is that you kill a few bandits, do some minor quests and then discover what's going on while shooting mutants and people with SMG's.

The gunplay mostly stays the same with or without mods. You have to adjust to the style.

Reactions: List

Keef

Neutrino
Nebulae
Autumn Aurora or the ELITE mod helps with the experience for stalker shoc (atleast for me), But if you don't care about lore then by all means jump into the misery mod and have a blast

All Adm*ns are Bastards

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
misery is absolute garbage avoid at all costs
[doublepost=1506607473][/doublepost]soc is better than cop turn back now and play it. also if you know russian then there's so many more fantastic ultraslav mods for soc

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
get call of misery if you want
its misery and that mod that puts all the stalker maps together

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
misery is absolute garbage avoid at all costs
[doublepost=1506607473][/doublepost]soc is also better than cop turn back now and play it

depends on the mods but I do agree

the story of strelok is better and more entertaining than just running around pripyat (which is smaller than CoP) as a random ukranian major fresh from battlefields of Donetsk

All Adm*ns are Bastards

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
depends on the mods but I do agree

the story of strelok is better and more entertaining than just running around pripyat (which is smaller than CoP) as a random ukranian major fresh from battlefields of Donetsk

it deeply saddens me how the world and story in cop are just so much more bland compared to soc

Subleader

Proton
Nebulae
If Stalker SoC --> mod Autumn Aurora.
If stalker clear sky --> Faction war
If stalker Call of pripyat --> Misery.

And if you want more, you have CoC, sandbox with the three maps game plus additionals.

York

Electron
Nebulae
MISERY is true to it's namesake, don't play unless you enjoy worse dark souls difficulty scaling. But if you enjoy survival elements it's pretty fucking sweet and very well made.

Russian for serious gameplay experience

English for CHEEKI BREEKI BROOOO

zoid

dispatch guy
Nebulae

Basically you're a STALKER/Loner (a phrase coined for inhabitants who do not align themselves with any faction) inside the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. To give some background, sometime after the Chernobyl Nuclear Meltdown a mysterious event occurred which brought forth the existence of anomalies and artifacts (mysterious, animated glowing "rocks" which are able to grant an individual with a super-natural power, the more dangerous the anomaly the better the artifact and its effect). Anomalies effected the entire area, being as menial as a small ripple in space time that would blast you with force if you touched it to a full on contained tornado that causes you to vaporize.

People from all nations come to the Zone, illegally or through a back door deal with the corrupt military. Some come for the immense fortune of selling artifacts to the highest bidder, a life where there are no rules and to invest in a small wasteland, or to evade from a warrant or criminal record. Either way, the Zone is filled with many factions which you'll have to meet yourself as well as a ton of mutated enemies, bandits, and deadly anomalies.

You are a mysterious survivor known as the Marked One being transported on a "death truck" until it is destroyed by an anomaly. You're healed back to health by a shop owner with no memory of who you are. The shop owner hands you your PDA to reveal there's only one objective, find and kill a STALKER named Strelok.

And that's where it begins, live in the Zone completing missions and shit, think of something like Fallout with one main story plot line and a ton of side quests along the way. Your true objective is to find Strelok and get answers about the person you were.

Play the games in order, as each game follows the plot and mechanics of the other. You'll be even more lost if you jump out of order.

As for the gunplay, there are probably some mods out there to help, it's a pretty old game so expect a fuck ton of difficulty and game issues. Personal tip, save very frequently.

Last edited: