HL2RP² Lore Questions Thread

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Premium Member
Nebulae
I like that idea too, but I think a forum-sided one to help segue players who haven't been on the server for a minute to still keep in touch with things they're characters would still know (because it's not like their characters suddenly left the area when they disconnected) would still benefit people greatly.

I think considering the amount of communication that exists within the server between characters it would be rather odd to have this. You can approach nearly anyone and ask and they'll tell you.

Like, we've never needed this for everyone to be informed about what is going on and I'm kind of glad we have that dynamic going on tbf, wouldn't like to cut those small-talk sessions short because everyone knows every bit already and that somehow keeps them from asking about.

Reactions: List

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
I think considering the amount of communication that exists within the server between characters it would be rather odd to have this. You can approach nearly anyone and ask and they'll tell you.

Like, we've never needed this for everyone to be informed about what is going on and I'm kind of glad we have that dynamic going on tbf, wouldn't like to cut those small-talk sessions short because everyone knows every bit already and that somehow keeps them from asking about.

That's totally fair! I haven't been playing as much as I did during launch so you guys are gonna obviously know what works best. I'm just someone who thinks RP communities benefit from OOC communication on stuff like that.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Premium Member
Nebulae
That's totally fair! I haven't been playing as much as I did during launch so you guys are gonna obviously know what works best. I'm just someone who thinks RP communities benefit from OOC communication on stuff like that.

Big events and things that are general knowledge will be published anyways as someone IC can tell you what is going on but they're probably not going to give you a 2 month rundown of the server after you come from university exams.

For the little rumours and stories, it's rare to see someone ask "hey what's up" or "yo what happened to x place" and someone to not reply.

PepicWalrus

Electron
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
are there chances for combine to win this battle? if so what would happen?
I will not be saying much but the way I work when I start a story is I have the ending in mind. When we get to a conclusion event (which will not be for a long long time) it will be outlined with clear objectives for both sides and two endings will be created. The ultimate outcome of this fight will be player determined. So yes, there is a chance the Combine can win, but also one for the resistance to win.

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
I will not be saying much but the way I work when I start a story is I have the ending in mind. When we get to a conclusion event (which will not be for a long long time) it will be outlined with clear objectives for both sides and two endings will be created. The ultimate outcome of this fight will be player determined. So yes, there is a chance the Combine can win, but also one for the resistance to win.
can we have 5 different endings? i want a johnny silverhand ending

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
After the RP guidance thread for transhuman characters, I got curious about one detail.
- Utilize your enhanced strength to overpower singular opponents in hand-to-hand/melee combat
How much does this apply to vortigaunts as said opponents? I'm not really sure to what extent the natural strength of greenies can go (in Ep2 they can rip live headcrabs off zombines and fold antlions like lawnchairs, which seems relatively impressive) - even less so for transhumans.
Edit: Not speaking from a place of something elaborate like power levels. I just think that such an encounter would be hella cool in terms of RP - but it'd probably be a life-or-death situation with very high stakes, which might add to the OOC tension for either fighter.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
After the RP guidance thread for transhuman characters, I got curious about one detail.

How much does this apply to vortigaunts as said opponents? I'm not really sure to what extent the natural strength of greenies can go (in Ep2 they can rip live headcrabs off zombines and fold antlions like lawnchairs, which seems relatively impressive) - even less so for transhumans.
Edit: Not speaking from a place of something elaborate like power levels. I just think that such an encounter would be hella cool in terms of RP - but it'd probably be a life-or-death situation with very high stakes, which might add to the OOC tension for either fighter.

not keen on this being part of a guideline or recommended to roleplayers
lets not beat around the bush it's just encouraging/allowing powergaming

i don't care how juiced up your character is, i will laugh in your fucking face the moment you go into OOC to demand i lose a fight to you
P2L goes both ways and the only result of a fight in which both participants are actually playing 2 lose is a tie

Nebulae

Probably about equal/vortigaunt advantage considering the feats they're capable of in HL:A

i don't care how juiced up your character is, i will laugh in your fucking face the moment you go into OOC to demand i lose a fight to you
P2L goes both ways and the only result of a fight in which both participants are actually playing 2 lose is a tie

To be fair its only really come into play in one situation and that involved a few cops doing a silly coup and there was absolutely no other way to contain the situation

Beyond that it just never happens because of all the S2K

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

Its not so much superhuman strength I imagine, but probably all things added up

You don’t have to be strong when your battle weight is around 130kg, your weight and corresponding momentum is enough in a lot of cases

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
please stop giving lore answers in the thread specifically designated for lore QUESTIONS, thank you. lore questions are not meant to be answered, otherwise this would be the lore ANSWERS thread.

Sincerely The Lore Team ,.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
please stop giving lore answers in the thread specifically designated for lore QUESTIONS, thank you. lore questions are not meant to be answered, otherwise this would be the lore ANSWERS thread.

Sincerely The Lore Team ,.
how about i fucking kill you how about that

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Premium Member
Nebulae

Nobody should have to demand you OOCly to "lose" if you are properly playing to lose understanding your character's limitations and the adversary's advantages (and also their limitations)

Would I go into hand-to-hand combat with a combine soldier as a human? Hell the fuck no unless my char is a 6'7 gymbro (or I am not fighting alone, even so while I get help I may get my face Picasso'd)

Would I go into hand-to-hand combat with a combine soldier as a vortigaunt? Probably yes as I most likely have around a 50/50 chance with them, bit more if I make use of my space magician powers

Tyrone

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae

180 kg charges you wyd

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Would I go into hand-to-hand combat with a combine soldier as a human? Hell the fuck no unless my char is a 6'7 gymbro (or I am not fighting alone, even so while I get help I may get my face Picasso'd)
fighting hand-to-hand = you lose
fighting with a machete while the soldier is fighting hand-to-hand = soldier loses an arm, bleeds out, epic win

fight dirty or don't fight at all

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
fighting hand-to-hand = you lose
fighting with a machete while the soldier is fighting hand-to-hand = soldier loses an arm, bleeds out, epic win

fight dirty or don't fight at all
you can't really cut through kevlar with a machete like that man

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Premium Member
Nebulae
you can't really cut through kevlar with a machete like that man

you can't even cut through an arm like that

regardless it is true having some sort of weapon you can aim for the weak spots in the armor and stuff like that

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
you can't even cut through an arm like that

regardless it is true having some sort of weapon you can aim for the weak spots in the armor and stuff like that
you'd defo need like an axe or something else with similar weight and momentum to do it semi-reliably but its like chopping wood, just a but more difficult because of all the "juice" inside

you don't aim for "weak spots" when in a knife/machete fight bro you just swing it and hope you hit the other guy more than he hits you

its rough motor skills that are in use at that point, unless you have 1000 hours + under your belt of practicing fine motor skills in sparring

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Premium Member
Nebulae
you don't aim for "weak spots" when in a knife/machete fight bro you just swing it and hope you hit the other guy more than he hits you

ye i meant like ideally ofc

during a fight it's nigh impossible to do anything proper