HL2RP Pet Peeves 2: Electric Didgeridoo

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by Glennicus Magicallicus, Apr 3, 2020.

1. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton

Nebulae:
    the more artsy ones are at least memorable.

i’ll take them over some dime a dozen “5’11 caucasian male, their armor, gun, their their they, scar on cock”

• nebulous nebulous x 13
  2. maxi

maxi maxiboy

Nebulae:
    i like the artsy ones, IMO sign of someone that could be a good roleplayer and fun to be around

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  3. dee pixel

Nebulae:
    not only that, it gives you an idea of who the character is. sorta like letting you know what to expect, what the interaction's gonna be like.

and yeah i guess it's hard for the cops to track down someone who has a description like that, but how often does that become a problem? why is that the immediate concern? and are we really gonna pretend that copy-pasting somebody's physdesc is good roleplay?

• nebulous nebulous x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mute

Mute Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    its not the biggest concern it just pisses me off

thats why i posted it here, on the pet peeves thread

5. Merlinsclaw

Merlinsclaw Risen From Ruins
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    1) Yeah, I'd rather have 'hatred of coal miners' over |big cock|6'1|scar and tattoo| any day. I see it so much it makes me want to dome myself.

2) Running a restaurant has made me realize how bad people view stores. I've tried to seat people and be like 'would you like a booth or a table' and they just go 'well i just want to see the menu' and then take their script and run off.

3) People who recreate the same character. Whether this be over multiple servers with the exact same personality or otherwise. Make a unique character, please. I honestly can't tell the difference from one person to the next because of |large cock|scar and tatto|female cutie|. It's why I like descriptions and unique characters like what cns played. You'll always remember Prince Archie of Kent who fucking hates coal miners but I couldn't tell you the difference from half of the characters I've seen

• nebulous nebulous x 8
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. dee pixel

Nebulae:
    normally i give the benefit of the doubt. a bad desc doesn't immediately equate to a bad character. but a lot of these guys are identical not only in description and appearance, but demeanor as well. if i didn't recognize anyone, i wouldn't be able to tell the lot of them apart.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • nebulous nebulous x 1
  7. HBaguette

HBaguette bitchmade

Nebulae:
    creatively written shortdescs are great but theyre a massive fucking pain in the ass when trying to describe them to someone
    "Officer! A woman with eyes that burned like hot coals stole my ration!"
    "<:: What. ::>"

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. '77 East

'77 East Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Biggest mistake people make.

If your character dies, explore new potential. Don't try rehashing the same shit over and over thinking you'll "get lucky" next time and fade out into a mediocre mess. That is, if you aren't murdered.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  9. nexus

nexus barbecue chips aint shit
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator Media Developer

Nebulae:
    worst case if you can't describe someone by their bodygroups recite their description. "looks like the kind of guy who hates the working class".
    can also describe the features of a ref pic

i feel like small avant garde descriptions tell far more about someone when they're done right than seeing STANDARD MAN WITH BLUE SUIT AVERAGE HEIGHT, yeah mate figured that out by looking at you didn't I

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  10. Appetite Ruining Kebab

Appetite Ruining Kebab `impulse-approved
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    there's also the issue of chatbox descriptions

90% of the time i dont directly look and read a person's full desc i just go off of the 16 characters that the chat condenses them into. having that space occupied by a distinctive set of words helps me pick out who's who, especially nice when you're dealing with cops

in the end i think the argument of gameplay can be levied both ways and is thus invalid.

just do what is cool

11. jb

jb `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    i feel like i remember a server that had voice descriptions for the chatbox but that might just be a fever dream i had

12. '77 East

'77 East Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    it was a clockwork plugin, novabox had it at one point.

13. Reggie

Reggie fresh prince of baghdad

Nebulae:
    hey guys, don cheadle here. my worst pet-peeve are people that drive too slow in the left lane.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  14. Romeo

Romeo Molecule

Nebulae:
    i'm guilty of it admittedly but only because i think conveying the character's demeanor and disposition is more important than the supernumerary height/skin color/accent repetition boogaloo. it plays more towards a reader's imagination, allowing them to fill in the gaps for themselves.

reference pictures can do the rest

• nebulous nebulous x 9
  15. Tony The Booze

Tony The Booze Neutrino

Nebulae:
    people walking up to me, staring at me, then doing nothing, then walking away.

also typing in something for it to just be completely unacknowledged, these all make me feel like a pussy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HBaguette

HBaguette bitchmade

Nebulae:
    people walking away while you're in the middle of talking or doing a /me, when you know for a fact they can see you doing it

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  17. Trains

Trains ms paint artist extraordinaire
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    in fairness the typing thing doesn’t always show up it’s annoying

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tinbe

Tinbe Current real-life year + 7 = Current HL2RP IC year

Nebulae:
    Yeah, it's become strangely inconsistent somewhat recently. On some occasions it just doesn't show up, and other times it keeps floating above people's heads even when they're not typing anything.

19. Trains

Trains ms paint artist extraordinaire
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    it never shows up when i’m sitting down

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  20. Goopy

Goopy Molecule

Nebulae:
    just say "/me gives a description of the man in full" and tell them in LOOC their stupid dumb description that appears to players if they wanna act up

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice