Serious HL2RP Screenshot thread

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by cns - he/him/his, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    you might as well be talking about ancient sumerian history because this mindset was implemented at the very start of LP and fundamentally has not changed until this moment in 2021

i was making the argument that ota needed to be kill-able in 2013 and people mocked me as some non-canon guy (when they were the ones writing google docs about nuclear powered overwatch soldiers that could punch a hole in an APC)

they told me "you can say what you want but it will never change"
    and it didnt

#109801 Dallas, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    • nebulous nebulous x 6
  2. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Oh, I agree. Its existed in HL2RP servers going back before LP, I know.

With how everything worked there wasn't much motivation to change it, I suppose? Especially given the beta grindset everyone was on where shit was extra grimdark and OTA were absolute killing machines for balance.

3. Hunk

Hunk Extraction Point

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

I have seen everything now.

4. Blackquill

Blackquill Administrator
    Head Staff HL2 RP Server Director

Nebulae:
    to be fair, i don't think i've ever put forward the notion that ota were meant to be unkillable

It's more so that they needed to be super strong to fufill their intended purpose on the server. It also rarely got to the point where they would need to be sent out anyway; which if you ask me is a good thing but some might argue it's not

• nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mic15000

Mic15000 The Underdog
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    That said nothing stops us from making some elite tier OTA raid if things really and I mean REALLY go south. While also keeping the more killable grunts around normally to make it fairer

6. verTix

verTix Proton

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

this is what you deal with

7. Trains

Trains ms paint artist extraordinaire
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    they are quite literally just modern, combine-ised soldiers with a funky helmet and a cool uniform

that's it

if the clothing/uniform was a bit less puffy and they just had normal helmets, they'd look pmuch exactly like an average soldier

[​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. verTix

verTix Proton

Nebulae:
    their armor is more cumbersome but more protective (in that it covers more stuff) than the average vest. they can accommodate more plating due to their increased muscle strength. even all that aside they shouldn't be able to tank a magdump.

they're humanity's strongest and most durable soldiers, but their real power comes from their tactics and cohesion which are unmatched by even the most elite spec ops units around the world

OTA had to be powerful because the real endgame enemies like striders and gunships are basically unkillable by your average rebel and so OTA had to fill in that gap. realistically if you took out an OTA squad you would get jumped by hunters and gunships but we don't do that in hl2rp because it would be really lame

at least OTA are still human and still work well gameplay wise

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  9. Subeh

Subeh pitmaster

Nebulae:
    i dont see a problem here sounds pretty based bro

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  10. TommyGman

TommyGman Doomboy / Femguy

Nebulae:
    An OTA soldier with their health mechanics and armor values at 200/200 still dies to about 12/13~ rounds from an MP7 to the chest out of the 45 in your magazine firing at 999rpm, I'd hardly call that unkillable. Headshot multiplier makes this around 5/6 bullets from your fully automatic weapon to wipe out the toughest we can throw at someone. This is also what makes weapons like the AK so scary considering their damage, essentially halving those numbers, and shotguns pretty terrifying at close range when you're facing one down as a soldier getting into a close quarters sweep. Magdumping an OTA and them still surviving is a flat out lie, we have never been immortal, and it's a lie perpetuated through years of no engagements with them, no practical interaction where these numbers can really be put to the test and experienced. If I had to guess it's one that likely originated a long time ago with the whole anti-union mentality and Chinese whispers has run it's course since.

The stigma around OTA and them being this unstoppable force with unnatural stats has also garnered the notion that engaging in S2K with them isn't worth the bullet as they will shrug them off like it's nothing, leading to nobody on the server ever actually going up against them for multiple years nor testing their luck with a firefight, perpetuating the rumour that they're unkillable. On the blue-street riots an Elite OTA was an inch from being killed after being exposed to less than a second of gunfire from around a corner with an MP7 I believe, and no one on the rebel side even realised this and took advantage of it likely believing that soldier must've had two full bars of health and armor because 'transhuman arm stats' were in play.

Match this with the fallacy that the thermal vision swep is wallhacks allowing you to headshot a rebel from the other side of the map for an instant kill somehow ignoring the inaccuracy of our weapons and damage falloff, well, again this is something people can only keep uttering over and over again in their circles ignorant to the reality of things until it becomes what is believed to be fact after so long.

Anyone can kill an OTA and push back a sweep, it requires lots of teamwork, ambushes and the ability to keep your cool, in the event of one happening actually speak to those around you, plan ahead and create the ideal conditions for jumping on a squad coming your way. I can guarantee you'd be treated to the spoils, and that's fair, you kill a soldier you should 100% get their gear regardless of the stigma, you earned it.

To me it feels like a nerf at this point is more of a symbolic gesture to not only show we're willing to cooperate but hopefully have people get involved with the faction more, even if that means being 'involved' by lining a transhuman up in your crosshair sometime, it's something rebels could do all along but have never tried because of this ruse OTA are immortal and the only thing you can do is hide when they're around, and whilst I'm a little upset it might take downscaling some parts of the whitelist to finally get people to give things a shot, I'd rather that than the alternative, the present day, no interaction at all and exclusion from some of the most fun parts of the server, it's events.

#109810 TommyGman, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    • nebulous nebulous x 5
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  11. Numbers

Numbers ok
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    well u have combine elites for that nuclear option, which explains why u so rarely send em out

everyone will love to keep the standardized ota this way for events and shit, since that's all they get used for -anyway-

when the time comes for them to "need to balance server" it's a model set and HP/armor rework away

I just wanted dev work to supplement that

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  12. MaXenzie

MaXenzie Sexually attracted to robots
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    i think back to the story i had written where one part featured a guy beating an OTA in a straight brawl by battering it over the head with 4 chairs and then a table

i wonder how well received it would have been

13. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    I've seen the idea put forward that their vests are actually derived from the PCV's worn by the HECU and other branches of the military pre-cascade (developed by BM) which is how they can eat the shots they take.

As time has gone on I've grown more fond of that idea tbh.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  14. Trains

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    tactics and cohesion ≠ OOCly unkillable

but yeah

to be honest with you, if i wanna nerd out, the pads on their legs and arm probably offer no real ballistic protection

i’m pretty sure real life equivalents of that are really just for shrapnel/protection against bullets exploding when they hit the bodyarmour

maybe OTA actually have slaps of metal strapped to their arms, with all the steroids they’re given it’s probably possible, but fuck that lmao

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Subeh

Subeh pitmaster

Nebulae:
    i think ota should just be T-800's

ota takes his bucket off and there's arnold smiling at you

[​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Obi mastering the stairs was unironically a terrible decision

Mfer comes home from a walk and bumrushes up three flights to steal one of my toys and run back downstairs

Little shit

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  17. Trains

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    stomp on him

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  18. TommyGman

TommyGman Doomboy / Femguy

Nebulae:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MaXenzie

MaXenzie Sexually attracted to robots
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    for some reason molly is only capable of going up the front stairs to our house

the stairs that lead upstairs, she refuses to touch
    she also knows not to go down stairs lest she fall and break her fucking neck

20. verTix

verTix Proton

Nebulae:
    grunts are better than soldiers for passive anyway they can have casual conversations and fuck around

they're like conscripts that can't go rogue. best of both worlds imo...

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice