Serious Hong Kong Protests

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Mancom37, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Mancom37

Mancom37 Nucleus

Nebulae:

Been going for a few days already, thought I would see a thread about it here but since no one wrote it, here I am.

How did the protests unfold?
    The rallies against the extradition bill have been the biggest since Hong Kong was handed back to China by the British in 1997.

On Wednesday, activists tried to storm government buildings and police responded by firing tear gas and rubber bullets at crowds of demonstrators. The protesters also blocked key roads around government buildings and threw bricks and projectiles at police.

What is in the extradition bill?
    The bill allows for extradition requests from authorities in mainland China, Taiwan and Macau for suspects accused of criminal wrongdoing such as murder and rape. The requests would be decided on a case-by-case basis.

The move came after a 19-year-old Hong Kong man allegedly murdered his 20-year-old pregnant girlfriend while they were holidaying in Taiwan together in February last year. The man fled to Hong Kong and could not be extradited to Taiwan because the two do not have an extradition treaty.

--------------------------

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. captain hoovie

captain hoovie Narrative/Lore Manager

Nebulae:
    hey fellas are you ready for NOTHING 2: Electric Boogaloo?

3. Ond

Ond Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

do it china

im fucking itchin

do it

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Postal

Postal Nucleus

Nebulae:
    hong kong protests?

never happened

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mancom37

Mancom37 Nucleus

Nebulae:
    Time to balkanize

6. aperson

aperson Molecule

Nebulae:
    everyone a gangsta until the roofs start speaking english

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tera

tera Atom

Nebulae:
    free hk

8. Tzula

Tzula Molecule
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    is there a Livestream of this?

9. Mancom37

Mancom37 Nucleus

Nebulae:
    China Uncensored was doing those at the start but now idk, you can try to go in some Chan where dudes livestream it from time to time but the mainland has been fucking around with the internet connection there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Tzula

Tzula Molecule
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    Thanks, I really feel like this more than enough history in the making, wanna see it up close.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ond

Ond Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Mancom37

Mancom37 Nucleus

Nebulae:

Honorary waifus

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dallahan

dallahan a bad memer
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    not particularily a fan of hong kong but ive read some stuff that drove to this

im pretty sad at the government at the way they try to defuse this situation against peaceful protests

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Administrator Media Developer

Nebulae:
    faggoty pepe protests

15. tera

tera Atom

Nebulae:
    guys nothing is going to happen soon dont worry

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Poopship McGee

Poopship McGee Old Stock Canadian
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I was going to support the independence and freedom of Hong Kong...

Until I found out they were a bunch of racists xenophobes donning Pepe the Racist Frog signs.

They can get rolled over by tanks for all I care.

Seriously though, I believe that Hong Kong should get a referedum, but HAH! FAT CHANCE! I don't know how HK will find their liberty, but it'll get worse before it gets better.. and whether it gets better, is a big if.

It would be wise for the world to unite and sanction China if anything major occurs. If every nation within the West, considering I know many Eastern countries won't do anything to help HK, boycotted/sanction China, I'm sure we would ensure misery on China as a state, as they have ensured misery for those in HK.

Sad situation to be in, but an extradition bill would completely fuck up HK's political system, assuming China were to use it in order to persecute political enemies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    protests getting fired on with tear gas and rubber bullets

this is literally nothing new anywhere in the globe

until it becomes tiananmen square part 2, hk boogaloo, then i think we can all chill yea

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. tera

tera Atom

Nebulae:
    Most of eastern nations hate China actually.

Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, etc.
    I'm fairly certain around half of these nations have more of a favorable look on the west compared to China.

China keeps spreading their influence over our economy and territories, trying to assert their dominance on the Asian sphere. I can tell you, the general populace of most of these countries dislike China. But not much we can do about considering China is the largest trading partner in Asian sphere.

Many of my ethnic Chinese friends (myself included) in Malaysia despise Mainland China's government, at least that's what I hear of.

#18 tera, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  19. aperson

aperson Molecule

Nebulae:
    China is really trying to overtake Japan in being the most hated country in asia

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tera

tera Atom

Nebulae:
    Imo, I think HK should be independent from the beginning when released from the United Kingdom considering the fact that they have quite the different of ideals, culture and administrative systems already different from mainland China which has been largely shaped by the communist ideals. But obviously, that would have never happened due to base distance between China and Hong Kong. They even have their own dialects/language which is predominantly Cantonese and English. I have an ethnic Chinese friend from HK who speaks fluent English with a distinctive British accent and Cantonese with a bit of Mandarin.

I wouldn't mind if they're part of China under that 'one country, two systems' but the fact is China is trying to mainlandize them as much as they can with their ideals by:

- Enforcing censorship and propaganda in their media press and social media. Their press freedom has been declining for quite some time now due to ownership changes in the media industry in Hong Kong which are mostly pro-Chinese figures or Chinese figures themselves.
    - Language policies, mainland China is forcing the country to adopt Mandarin as an official language despite already having Cantonese and English as their official languages. There's been a substantial decrease among the Cantonese-speakers as Mandarin has been given more importance recently. In 2018, it was stated that Cantonese cannot be used as a mother-tongue language despite it being rather vocationally different than Mandarin. Really, if you know Cantonese, you wouldn't know Mandarin and vice versa. Seriously, I consider it a different language as they're not mutually intelligible compared to the Slav or Nordic languages other than same writings. The same goes for English speakers.
    - Moral and national education is being influenced by Mainland China to increase appraisal to the communist and nationalistic ideals of Communist Party of China while condemning democracy and republicanism.
    - Academic freedom is infringed, notable academic figures associated with pro-democracy ideals are being smeared by communist press, cyber-attacks and persecutions from academic councils which are mostly members of pro-Chinese government elected by Chief Executive
    - Infrastructure integration projects, Mainland China has been developing infrastructures without the consultation of Hong Kong people, connecting Hong Kong more to Mainland China which is seen as a questionable benefit to Hong Kong. Not to mention the environmental impacts as well as high costs which are paid by local taxpayers.
    - Political screening of election candidates, obviously they would put more focus, support and power through direct/indirect ways to get extremely pro-Chinese figures in power.

The extradition bill is an example of mainland China trying to further its authoritarian ideals by suppressing the pro-democracy/anti-China figures in Hong Kong where they can just be arrested and extradited to China without a fair trial if necessary.

Pro-democracy groups fear that Hong Kong would soon just be another 'mainland' city in the future and lose the uniqueness that makes them Hong Kong nation.

I get that some of you may see 'Hong Kong' as part of China and who cares, they're all ethnic Chinese people and should be integrated into mainland China but I disagree. If Hong Kong is part of Mainland China, then Taiwan is also part of Mainland China. So is Malaysia and Singapore for having a huge significant population of ethinic Chinese. Hong Kong's a completely different nation as similar as to Taiwan that is to Mainland China and I honestly think they should be free from Communist Party of China's grip. Singapore worked well as an independent nation so why not Hong Kong too? Both are city nations which prospered on international trade/economy. Both are former British colonies as well. Both are majority ethnic Chinese as well.

pretty much tbh.

#20 tera, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice