Serious House Speaker Pelosi to announce formal impeachment inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by DemonElite, Sep 24, 2019.

1. DemonElite

DemonElite Electron

Nebulae:
    so much noise.

2. friendly

friendly god, syria and bashar

Nebulae:
    can any americans tell me when this whole impeachment thing is due to be over

3. Phantasamancer

Nebulae:
    Depends if it's conducted in the informal capacity that it has been in so far, or if it becomes formal and get tied up in the courts for months. Given that the whitehouse is refusing to cooperate, it'll probably be the later.

4. Smallfries

Smallfries The blind gamer
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Fucking never

5. nnaM sitooP

nnaM sitooP 'Cause I'm a man, woman.

Nebulae:
    I give it less than a month before people start to finally realize nothings happening

6. Satirical

Satirical Proton

Nebulae:
    Trump ain't no Bill Clinton. Impeachment may very well die in the Senate, but that doesn't mean he'll recover his image after it passes the House, especially with FiveThirtyEight (and other sources) showing a growth in national support of the impeachment inquiries against the president.

7. Smallfries

Smallfries The blind gamer
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    It has officially achieved a majority support nationally

I give it a month xdd

8. Larry Gibbons

Nebulae:
    I don't understand how you see it as a distraction that works evidently? He is the sitting president, he is active in his office? He was duly elected using our electoral college system that has been in place for many years? The election was fair?

9. nnaM sitooP

Nebulae:
    I’m not at all surprised that most democrats, who have openly criticized and shown their unbridled hatred for Trump every chance they can, support impeachment

I’m addition, 1. I do not trust anything that comes from the Washington Post and 2. do not believe that a poll conducted with a merely 1,007 people on their phones is reliable or indicative of the other 99.9999999% of the entire US population. The FiveThirtyEight impeachment charts are determined by averaging other polls that all have sample sizes of less than 5,000 people. I’ve never trusted polls, and after the 2016 election I seriously have quit listening to polls entirely considering they are rarely accurate ways to measure true public opinion

10. Tinbe

Tinbe Current real-life year + 7 = Current HL2RP IC year
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I mean, that's kind of how it works? Would you rather the democrats openly criticize and show their unbridled hatred for Trump... and oppose impeachment?

11. nnaM sitooP

Nebulae:
    I’m saying that the support for impeachment is unsurprising and doesn’t mean anything

12. Ond

Ond Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    so you need to be a republican for your wish to impeach to mean anything?

13. Satirical

Satirical Proton

Nebulae:
    I mean, the 2016 election polls weren't wrong. Hillary did actually end up winning the popular vote by more than 3 million. I get she lost in the EC and therefore didn't make it to the White House, but calling the polls wrong such that you stop trusting literally any polls is literally retarded.

Also, did you expect all the 350 or so million people in the US would be surveyed for this data? These were representative samples of voters averaged out to reflect (roughly) what popular opinion looks like. In addition to the president being down nearly 10 points nationally, there's also a steadily increasing rate of support for his impeachment across party lines.

You can keep saying "alalalalalala" whenever poll data comes up, but significant numbers now exist to show support of this process. Whether Congress follows suit is a totally different question (and I doubt the Senate will), but it's not something we can just ignore because "heh.. dem libturds can't even do accurate maffs!"

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Phantasamancer

Nebulae:
    Those same polls showed impeachment favor hovering at around 40% a week ago. These polls didn't become untrustworthy until they had a negative skew against Trump. These same polls also are touted by Trump for his high republican approval rating.

Are all polls just intrinsically untrustworthy? Which polling methods are valid, which invalid? How do you properly survey any datum?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. nnaM sitooP

Nebulae:
    I’m not saying that their wish to impeach him is invalid due to them being democrats, I’m saying it shouldn’t be surprising. Every democrat has jumped on each and every anti-Trump bandwagon thus far, so considering they all want him impeached doesn’t indicate any sort of political shift
    I’ve never trusted polls even before the 2016 election. The election simply reaffirmed and reinforced my distrust. Anyhow, many polls were predicting she’d not only win, but win in a landslide. NYT had her at a 95% chance of winning while FiveThirtyEight gave her a 70% chance. In addition, virtually every poll had her at least 5 points higher than Trump with some having her at 15 points higher
    I expect a larger sample size. It’s simply common sense that the public opinion of a country as diverse as the United States can’t be measured in the single digit thousands
    I’ve yet to see any statistics or significant numbers that aren’t polls, and for the reasons above I have my doubts
    In my eyes, these polls have been untrustworthy forever. If there ever comes a poll that has a sample size of perhaps a few hundred thousand or a million, then I’ll give it more credit

16. Phantasamancer

Nebulae:
    If you just don't trust the concept of a poll, then fair enough...I'm not sure what this means for your view of our electoral system, but as long as you're consistent.

To buttress Satirical's point about the 2016 election polls, no credible poll put Hillary's chances of winning at 100%. All credible polls acknowledged an avenue for Trump to win the election. The fact that he did end up winning doesn't mean the odds of his victory were more probable than the polls let on, unless you can point out why their standard of deviation should have been a lot higher than reported.

If I had a poll that showed the likelihood of me flipping a coin 10 times and having it turn up heads every time was overwhelmingly low, that fact isn't disproven if you manage to flip a coin and have it turn up heads every single time. It just means that the improbable happened.

As for low sample sizes. That kind of comes with the territory. It is exceedingly hard to muster a large amount of participants for polls reacting to daily news. This doesn't mean the polls are wrong. Pollsters factor in the margin for error just in case they run a string of bias participants. Pollster's continued business relies on them having factual and statistically relevant data, otherwise they wouldn't be used as a source by universities and researches, on whom their funding depends. I would always trust a poll, even with a small sample size, before deferring to the expertise of antisjwclownworld88 on youtube.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Phantasamancer

Nebulae:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice