How did you get into Gmod and HL2/Source in general

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
Nine years ago in 2014, 10-year-old me was drooling over my Windows 8 laptop which my Gran and Grandad got for me Christmas watching DanTDM review Minecraft mods when I came across this video.

After watching some other Gmod vids from him, I convinced my mum to buy me it a month later and then basically became an Ipad baby for this dog shit game. I didn't even play multiplayer for a long time, just fucked around in sandbox because I was a literal child.

After watching a lot of Gmod vids, I started getting TF2 content recommended to me and once when I showed my Mum some of the Valve Meet the team videos, she noticed the "FREE TO PLAY FOREVER" ads, so I got TF2 and played that as well.

From there I found Portal, I used to watch Harry harry101uk Portal music videos and asked to get it for Christmas, so I actually got Portal 2 and the OrangeBox for the Xbox360 even though I literally had a laptop that could play it.

I was dog shit at HL2 and Portal 1 because I was retarded so I never played them, only Portal 2.

The only reason I bought HL2, EP1, EP2, CS:S, CS:GO and L4D1 and 2 was because I needed them for Gmod to fix the textures, but I ended up falling into the pit of HL2 lore because I was into that kind of stuff and it spiralled from there.

I wanted to play HL2RP for a while but again I was retarded and couldn't figure out how to find a good server but I managed to find Apex Semi-Serious HL2RP and played that for about a year before I was perma-banned and migrated fully to Nebulous after a random gmod friend told me about it.

How did you get into this shit?

Reactions: List

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Through my Dad, he installed steam on the family computer and from there, I discovered Half life 2 and Minecraft and GMod etc... hooked on zombie survival gamemodes

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I played Gmod briefly in I wanna say 2011-2012? Joined some random HL2RP server that I think was actually TnB for 30 mins but my PC was so shit it couldn't run it. Forgot it for a few years then when I got a "better" PC for college (it was also actually ass) the only game it could really run that I had in my library at the time was Gmod.

I was also really big into RP as my main hobby at the time and HL2RP SeriousRP was the first I found. Started on a small server with @MaXenzie then from there (when that went tits up) to LP. Rest is history.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I played Gmod briefly in I wanna say 2011-2012? Joined some random HL2RP server that I think was actually TnB for 30 mins but my PC was so shit it couldn't run it. Forgot it for a few years then when I got a "better" PC for college (it was also actually ass) the only game it could really run that I had in my library at the time was Gmod.

I was also really big into RP as my main hobby at the time and HL2RP SeriousRP was the first I found. Started on a small server with @MaXenzie then from there (when that went tits up) to LP. Rest is history.

i might've been the first person you ever RP'd with on gmod lmao

i was on my CP standing directly outside the nexus, and you approached on a citizen and said hi

Nebulae
Pre order Portal 2 as your first game,
wait for the release date hyped like kid that dies to play his first steam virtual purchase,
must buy an entertaining time distractor meanwhile I wait,
Buy TF2 + Gmod pack
Play till portal 2 releases = tf2 + gmod blessed experience

portal 2 releases, graphic card too weak to even open the game.

then lemon punch blew my mind,
the moment I saw a random script spawn in some dump spot, I was convinced this is an open world experience RPG, with the way everything went around, and this environmental loot.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
then lemon punch blew my mind,
the moment I saw a random script spawn in some dump spot, I was convinced this is an open world experience RPG, with the way everything went around, and this environmental loot.
I stood outside the I17 plaza for 15 minutes the first time I joined LP because I read the map decal saying "you need an ID" and didn't realise it was just decoration lmao.

Watching PT's of cops march around and a full plaza felt unreal.

contained postal dude

returned, for real this time
Premium Member
Nebulae
I started playing Gmod in 2009, when I was 9 years old. Mainly played sandbox servers, darkrp, that kind of shit. Think I started playing HL2RP around 2010/2011? Been hooked on it since lol. It's how I met a lot of my close friends, oddly enough.

Nebulae
I stood outside the I17 plaza for 15 minutes the first time I joined LP because I read the map decal saying "you need an ID" and didn't realise it was just decoration lmao.

Watching PT's of cops march around and a full plaza felt unreal.
a live simulation of humans living a virtual life in a game was surreal back at 2012 / 2013
doing workshifts, interacting, city ''running itself''
loot spawning naturally as if it was normal.
all that you enter in the first person

can you imagine

(i used to believe back then, that if you say to someone your name, they automatically see your name. wtf is f3?)
such mystery that gamemode was.
but in the end, it was all just our own wonderful human imagination.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
Before I had a home computer, circa 2006, I used to spend a lot of time at the Local Library. With a library card I was able to spend one hour a day on the Internet for free - and I used to use this to play these brand new browser games called 'Club Penguin' and 'Roblox' with random kids I'd meet at the Library. My brother used to play Runescape with the older kids, and I noticed one of them watching videos for a game called 'Half Life 2'.

The Graphics blew me away. I asked my dad about the game, and as it turned out he had it for the Original Xbox which he got around release (Before he had an xbox 360), so naturally I played through it. By Christmas 2007, I got my hands on the Orange Box and I played it to death - literally - the disk broke. We had to buy a second copy of the Orange box.

disc.PNG

Around 2009, I had learnt about Garry's Mod through Wiremod Tutorials and funny animations posted on youtube. The first ones I remember being these videos:

And although I never had a powerful enough PC at the time (I could only play games like Alien Vs Predator 2 and Sacred Gold at the time) - I was always watching and engaging with Garry's mod Content on youtube. It wasn't until 2012 where my Dad got a new work PC and gave me his old PC that I could actually play some games on it, and created my first steam account (Which eventually got lost due to various reasons) leading me in 2014 to create a new account and continue playing garry's mod/Tf2 etc (among other games). I played all sorts, Deathrun, TTT, Prophunt, Melonbomber you get the idea.

It was around Late 2014, Early 2015 - I was trying to find another Military RP server (Which was very DarkRP Esque) since the one I liked playing was shut down, and I came across a single server. "Lemon Punch - WW3RP". The rest is history.

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
Had been into TF2 because it is free since 2019. Discovered a little later about Gmod and such, getting fascinated and thinking of getting it.

Broke. As. Hell.

Time skip, it is late 2022... I had gained access to Gmod through my smaller bro's gift, and coincidentally, I got a PC that could run mostly anything with a little struggle.
Got my first taste of Gmod at last.
Turned 18, and was given access to a card... First thing I thought was making poor financial decisions.
Got Gmod (As a gift from a neb lad), HL2 and other Source games as I got the sales.

Why am I here?

Timeless (And spaghetti) engine! Now I make Source stuff I never thought I could be capable of doing.

Let's say I am barely beginning my journey, unlike most of you, who seem to have enjoyed your time, or have ended their view into the program behind the program that brings us into this strange place.

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
My dad got me gmod on sale, probably bc my favourite unturned ytber who played on rp servers also made gmod content. Think it was RoboKast

From there I went to a prisonrp server, then a small hl2rp server where i distinctively remember bugging @Aspect™ about my cp app which got me blocked

Then onto Combine Control for a year or two, and then a break after it died and then stasiland here when Jackround/square invited me

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
Saw a video of the Hammer Editor on YouTube in like 2011 or smth, and really wanted to try it. I needed a source game so I asked my parents if they could buy me the Orange Box on my laptop. Didn’t really get anywhere with it though cause making maps is ridiculously difficult. I played Portal 1 and 2 on the Xbox 360 aswell.

Then I saw some Gmod gameplay in 2012 and my dad bought me the Garry’s Mod and CSS bundle, although I never played anything HL2RP related till 2017/18 on Apex. A friend of mine then introduced me to SeriousRP and I‘ve been here ever since.

sots

community bear
Nebulae

saw this video, got onto gmod and played about 300 hours of darkrp

joined lemonpunch for about a day or two in 2015 or something

three years later i had a random thought like "wow, that hl2rp server was kinda funny. wonder if its still around" saw that it wasn't, and just joined the most popular server for hl2rp at the time, which happened to be neb. wow.

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
saw gmod 9 gameplay and soyed

i got into hl2rp because i was curious about it and ended up joining... exontic gaming... in like 2013

if only harry was here still

Zack

Proton
Nebulae
My mom and dad introduced me to gaming when I was rly young
Started off with shit like Serious Sam, Stronghold, Warcraft, and eventually HL2
Later my dad got me CSS and Gmod, he also showed me HL2RP

My first day involved me hitting a scanner and getting executed, I had a bunch of fun and kept playing

Mads

Proton
Nebulae
Back when I was young and played lots of minecraft, one of my favorite danish youtubers played with some of his friends on gmod_flatgrass and just fooled around. I bought the game shortly after that, and eventually found Trouble in Terrorist Town, Zombie Escape, etc.

I think the first semi-serious HL2RP server I played on was Combine Control. Then in 2015 I found the LemonPunch community where I fully disregarded the HL2 server and opted for the WW3RP server where i spend the small sum of about 1000 - 1500 hours on the server until
The incident."

Rise and fall of Nebulous WW3RP + HL2RP in the span of a few years, and I never really get hooked on Nebulous HL2RP. It just never fit me. Then, boom - HL2RP (2), and I fell in love with this iteration.

Zarail

Atom
Nebulae
My first source game (and what made me get Steam in the first place) was Team Fortress 2. I walked into a family member's room and saw him playing some fast-paced shooter game on the computer, and despite usually being reluctant to engage with any media with violence and cursing in it at the time, he let me try it out. I thought it was great and it didn't take long for me to get it on my own sad excuse of a computer (which I mainly used for Minecraft up until that point lol).

After that I got Portal 2, and eventually I got Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, I think after watching a video by gammerman12 (I don't think that video is available anymore sadly) where he was playing it with a group of friends, which I found funny despite barely understanding a word they were saying.

I had been aware that Garry's Mod existed for a while, but I knew jack shit about it and disregarded it simply because I thought the name was stupid. What really made me get it was a video by PewDiePie because 12 year old me was obsessed with his content for a while, and it featured SeaNanners and some other people playing Prop Hunt, and I thought it was hilarious so I wanted to try it out myself in 2013.

I got into Lemonpunch by first joining HL2RP in 2015, having no idea how to play it and unintentionally minging around (whoever it was that was holding an apple I walked up to and ate, I am not sorry). After finding it boring I eventually joined another server - WW3RP - which coincidentally was also part of Lemonpunch. It's where I learned how the roleplaying system actually worked thanks to a very patient drill sergeant. Eventually I would return to HL2RP with this knowledge and spend a lot more time on that until it eventually fell over and died.

And now I'm here.