How do I create a new steam library folder on an external hard drive?

steve maxwell

Proton
Nebulae
Ok, so as the Title says, I'm trying to create a new Steam Library folder on my new external hard drive. Except when I click on anything hard drive related, it just comes up with this: "File must be empty".

The problem Is, is that this hard drive that I have (Seagate expansion drive 2.72 TB) Is completely empty, barring the files that have come with the drive. So is there something I'm not doing right? is there a Step I'm missing? If anyone has an answer, I would really appreciate it.

Chromesthesia_

Hailing from the same town as Sophie Dee
Nebulae
did the hard drive have anything on it before?

did you format it?

have you unhidden the hidden files?

steve maxwell

Proton
Nebulae
did the hard drive have anything on it before?
I tried putting Garry's mod onto the hard drive by dragging it on to the hard drive from my desktop, rather than uninstall/reinstall, and I also added my profile picture onto the drive as well, but both were deleted off the drive again, so It's back to factory setting.

did you format it?

have you unhidden the hidden files?

I will be honest by saying I don't really know how to do either of those.

Chromesthesia_

Nebulae
Yeah, I should've known that. but How do I make a new folder?

its easy, get your steam library folder with all your games in and move that across first make sure you dont have steam open

uninstall steam from control panel or any other means

install steam on external hard drive and if needs must move steam library into new steam folder

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
steam fucking hates it when you have two steam libraries so trying to gmod on a external harddrive on its own will not work
Dunno what you're talking about. I have two Steam game libraries on different hard drives and it works fine except for when installing external Source mods.

Check on your PC how much space is being used on your HD already. If it's a loy being used, look up how to format and do that. Also try creating a new folder on your HD and creating the new Steam Library inside that one.

Chromesthesia_

Nebulae
Dunno what you're talking about. I have two Steam game libraries on different hard drives and it works fine except for when installing external Source mods.

Check on your PC how much space is being used on your HD already. If it's a loy being used, look up how to format and do that. Also try creating a new folder on your HD and creating the new Steam Library inside that one.

ive always had issues with two steam libraries so idk