How to find some closure during and after the death of your character.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Lewis!, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Lewis!

Lewis! Survivor Gaming
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Yeah we all know the feeling, losing that one character, the one you put so much effort into, so much time and dedication, and now they are dead, PKed forever, and just before you could start doing the really cool shit you had planned for them too.

Unfortunately, losing your character is a fact of the server, it will happen eventually and there's nothing you can do about that. But there are some things you can do to find some closure in your character's death, something I think some of us find quite difficult to do for some reason. So here is a 1 AM rant guide on the subject.

Losing a character will often lead you into the famous five stages of grief, albeit it a ridiculous bastardized version because they were literally a fictional character you dreamed up in your head for a dying gamemode, not your beloved Grandmother.

Denial
    (PK Appeal)
    Anger (PK Appeal rated dumb)
    Bargaining (Attempting to find a loophole to get your appeal accepted)
    Depression ("I have nothing else to add, waiting on PK management response")

Now, the 5th and most important stage of Grief is the part when you stop moaning and feeling sorry for yourself and just take a break from the server already to come up with a new idea or just click the create new character button. Seriously, there are a hundred different things you could be doing on other characters, countless stories and ideas you could be exploring, you are going to get over your last character faster by just making a new one. It's such a simple thing to do but people (including myself in the past) get so caught up with what could have been that it just leads to burnout and unnecessarily anger, you can't play them anymore, just accept it and you'll be happier.

Now during your character's actual death on the server, something I highly recommend you do is drag out their death. Now I know that sounds bad, but I'm not asking you to waste the time of the person(s) killing you, that's a dick move. What I want you to do is put some effort into roleplaying their death, man. Lined up against a Nexus wall and shot in the face by Civil Protection? Don't just respond with
    */Me the bullet tears through their skull, blowing their brains out the back of their head, killing them instantly.*
    That is incredibly lame. Make your death gruesome, make it painful to watch, make it heartbreaking. Even if you are just getting shot against a wall, you could roleplay that bullet blowing off your lower jaw, forcing your character to start drowning on their own blood, making their executioner have to choose between shooting them a second time or letting them bleed out. Imagine trying to kill someone swiftly, only to see them drop to the ground drolling and spasming in agony, which is going to have a psychological impact on them. Death can be extended beyond a single /me and it can have an impact on other characters. Their final action, even if it's minuscule still has the potential to create fantastic RP and is a great send-off. So write a paragraph detailing exactly how that shotgun blast spilled your guts all across the floor.

Yep, that's basically it, if you want closure make their death impactful in some way. Their death doesn't even have to mean anything to anyone, as long as it was fun for you to RP out. I'll give you a personal example. My surface Rebel, María, one of the best characters I ever had, loved her to bits ok? She was killed by a zombie, now the PK in this situation was technically my choice, I didn't want her to die but frankly, it would have ruined the whole moment if she had survived having her legs and back ripped open.
    I dragged her death out, I roleplayed her bleeding everywhere, pleading for help and saying her final goodbyes to the people with her, it was harrowing roleplay and her death felt gratifying rather than disappointing, everything had paid off for this final piece of amazing roleplay.

Now obviously there are some limitations to this, I mean you can't exactly make your death impactful if you are mowed down in a sweep with a single S2K /me. Sorry but this guide is for when you face someone who is here to RP not play CS:GO.
    If you are having a problem with people not being willing to go along with your attempt at RP, first just try asking them in LOOC or something, explain what you are trying to do. Chances are they don't realize you are trying to do something interesting with them. I tried RPing surviving the initial pistol shot from a cop and he just sort of stared at me for a few seconds before just unloading his pistol with no further roleplay. So just make an attempt to reason with them, otherwise, just complain to staff that your opponent is refusing to properly roleplay or something IDK.

Just put effort into their death and you'll be happy, trust me.

[​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    all things are finite

never get too attached to a character, their death is assured from the moment you make them

plan new chars all the time, when one dies just take the L and move on to something new

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  3. hangingwithmygnomies

hangingwithmygnomies Why is everyone memeing?
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    That's why the game is called HALF LIFE

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  4. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    full life consequences

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  5. Sasha

Sasha I'm a Marxist—of the Groucho persuasion.
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    cough cough

6. bela lugosi

bela lugosi *sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Another thing that has always helped me is to write an RP doc/short story that kind of acts as the "final chapter" of your character. Perhaps its their literal last moments, or maybe just kind of an overall assessment of what they accomplished. Maybe its in first person from your character's perspective?

I think the thing that frustrates people the most about their character's deaths most of the time is the lack of agency they might have had when their character was being killed. Writing out a story in post has helped me reclaim that lost autonomy over my character and while their death might have not been on my terms, the conclusion to their journey was.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  7. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Prophet of Difference
    Media Developer Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Live for nothing or die for something.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. bigdaddyman413

Nebulae:

Set an end point for your characters and be prepared to let go.

Once he has outlived his usefulness, gotten boring or one of those many things, it's better you preside over your fate and decide your own ending before someone does so for you.

Retire or end them off, an ending you would like, one you control, not some pk hungry asshole or s2k'er.

Whether it be in an event you are destined to die or retire in, that you chose to take up, or a rp situation of your own making that would see the best ending for your character.

Understand that they wont live forever, and maybe prepare for your finale ahead of time.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  9. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac rob-approved!

Nebulae:
    Important note for the dying in a sweep due to S2K stuff, I am certain most cops (at-least myself) are willing to return to the situation/moment of death and RP it out with fixed outcomes so long it don't interfere with other people's RP

• nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. EXODITE.XXX

EXODITE.XXX Edgy Workermain
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Or have a pre-determined "cutoff date" for your character like I'm doing with Sabine, who's getting the big charban in about 4 days barring something ICly big happening (e.g. imprisonment, premature death, more severe cases of alien infestation, maybe even a shotgun marriage).
    That way, you get out of the funk of "wait for something to happen" because you are the something to happen, all the time. Works like a charm.

Or just follow the Paranoia mentality towards your characters. Be entertaining; you're already boned, so have fun on the way down.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  11. Amiro

Amiro The other retarded cwu lead
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Yes. I go with the route @EXODITE.XXX takes. Your character will die, live each day like its the last, cause it legit will be

12. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    For me I learned to really let go of my characters after the end of CW with Howell. She'd been my main for three years at that point and, as befitting her status, I took efforts to keep her alive. I'd poured hundreds of hours of work into her and she's still the best character I've ever played.

But when Helix came around I realised I hadn't had fun for a while. I enjoyed writing her but the paranoia of doing everything to dodge PKable situations I could was starting to get tiring. I took the stance of "whatever happens happens" without trying to get my character killed and it worked so much better.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  13. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    time to read up

• nebulous nebulous x 10
  14. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  15. FreeSpy443

FreeSpy443 Electron

Nebulae:
    If you get bored of a char give them a sendoff when you feel is right

ive been planning kaller's sendoff for a bit since it made sense

kaller has a life all his friemds die he alone he go away and it made sense

a proper sendoff isnt always death and to truly accept that chars are finite, give up a good char, just like that, poof them, and start anew. different people, new story

think of it like arcs

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice